• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kurts gear down kit vs Polaris'

If you are talking about going to a QD2 set up vs aftermarket like Kurt’s or TKI I would go aftermarket for simple cost of replacement belts alone. The ratios you can get are similar or the same in some cases to the QD2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used TKI on an earlier sled and his products are awesome and service is top notch... have QD2 on my new one so will stick to that for now.

If you are just comparing qd2 to kurts. Does kurts have their lower gear ratio out yet? The tradition kurts axys kit and the qd2 are quite different ratios. All the kits are very good. Depends on how much money you wanna spend, what pulley ratio you want and whether or not you want factory parts.

I called kurts about there lower gear kit. And got told that they will not be making it.

Those using tki, what top gear are you using?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Depends. The 3" track has 21" circumference drivers and the 2.6" track uses 20.02" circumference drivers. (and 3.5" x 6 tooth drivers) The Quick-drives use a 63 bottom gear TKI replacement gear and the chain-case replacement belt drives use 58 tooth bottom gear. And then there is track length to consider and are you running an 800 or an 850?

Typically I default to gear this way:

Always calculate back to the equivalent to 8 tooth 2.86" pitch drivers like the old Pro-Rides. This means for a 7 tooth, 3" pitch or 6 tooth, 3.5 pitch driver the ratio is divided by 0.92 Also the 2.86 pitch, 7 tooth drivers will have the ratio divided by 0.875.

For smaller lighter tracks and those who decide to run stock gearing I recommend 2.4:1 (equivalent) gearing and those that have the heavier tracks or will take advantage of clutching, the most gains I have had are at 2.52:1 (equivalent)

Altitude also can be a factor.

I ran 25 top gear on my 2019 x 174 3" with the chain to belt kit. (58 bottom gear) 58/25=2.32 now divide by 0.92 = 2.52:1 (and I tried 24 and 26)

For the stock Axys with a belt to belt kit I would run a 30 top gear. (63 bottom gear) 63/30 = 2.1 now divide by 0.875 = 2.4

The new Quickdrive 2 I believe is 50:22 or 2.27:1, divide by 0.92 = 2.47:1 (equivalent to 8 tooth 2.86" pitch drivers)

I have found that at my altitude (4000-7000 ft) there are clutching gains to be had at that ratio for a 163 track. The stock clutching feels a bit sluggish and gearing down can make them feel as they are revving more but not loading enough. Just my experience.

Last edited:
Depends. The 3" track has 21" circumference drivers and the 2.6" track uses 20.02" circumference drivers. (and 3.5" x 6 tooth drivers) The Quick-drives use a 63 bottom gear TKI replacement gear and the chain-case replacement belt drives use 58 tooth bottom gear. And then there is track length to consider and are you running an 800 or an 850?

Typically I default to gear this way:

Always calculate back to the equivalent to 8 tooth 2.86" pitch drivers like the old Pro-Rides. This means for a 7 tooth, 3" pitch or 6 tooth, 3.5 pitch driver the ratio is divided by 0.92 Also the 2.86 pitch, 7 tooth drivers will have the ratio divided by 0.875.

For smaller lighter tracks and those who decide to run stock gearing I recommend 2.4:1 (equivalent) gearing and those that have the heavier tracks or will take advantage of clutching, the most gains I have had are at 2.52:1 (equivalent)

Altitude also can be a factor.

I ran 25 top gear on my 2019 x 174 3" with the chain to belt kit. (58 bottom gear) 58/25=2.32 now divide by 0.92 = 2.52:1 (and I tried 24 and 26)

For the stock Axys with a belt to belt kit I would run a 30 top gear. (63 bottom gear) 63/30 = 2.1 now divide by 0.875 = 2.4

The new Quickdrive 2 I believe is 50:22 or 2.27:1, divide by 0.92 = 2.47:1 (equivalent to 8 tooth 2.86" pitch drivers)

I have found that at my altitude (4000-7000 ft) there are clutching gains to be had at that ratio for a 163 track. The stock clutching feels a bit sluggish and gearing down can make them feel as they are revving more but not loading enough. Just my experience.
Maybe you can help me with my sled. I have a 2019 3" that had the chain drive 163. I did install a TKI belt drive kit. My intent was to gear down - I ordered/installed a 24 tooth upper from Tom. Did i go the wrong way?

Maybe you can help me with my sled. I have a 2019 3" that had the chain drive 163. I did install a TKI belt drive kit. My intent was to gear down - I ordered/installed a 24 tooth upper from Tom. Did i go the wrong way?

The 19 with chain case had 2.52:1 equivalent gearing (to a 8 tooth driver 2.86 pitch). The 25 top TKI would be equal to that. Your 24 would be lower gearing and for my clutching it was not better than the 25. Not sure what clutching you are running so it could be better for you. I also did not like the belt wrapping with such a tight bend so I stuck with the 25.

Premium Features

Back