• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KMOD k motion turn key skid on 850 G4 review

I ran a Tom's kit with Evol R shocks last year on my 174. It is a great skid and rides really well. It doesn't get up on the snow like a KMod will however and will not control front end lift on a turbo sled like the KMod either. I let Tom talk me into Evols after swearing I would never do another set of air shocks a few years ago. Tom is GREAT to work with and did everything asked of him and then some, he even overnighted me a set of ski shocks with new valving in them after a known warranty issue with Fox so I wouldn't miss a day on the snow. I highly recommend Tom's Snowmobile and his emotion rear skid kit for anyone looking to upgrade the stock skid on a stock hp sled.

HOWEVER, if you are running any kind of power enhanced sled, ESPECIALLY on a shorter track sled, the KMod is superior in both getting up on the snow and staying there while also giving you the ability to control the ski lift when pulling steep inclines. Yes the KMod is more expensive, BUT, look at what you are getting for your $25-2600 dollars. High quality COILOVER shocks that are EASY to make adjustments to on the mountain and get them tuned to your liking... and once tuned they stay there no matter what elevation changes you make. In order for an air shock to do this you would need to fill them with nitrogen to keep the pressures consistent over a wide range of elevations. You also get Iceage rails, with a better approach angle and no tip up at the rear, anodized to keep snow off of them if you choose, and are far stronger than the stock rails. You get a far superior skid GEOMETRY, not an overworked, albeit much better riding, version of the stock skid. If you choose to do so you can also sell your complete stock skid (should bring 800-1000 or more on the open market for someone looking for an upgrade to tmotion) which brings your overall investment down to around $1600-$1800 for a complete KMod.

Again, I can't say enough great things about Tom and his emotion kit. It works great and he is excellent to deal with. But for someone looking for that ultimate in performance and ride, the KMod is just better all around. And I've owned and ridden them both for more than just a spin around the parking lot. This is just my opinion based on my OWN experience, sorry if it offends anyone.

I guess both my BoonDocker turbo'd XMs can't make the crazy HP your Impulse makes. Ski lift was never a problem on either of my turbo sleds. Convincing a spring guy to go air shocks is like convincing a Bernie Sanders supporter to vote Trump

I guess both my BoonDocker turbo'd XMs can't make the crazy HP your Impulse makes. Ski lift was never a problem on either of my turbo sleds. Convincing a spring guy to go air shocks is like convincing a Bernie Sanders supporter to vote Trump

HAHA, I guess someone did get their panties in a bunch. I've run A LOT of air shocks in my day, how many Raptors or Exits have you tried? I didn't say air shocks suck or that they don't work, I just don't prefer them. Crapping on my personal preference actually makes you sound exactly like a Bernie supporter... you sure you don't have something to share? You remind me of those guys that think whatever they have at the time is the best stuff ever and everyone else is an idiot. I'm not trying to convince you to buy a KMod, your mind is already made up no matter what anyone says, which is a bit confusing since you're in a KMod review thread doing your best to derail it. Now you've even brought who's turbo is the best into the mix, lmao! Sorry my opinion triggered your safe space butterfly, have a nice day.

HAHA, I guess someone did get their panties in a bunch. I've run A LOT of air shocks in my day, how many Raptors or Exits have you tried? I didn't say air shocks suck or that they don't work, I just don't prefer them. Crapping on my personal preference actually makes you sound exactly like a Bernie supporter... you sure you don't have something to share? You remind me of those guys that think whatever they have at the time is the best stuff ever and everyone else is an idiot. I'm not trying to convince you to buy a KMod, your mind is already made up no matter what anyone says, which is a bit confusing since you're in a KMod review thread doing your best to derail it. Now you've even brought who's turbo is the best into the mix, lmao! Sorry my opinion triggered your safe space butterfly, have a nice day.

