• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 turbo 174 gearing?

MR MOOSE

Lifetime Membership
Ive got an 09 M8 BD RG turbo running 14-15 lbs boost. Im switching to a 172X2.5 track right now and am on the fence about what gearing to run? I had an 09 M1200 with the same 174 a few years ago and ran 55/65 gears but I also had the STM oversized secondary (which i wont have on my M8) and the monstrous torque of the 1200, that setup worked awesome! However, I wont have the STM secondary this time. I know when the turbos spooled up spinning the track wont be a problem, what Im worried about is tree riding and cooking belts? Should I go with the 55/65 again or do the 52/68? Anybody know how to figure track speed out on a DD sled?
Im 265lbs geared and RTR and do mostly tight technical tree riding.
Thanks in advance:face-icon-small-ton

The 174 is the tough part of the equation. I have an 09 tm8 that I tried 55/65. I blew belts two different times because i felt I ran out of gear. I was impressed with the bottom end...way way aggressive, but it wouldn't load the turbo. I had to lighten up weights considerably.. With a 174 it might be just the ticket. Keep us posted.

hind sight being 20/20

I wish I would of bought a 174x 2.5" kit and track vs my 162x3", i have ridden with 174" and there's not alot of difference in the trees it seems. plus it should hep out with the wheeling problem for bigger HP sleds.

but as far as the gearing

I would try stock m8 gearing with the 174x2.5" first, then if you need lower , then spend the $$ to change it.

Last edited:
I wish I would of bought a 174x 2.5" kit and track vs my 162x3", i have ridden with 174" and there's not alot of difference in the trees it seems. plus it should hep out with the wheeling problem for bigger HP sleds.

Don't let wyoboy see that!!

Couldn't agree with you more! In fact that's exactly what I'm doing, I ran the 162X3 last winter and cant wait to get the 174X2.5 back under me!

Couldn't agree with you more! In fact that's exactly what I'm doing, I ran the 162X3 last winter and cant wait to get the 174X2.5 back under me!

What's the pros and cons of doing the 174 2.5 over the 162 3"? I currently have the 162 2.5 extreme and was wanting to do the 162 3" x3 this year.

Pro's are obviously the traction! Con's are the traction lol! I'm a big guy and with the 3" and boost there is no way I can keep the front down, I spend more time feathering the throttle than just riding. I know a suspension would help but it would have to be a KMOD or M10 as I've tried EZRYDE and Timbersled and they just dont cut it. The 174X2.5 just works better for me and my style of riding. If I was running chutes
Or lighter im sure the 3" would rock but as is, I'm not a fan.

I agree

I'm 6'1 -250 without gear, and running a Twisted Turbo at 10PSi on Avgas = 240HP. with a 162x3" climbing the steep stuff- sled is 3 feet in the air, and yes the bars are all the way out, that is what feels best for me, I guess I don't have longazz Monkey arms. ha ha. BUT i would like to have the xtra 6" of track on the ground

MR MOOSE-what octane and elevation are you running at 14-15 psi???
I unload at about 4,000 up to about 8700. I can run a little higher boost maybe 11-12 on Avgas at elevation but haven't been. I have never hit DET sensor, but boost actuator is taped at 10 psi. I'm looking to run 110 octane and crank her to about 12 psi same elevation this winter should put me at about 260HP

I unload around 3500 but quickly climb to 5500-6000 and thats where most of my riding is done. Last season I ran the VP111 and then the Renagade Pro 110 from Michaels. I started out at 10lbs and slowly worked up to 16 but then backed down to 14. I had better luck with the Renagade than I did with the VP.
Comparing the specs on the Renagade to the VP the Renagade was closer to the C12 than the C111. Im guessing thats what I'll be running again this year unless I can find some decent prices on 112-114 octane fuel, if so the boost will be back up to 16 :)

One thing I meant to mention is that even at 16lbs I havent hit the det sensor yet running the Renagade, just in case you were wondering?

Premium Features

Back