• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking at an 02' Dodge cummins, What to look out for?

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
So I did some searches and there seems to be a general consensus on the front end components and the lift pump being problematic but is there anything else to watch out for.

The pickup i'm looking at is an 02' QCLB, 6-speed, H.O. low miles.

Thanks in advance for any comments :face-icon-small-hap

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Personally, I would go for 03 and up truck or 98 12 valve.

Had an 01 HO myself and now have an 03. Like the 03 a lot better. Much better truck.

The injection pumps are notorious for going out in the 98.5-02 trucks and will set u back $1100 just for the pump. Most of the time IP failure is due to lift pump failure, but some just go bad. A bad design by Bosch is to blame.

The track bar and ball joints are the front end problems.

IMO, pass and get a 3rd gen truck.

B
Jan 15, 2010
steamboatsprings co.
i have owned an 03 a 99 currently,and a new megacab,my 99 is a very dependable truck it has 170000 mi on it tranny was rebuilt at 150000 that is a weak spot for that era of truck tthe tranny were weak,if you get the 6 speed and its lower mi i would go for if,they are also good lookin trucks,i have an edge chip in mine,awesome power,ranchhand bumpers front and rear air bags i recommend those,you just haveto accept the fact they all have issues no matter what you buy my new one has been in the shop many times for that stupid emission crap,but o well thats life,if the price is right i say go for it.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Ya, i have looked at some of the gen 3 pickups too. I like the real crew cab versus the quad/ex cab of the gen 2's. But i found this one:

This is a 2002 dodge 2500 SLT Laramie extra cab that is absolutely the cleanest truck you will find. Along with the high output cummins, the six speed manual will hook up to all of your toys and pull with ease. The truck color is black exterior, and the leather interior is black as well. Truck includes c/d, tape, pw, pl, pm, heated leather seats, linex bedliner, and almost brand new Big O 285 all terrain tires! This truck really does look like it just came off the showroom floor! Pretty hard to find a p/u with 34000 miles on it from 2002, let alone a 3/4 ton loaded dodge H.O. cummins diesel 4x4. I really do love this truck, but unfortunately have had some set backs. Got to let'er go.

They want 18,900 for it, that's where i'm kinda in a bind because you can find newer ones for the same price or a little more. I might be able to get the price down some but there arn't hardly any miles on it (so they say). Havn't had a chance to go look at it yet. The only other catch is the color, not sure about the black?

B

BEN C

Dec 24, 2008
Every truck has its problems!!
I have had a 97 12v with 350k miles put some mods on it and it riped good truck
AND A 01 6SP HO 2WD DUALLY was a pullin machine the IP was out when i got the truck put a new one in my self not to bad to do like 3hrs that truck was a good truck!
now i have a 03 cc longbed dodge and i went to an auto trans dont like it as much as the 6sp and they have injectors that go bad and can cost a lot of money

so just find one you like!!!!! and roll coal

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/1658401755.html

nice truck but not an HO

MY BUDDY JUST GOT AN 2000 DODGE DIESEL qc 4x4 5sp 91k wholesale and payed 12,000 super clean truck

hope this helps

Reactions: tcpeterson

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Like was already said, supply pump, VP44 pump, but main thing to look for is the "53" block. There know for cracking & leaking coolant. Do a search on any cummins forum for the 53 block made in Brazil.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Thanks for the heads up, ya i'm gonna take my good buddy with me to go look at it. He know's these trucks inside and out. He's got a built 97' 12V and his dad has on 01' with 310,000 miles on it. These two trucks got me looking at the dodges in the first place. I've always been a chevy guy myself. But ya i'll keep the 53 block in mind. Thanks!!

smitty5.9

Premium Member
Mar 14, 2009
Foothills of west side
'02 info

I have that truck, only with @ 170K.
I love the 6 speed. The engine/trans combo is why I bought it new. Many components on the '02 need to be upgraded to make it what Chrysler should have built at the factory. The 3rd gen track bar and upgraded steering components are a must. The fuel lift pump also has to be fixed or you will take out the injection pump. Gauges are nice but the fuel pressure gauge is absolutely required on this era of Dodge. The '01/02 HO is the loudest of the Cummins engines hands down but they can get great mileage and the drivetrain itself is really reliable. How can you go wrong with a straight 6 diesel, manual trans, and Dana 60/80 diffs?
This year does well in stock form but some upgraded injectors and other mods really make these trucks run well and still get great mileage.
I have a love/hate relationship with my rig - I love the engine but get frustrated with the many upgrades I've had to do to make the truck what I want. My wife drives an '04, also with the diesel and hers has not required any front-end parts, is more quiet, and is more car-like to drive (at 130k). If you buy this truck be mindful of the upgrades you will need to do and make sure you don't overpay for it even with low mileage. I would be happy to tell you what I've done, both good and bad over the 8 years I've had this truck.
Ben C has it right - every truck has its problems. Ask Chevy and Ford guys and they will have their own problems to deal with so pick your poison and have fun! Having both the '02 and the '04 in the driveway... I prefer the '02.
Smitty

B

BEN C

Dec 24, 2008
one other thing you can turn the key ON OFF 3 times and it will pull codes in where the miles show

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
I've got a 99.5 24V truck with 300,000 miles, I've replaced the tranny and TPS sensor. The current VP has way over 100,000 miles with a good lift pump, I'm using an Airdog 150 and have a fuel pressure gauge on my chip display.

Yes the 2nd Gen are notorious for injection pump failers with a stock lift pump! But the 3rd gens are also notorious for having Injector problems, Which cost the same or more as a good reman VP.

Premium Features