• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Live Demonstration on Clutch Balancing

interesting......

I can understand how the clutch (s) can affect the wear on the crankshaft bearings. I have a 07 Renegade 800 HO PTEK that needs a new crank and bearings after just 3,000 miles. Seems like this issue affected many of Doo's 800 engines. Frustrating issue for the owners, no doubt. :face-icon-small-sad

Thanks for the video and explanations.

When your showing the run out with the clutch in the sled running is the dial indicator mounted to the chassis or the motor?

When your showing the run out with the clutch in the sled running is the dial indicator mounted to the chassis or the motor?

Not to discredit anything Perk has here but it sure looked like the tip of the indicator was actually bouncing off the clutch. I know the movement was excessive but with an extra .030" of bounce it gets bigger.

Also like wild child said "was the indicator mounted to the motor or the chassis. If the chassis you would see the movement in the motor mounts and such also.

Again great info Perk, keep it coming.

Thunder

I think the point of the dial indicator on the idling engine was just to show the movement created by an out of balance clutch, not necessarily the exact amount of movement.
Perk, can you post a video or give us some indication of how much movement would be seen on the same idling engine AFTER a clutch is balanced? And then after a complete rotating assembly/crank is balanced?
Also, do you have the ability to balance a QRS secondary/jackshaft assembly? Thanks!

Perk, another question for you. Do you find the newer TRA7's to be (generally) farther out of balance than '06 and previous TRA's? Thanks again!

Clutch balancing

The indicator is mounted on a 6" x6" steel pole next to the sled and the indicator remains on the clutch when running it. The centrifugal force caused by the unbalance is moving the indicator .100.
I can not balance the secondary clutch if the jack shaft is in place but if you can remove it then I can balance the secondary. And yes the newer primary clutches have a greater unbalance.

Brew, I don't think the indicator would change after the clutch was balanced...according to Perk the original imbalance was caused by a slight bulge in the clutch which he does not remove... he compensates by altering weights in other surface areas of the clutch. The needle would still jump imo.

I'm probably off on this but ?? Idk

Clutch balancing

The .025 run out in clutch would remain but the other .075 jumping of the clutch after balance would be GONE. After balance everything runs smooth no more motor jumping as well (that's if the motor is balanced as well as the clutch)

Perk, the Doo QRS and jackshaft are one piece/pressed together...I can send you a assembly this summer if you want to look into possibly setting something up to do these??? Will be sending you my primary when the season is over....at least one more ride, lots of snow still.

The .025 run out in clutch would remain but the other .075 jumping of the clutch after balance would be GONE. After balance everything runs smooth no more motor jumping as well (that's if the motor is balanced as well as the clutch)

Is there any movement from the fact that the engine is running, even if it is balanced? eg. combustion itself, uneven combustion per side, uneven compression.
How about weak motor mounts magnifing your results?
Would a clutch have to be as new, as the wear and play in the outter sheave and internal parts give false readings?
Does the outter sheave stay balanced as it moves in towards the belt? Or does the movement of the roller arms change things as the move?
Wasn't the design of the dampener on the TRA supposed to help the unbalancing? ( your view )

Live demonstration

:face-icon-small-win No change to the balance when the clutch is moving in and out. The clutch on the youtube has new parts in the clutch. The combustion and or exhaust both cause a shaking under the hood. But when the crank is balanced the centrifugal forces go away. Basically on my sled that 922 lb. bowling ball (on both sides of motor and opposite angles) at 8000 rpm is gone. Yes if your motor mounts are bad then yes the vibration will be worst.

Premium Features

Back