• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Let's see what you think!

R
Oct 25, 2020
A modern 850 is a very powerful and capable sled for a new rider...I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Agreed! It's 2020.. at the end of the day.. all of the sleds out there are pretty remarkable.

I've been riding 850 summits the last two years. Another buddy owns a rental business and so I've taken those out around 15 times.

• Haha
Reactions: mountaintop

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Sounds like you're on track to make the right choice! I've only rode a turbo briefly, I can't offer much personal opinion. That said, the variety of opinions I've heard from people who've owned one (or more) is surprising. Not everyone I've talked to who's rode them gets addicted: some guys go back to NA, especially for tree riding and technical terrain. The 850 has great power as-is; you've got to be a steep and high rider to really need more. And, if that is you, there are plenty of options. Another option: someone who's rode both (a lot) tweaked a twin pipe 850 last season, and tells me it has no problem hanging with pump gas turbos...

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Thanks for the input!

I think I am going to follow through on the 2020 850 purchase. It was a 2020 snow check, 450 miles. 163, 2.6. It has a few nice accessories as well. $12,500.

Only reason I considered the 800 turbo is because I will be riding at 7,000 feet plus at all times. My buddy owns a dealer and they have a brand new 2020, 163, 2.6 800 BD turbo sled for $13,000.

I would have a hard time paying $12,500 for a used sled with 450 miles.

If your buddy owns a dealer and can get you that good of a deal on a turbo, surely he can get you some better deal on a brand new stock machine right?

R
Oct 25, 2020
This 850 had a diamond s titanium can, light clutches and was a snow check so it still has 3 years of warranty. I feel like the price is fair considering my local market. (Utah) I think I will sell this sled next year for a khaos.

I’m all ears though. What do you feel like I should be paying? The 800 turbo was a sweet deal because of the $2k rebate that expired yesterday.

Reactions: mtncat1
R
Oct 25, 2020
Sounds like you're on track to make the right choice! I've only rode a turbo briefly, I can't offer much personal opinion. That said, the variety of opinions I've heard from people who've owned one (or more) is surprising. Not everyone I've talked to who's rode them gets addicted: some guys go back to NA, especially for tree riding and technical terrain. The 850 has great power as-is; you've got to be a steep and high rider to really need more. And, if that is you, there are plenty of options. Another option: someone who's rode both (a lot) tweaked a twin pipe 850 last season, and tells me it has no problem hanging with pump gas turbos...

Thank you! I think the 850 is going to be sweet. I loved the ski doo 850’s I’ve been riding the last few years.

Reactions: BeartoothBaron

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
This 850 had a diamond s titanium can, light clutches and was a snow check so it still has 3 years of warranty. I feel like the price is fair considering my local market. (Utah) I think I will sell this sled next year for a khaos.

I’m all ears though. What do you feel like I should be paying? The 800 turbo was a sweet deal because of the $2k rebate that expired yesterday.

Well, with those extras and 3 years left of warranty, that's probably more acceptable. I would say get it and enjoy it for all 3 years of warranty, but I don't know what your money situation looks like. If you got a lot more than me, then sure, go ahead and grab a new Khaos next year. Far be it from me to tell a dude he can't have a new sled every year.

But I do think the warranty is only transferable once, so with you being the second owner, those last two years of warranty will go down the toilet if you sell it.

R
Oct 25, 2020
Well, with those extras and 3 years left of warranty, that's probably more acceptable. I would say get it and enjoy it for all 3 years of warranty, but I don't know what your money situation looks like. If you got a lot more than me, then sure, go ahead and grab a new Khaos next year. Far be it from me to tell a dude he can't have a new sled every year.

But I do think the warranty is only transferable once, so with you being the second owner, those last two years of warranty will go down the toilet if you sell it.

Good to know on the warranty. I love these forums... they are a huge help.

I was just thinking that I could find a year old khaos next year that has QD2 and 163/165 with a warranty. Those are only new snow checks this year. But.. talk is cheap right now till I get on one and see how I like them!

What are you currently riding?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Good to know on the warranty. I love these forums... they are a huge help.

I was just thinking that I could find a year old khaos next year that has QD2 and 163/165 with a warranty. Those are only new snow checks this year. But.. talk is cheap right now till I get on one and see how I like them!

What are you currently riding?

I'm on a 2018 800 155. Money is very finite for me, as is wrenching know-how, and I really don't trust the Polaris engines for very long, so my general method is to try to buy holdover in season model in order to get the price down really low and then buy the 4 year warranty and get close to all 4 years out of it before selling it for hopefully about 2/3-3/4 of what I paid for it. Polaris has made a machine with the AXYS chassis that is just WAY too much fun to not have, but I'm short enough on cash that I have to approach it in a way that REALLY minimizes my dollars lost not only on depreciation, but also on maintenance and repairs.