Hmm. I never once "crapped" on your personal preference. I even PM'd NWAXYS about meeting up and getting to try his set up before you posted in this thread. Read my posts there is nothing I am stating bad about KMod or coil over shocks. You are the only one here that looks to have panties that are bunched. You did in fact state that the keeping the skis down the KMod is far superior. And insinuated that I am talking about the Tom's on a stock HP sled. The only fact I stated was the Tom's with the more affordable price could be a better option for most. You have no idea about the background of my opinions. I wasn't referring to you as a "spring guy" as I actually read other people's posts before spouting off about panties being bunched, and saw you stated you have run air shocks before. Bret Rasmussen and Tony Jenkins told me that I wouldn't like the Tom's and I should stick to the RCS titanium coil over package I was running for my turbo sleds. These guy are both "spring guys." Fox couldn't pay them enough money to make them run air shocks. This is also the reason why Fox released a coil over shock for guys that refuse to run air shocks. I was always open to trying whatever and I tried running Tom's on my "Non HP enhanced" sled as you would like to call it and loved the way the sled handled. After numerous phone conversations with Tom, I then went against the advice of Bret and Tony and threw the Tom's on my turbo and it performed better IMO than the RCS set up. I have never had an issue with Ski lift running Tom's on my turbos(154 or 163.) And I have more than a spin around the parking lot on a Kmod sled. I have ridden a Trygstad 872 163 XM with the Kmod set up in the backcountry in difficult terrain. I'm sorry you think stating that a more affordable option could possibly be a better set up because of the price point. Believe me I am all about wasting money as I am very fortunate too have some to waste but I would say for most the Tom's is going to perform well.

Hmm. I never once "crapped" on your personal preference. I even PM'd NWAXYS about meeting up and getting to try his set up before you posted in this thread. Read my posts there is nothing I am stating bad about KMod or coil over shocks. You are the only one here that looks to have panties that are bunched. You did in fact state that the keeping the skis down the KMod is far superior. And insinuated that I am talking about the Tom's on a stock HP sled. The only fact I stated was the Tom's with the more affordable price could be a better option for most. You have no idea about the background of my opinions. I wasn't referring to you as a "spring guy" as I actually read other people's posts before spouting off about panties being bunched, and saw you stated you have run air shocks before. Bret Rasmussen and Tony Jenkins told me that I wouldn't like the Tom's and I should stick to the RCS titanium coil over package I was running for my turbo sleds. These guy are both "spring guys." Fox couldn't pay them enough money to make them run air shocks. This is also the reason why Fox released a coil over shock for guys that refuse to run air shocks. I was always open to trying whatever and I tried running Tom's on my "Non HP enhanced" sled as you would like to call it and loved the way the sled handled. After numerous phone conversations with Tom, I then went against the advice of Bret and Tony and threw the Tom's on my turbo and it performed better IMO than the RCS set up. I have never had an issue with Ski lift running Tom's on my turbos(154 or 163.) And I have more than a spin around the parking lot on a Kmod sled. I have ridden a Trygstad 872 163 XM with the Kmod set up in the backcountry in difficult terrain. I'm sorry you think stating that a more affordable option could possibly be a better set up because of the price point. Believe me I am all about wasting money as I am very fortunate too have some to waste but I would say for most the Tom's is going to perform well.

Another thing about Rasmussen, he likes to keep the torsion springs. That is a whole other level of "spring guy".

So you're really going to claim that this wasn't directed toward me? LOL. You really are a liberal, safe space, huffington post lover aren't you?

You can't seem to get over it, but I'm just giving my honest opinion on a few things I've actually spent a full season or more using and tuning. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone. I understand you disagree with my opinion and that's great! I'm glad your setup worked for you and I'm sure it did or you wouldn't claim that it did. There's a lot of great options out there, we are lucky to have so many good companies offering up their best for our enjoyment!

As far as the RCS titanium sprung shocks, they were never great. They are available on the KMod, for the super rich guys like you (I've also read a lot of YOUR posts, congrats on the money!), but neither Kevin at KMod nor Jake at Raptor recommend them because they just don't work as well as a steel sprung shock. Sorry you found that out the hard way.

Rasmussen, along with many others, believe that the torsion springs on the stock tmotion skid work the best for tmotion. And when you think about how the torsions work on the outside of the skid, forcing the tmotion back to center when unloaded, it kinda makes sense.

So you're really going to claim that this wasn't directed toward me? LOL. You really are a liberal, safe space, huffington post lover aren't you?

