• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lolo Pass and Officer Wiggins

M
Dec 20, 2007
Missoula Montana
Just thought I would see if I am the only one out there that thinks we should try and get Officer Wiggins promotied with the Idaho Highway Patrol so he would not have to be up at the Pass every day. This guy is a real peach to deal with. Just my 2 cents worth.

M
Dec 20, 2007
Missoula Montana
well the parking lot was pretty full and I was trying to stay out of the way of the FS Office and skiiers so i parked the truck and four place at the far end of our lot and the side and he did not like it and made me park damn near in front of the bathrooms in the middle of every one skiiers and cars all over. It made me say I will never park up hear agian and just park at the Hot Springs.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Man, I haven't parked at Elk Meadows in a long time....ever since they put that gate in there, that sucks down low. We used to drive up high to the bench when I was a kid and unload up there.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
He is a total waste of tax dollars!!
If anything he should be helping people get across the road.
LITTLE MAN WITH LITTLE STICK WITH A BADGE.
Typical cop!!!

B
Dec 31, 2007
Lolo, MT
Yeah, some sledder is gonna get pegged from some vehicle coming from the Idaho side one of these days with the berm so high.

The "proper" left turn lane into the parking lot at the pass is dangerous, so we always go through the semi pull through and we got lectured yesterday by the FS that it's a violation and a ticket is over $170 bucks. Wiggins was right there lecturing another rig in front of us. Last week the FS had us parking right behind trailers on the side, so how do they load up their sleds? The obvious answer is pull into the semi area and load up, but what about the $170 ticket? For cryin' out loud.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I guess it's good to see that there are crappy tree cops everywhere, not just Colorado. Ah you gotta love the power trip!

M
Dec 20, 2007
Missoula Montana
Went by the pass on Sat. Could not belive how many people were up there. Went by Office Wiggins when crossing the hwy. He just staired at us so i started waving at him till he waved back. I got a good chuckle out of that. I think next weekend I will bring him some home made cookies or prehaps some brownies. what do you guys think about this?

He is quite the authority figure. The one who is on a power trip because he was probably picked on or was picked last at recess. He has harassed us at least ten times. We now try to park down lower or up the east fork. I used to have his supervisors number in lewiston but can't find it anymore. Call the Idaho State Troopers and comment. as long as it's legitimate. He pulled my dad over for 52 in a 50 just past lochsa lodge. And once when the wheel bearing went out on my pickup he didn't offer to do any thing other than tell us that we couldn't leave it for more than 48 hours or else get it towed away. Okay he bothers me a little.

M
Dec 20, 2007
Missoula Montana
Well I guess it's to bad, I was thinking it was just me having troubles with the little prick. Its just funny to me to see some one so small be so angree. I am going to try and fight back with overwellming kindness and see how he deals with that. Ill keep you posted.

F
Jan 23, 2008
o yeah wiggy is a real winner. he tried to explain to my buddy that if we got off the trails we were in idaho, when we were clearly in montana. then took down the licens plate and said we had to drive down in idaho and get our idaho stickers or else, what im not sure. how far is it to get to the top from the parking lot at the bar? cuz id rather not have to deal with wiggy anymore, but if u find wiggy's supervisors fone # i'd sure call in and raise some hell.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
What is the exact rule for licensing in MT and Idaho???? If you start in MT and ride into Idaho, do you still an Idaho tag? If you get off the trail only?

Z

zgo138

Jan 23, 2008
Minnesota
The Guy needs to go!!!

Just thought I would see if I am the only one out there that thinks we should try and get Officer Wiggins promotied with the Idaho Highway Patrol so he would not have to be up at the Pass every day. This guy is a real peach to deal with. Just my 2 cents worth.

Ya, I agree that this "little prick" needs go get out and find somewhere else to haraas people!! I was up there on monday (MLK day), there were 3 rigs with trailers in the one parking lot, and there were about 5 subarus in the main parking lot, a pretty slow day if you ask me. I pulled in with just my truck and the sled in the back, I accidentally went in the wrong way from the montana side where there are only supposed to be semis entering. He fingered me down, made me back up, exit the right way, pull out on the highway and go in the right way just to park, no ifs ands or buts about it. Did he seriously need to be in the parking lot that day? the place was closed for crying out loud I could think of a hundred other places that needed more assistance than I did!!!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Montana and Idaho have a reciprocal aggreement.

You do NOT have to have Idaho tags to ride the state line if you unload in Montana.

I know this to be FACT because I'm friends with Steve Frost at the Idaho Dept of Off Highway Use, or whatever his office is called. He is one of the big dogs for sledding laws in Idaho. He is stationed out of Fairfield, Idaho.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
As for the Lolo Pass area it has been explained to me that if you stay on the groomed trails then an Idaho permit is NOT needed but if you ride off the groomed trails then you WILL need an Idaho permit as per the fish cops that are checking that area.

Idaho permits are sold at the Hot Springs if needed.

Has anyone ever been fined by Officer Wiggins ?

M
Dec 20, 2007
Missoula Montana
no I have never heard of any one being fined by him. We left from the hot springs today and headed up to the warming hut. I think is might even be alitte closer than parking up at the pass and not to mention the dealing with mr. wiggins. IF you try and offer him some cookies he will take one. At leased he had one i gave him. forgot to mention to him I made it with exlax.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
no I have never heard of any one being fined by him. mr. wiggins. IF you try and offer him some cookies he will take one. At leased he had one i gave him. forgot to mention to him I made it with exlax.

I haven't heard of anyone being fined either. How was the road up the East Fork? Is it plowed and icy to the bridge?

Sounds like your special cookies will speak for themselves. :D

Last edited:
Premium Features