R
Oct 25, 2020
I'm on a 2018 800 155. Money is very finite for me, as is wrenching know-how, and I really don't trust the Polaris engines for very long, so my general method is to try to buy holdover in season model in order to get the price down really low and then buy the 4 year warranty and get close to all 4 years out of it before selling it for hopefully about 2/3-3/4 of what I paid for it. Polaris has made a machine with the AXYS chassis that is just WAY too much fun to not have, but I'm short enough on cash that I have to approach it in a way that REALLY minimizes my dollars lost not only on depreciation, but also on maintenance and repairs.

That's a smart way to go about it. This isn't a huge purchase for me, but I am still smart with my money. Money is made (or lost) in the purchase price. If I can ride this sled this coming winter and only lose a little bit on it, I'll be happy. I might end up keeping this one longer term and play the warranty route out like you do. That is a great idea. Reality is, these sleds are amazing and I probably won't get a great return on my "upgrade" next year if I do go the khaos route.

I think I'll be happy on this 2020. The khaos I was after costed around $3,500 more. I can put that money towards some good gear.

Reactions: Escmanaze

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
That's a smart way to go about it. This isn't a huge purchase for me, but I am still smart with my money. Money is made (or lost) in the purchase price. If I can ride this sled this coming winter and only lose a little bit on it, I'll be happy. I might end up keeping this one longer term and play the warranty route out like you do. That is a great idea. Reality is, these sleds are amazing and I probably won't get a great return on my "upgrade" next year if I do go the khaos route.

I think I'll be happy on this 2020. The khaos I was after costed around $3,500 more. I can put that money towards some good gear.
your pro rmk can be easily converted to the khaos for way less than that.

Reactions: Raptorutah
R
Oct 25, 2020
You didn't say what your riding experience is? If you don't have at least a couple hard years riding, then a turbo is simply too much for about 98% of all new riders, especially in the trees. No offence intended. :)

I have 2 years of experience on a sled. Around 7-10 times a season on 850 summits. I've been riding motocross, stand up jet ski's and every off road vehicle out there for years. It definitely helped the learning curve on the sled.

• Sad
Reactions: b-litt and mtncat1
N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Ok, 20 rides is a newbie in my mind (again, no offence intended), but the turbo still might be the right choice for you, if this describes you.

1. young, lean and strong
2. Excellent athlete, hand eye coordination and balance
3. Aggressive approach to life, competitive
4. Consistently riding at high altitudes, above 8000'
5. Fearless, willing to fail and suffer the physical and financial consequences

Having ridden with hundreds of people #5 is always the deciding (fear) factor for how good the person can become as a rider. A timid/fearful person never becomes an excellent rider. (That statement is not directed towards you, as I don't know you) :)

• Love
Reactions: Sheetmetalfab

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
What parts need to switched to turn it into a khaos?
if you don't consider the shocks package in the transition.

make your own research since it isn't a topic I'm really interested in myself but I believe it is:

ice age khaos rails
FTS(different length) raptor offer an adapter
limiter strap

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
Ok, 20 rides is a newbie in my mind (again, no offence intended), but the turbo still might be the right choice for you, if this describes you.

1. young, lean and strong
2. Excellent athlete, hand eye coordination and balance
3. Aggressive approach to life, competitive
4. Consistently riding at high altitudes, above 8000'
5. Fearless, willing to fail and suffer the physical and financial consequences

Having ridden with hundreds of people #5 is always the deciding (fear) factor for how good the person can become as a rider. A timid/fearful person never becomes an excellent rider. (That statement is not directed towards you, as I don't know you) :)

Good list, But.
You forgot the most important attribute for turbo ownership.

Wants more power...........

Everything else is fluff.

Anyone who says “you don’t need it” just translates into “I can’t afford it so if I convince you not to do it my self worth is greater”

After riding NA for 15 years I’m riding boost at sea level - 6k and I wish I would’ve done it sooner..........

It’s just plain fun factor.

Reactions: live2beel and damx
N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
No doubt, power is fun! However too many riders try to substitute power for their lack of riding ability, it doesn't work for them very well except on the trail or the meadows. A turbo gets a less capable rider into terrain that their capabilities are not ready for, then they are parking the sled into trees, or worse they get separated from the sled and it does a ghost ride to the nearest tree, that gets spendy pretty quick. :)

I think it a better idea to spend that turbo money on a riding clinic (for most riders).

As a general rule a rider should try to match the power to their riding ability, not to their ego. :)

Last edited:

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
$1500 kit from Ice Age converts a Pro to a Khaos using Rails, limiter strap, and Fox shocks. Simple bolt in change over. Very cost effective.

A
Dec 16, 2018
I had a 2019 850 and went back to a Khaos 800 with a turbo...now having said that, I also Snowchecked a 2021 Khaos 850 as I feel they have worked out the issue from 2019 now. Therefore, if you can...go with both!

Premium Features