You can't seem to get over it, but I'm just giving my honest opinion on a few things I've actually spent a full season or more using and tuning. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone. I understand you disagree with my opinion and that's great! I'm glad your setup worked for you and I'm sure it did or you wouldn't claim that it did. There's a lot of great options out there, we are lucky to have so many good companies offering up their best for our enjoyment!

As far as the RCS titanium sprung shocks, they were never great. They are available on the KMod, for the super rich guys like you (I've also read a lot of YOUR posts, congrats on the money!), but neither Kevin at KMod nor Jake at Raptor recommend them because they just don't work as well as a steel sprung shock. Sorry you found that out the hard way.

Rasmussen, along with many others, believe that the torsion springs on the stock tmotion skid work the best for tmotion. And when you think about how the torsions work on the outside of the skid, forcing the tmotion back to center when unloaded, it kinda makes sense.

That comment was made in jest because you said HP enhanced like I hadn't ridden a non stock sled... Was just stating I have turbos too. If you have read my posts you'd see that I have said I thought Paul's is the best running set up I have seen. Definitely wasn't comparing my BoonDocker to your Impulse. I was stating the Spring guys comment wasn't directed at you. You read into everything too much. I'm not trying to start a fight either. I could careless what you think of me.

I knew you ran the BD kit for a year or two, so I wasn't implying that you didn't know what hp was.

At any rate will be doing few different demo days this year in WA. We'll get more info out and every one can test and see what they think. Imo k mod is best $ can buy! If you wanna come rip w us ever just call and we will go. Chadly look forward to it

New report

Chadly.... Got some reports for you guys... So it dumped 2-3 feet and we got freshies today...my buddy on his stock w can 850 154x3", my stock 850 165 x3" w kmod k motion skid, and our buddy t3 163 tom e motion and trygsdad 872 kit w tki belt.

We lined up twice in the bottom of a big bowl that was steep.... You couldn't climb out from dead stop at bottom of hill. So the 154" would turn out first and was non existent in the race mostly( although he goes places that blows me away for 154") my 850 and the trygsdad sled would stay dead even the first 50 feet or so then I would start to pull away. Sooner than later he would trench and turn out and i easy could go another 50 feet and turn out but only bc by that time point proven, prob coulda gone quite a bit more. Not bashing or anything just plain facts. So here ya go. Both my buddies are impressed as well.

Chadly.... Got some reports for you guys... So it dumped 2-3 feet and we got freshies today...my buddy on his stock w can 850 154x3", my stock 850 165 x3" w kmod k motion skid, and our buddy t3 163 tom e motion and trygsdad 872 kit w tki belt.

We lined up twice in the bottom of a big bowl that was steep.... You couldn't climb out from dead stop at bottom of hill. So the 154" would turn out first and was non existent in the race mostly( although he goes places that blows me away for 154") my 850 and the trygsdad sled would stay dead even the first 50 feet or so then I would start to pull away. Sooner than later he would trench and turn out and i easy could go another 50 feet and turn out but only bc by that time point proven, prob coulda gone quite a bit more. Not bashing or anything just plain facts. So here ya go. Both my buddies are impressed as well.

FYI the Tom's G 3 is nothing like the G 2 that's on the T 3. The G 3 has a billet Rocker and is completely different rear skid. Not to mention I have ridden a 872 and I think money is better spent at the strip club. That motor doesn't impress me at all. The 850 blows the 2 872's I have ridden (one had a belt drive and one not) of the water. Like he said above me. Apples to oranges...

what I would like to hear is a comparison of trench depth
between your skid and a stock one after a race/pull. not just out of the hole, but after 30 or so yards too. same
rider or rider weight

I have no doubt that the kmod is an awesome suspension but if you are going to compare you need 850 to 850 and 165 to 165. That comparison was all over the map. You said the 872 and 850 were. Dead even for a minute. When the 850 pulled away, how do we know it wasn't from the track or the motor or the kmod? You just as well of had a turbo in the race too.

Just a comparison from what we had to work with for the day but I can tell you my buddy has stock 165" and we could easily tell the difference that day high marking chutes too. We are all bout 200 lbs w gear, guy on trygsdad is tiny bit lighter than me. Honestly 2nd trygsdad I've been around that didn't blow me away.

Premium Features

Back