• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Klim Quality

B
Feb 3, 2017
I purchased a set of elite gloves last year for $250. They are a great fit however they did not last but a few rides and the leather tore on the spot that touches the throttle. I tried to warranty them and was denied because Klim claimed outside forces (not sure what that means). I have been using Klim for 17 years and have noticed a large deference in the quality of their products in the last few years. Am I the only one having this issue? Can someone suggest a better option? I don't trust Klim any more. I purchase new boots, bibs and gloves every year and am now looking for a new set. Thinking Motor Fist, any suggestions?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Their push for lighter, less bulk, flexibility in mountain gear and fabrics has certainly impacted durability. Design-wise they are advanced and innovative, especially working with Gore, but they've blown into so many new markets - snow, dirt, pavement, casual - now they've definitely lost their edge in bullet-proof gear that you get from testing production gear. Too much reliance on design and not enough real-world testing, and I'm sure cost reduction pressure, results in quality gaps. They redefined the OEM PG&A industry, crushing the OEM's most profitable business line, and opening the door for so many others at different price points - think Motorfist, 509, FXR, ToBe, etc. Best bang for buck is Motorfist now - who knows what the screwballs at Textron will do with this, but you can find some crazy good deals on really good Motorfist gear on the web. Klim used to have great warranty and service, pre-Poo - used it many times for repairs in their little shop in ID. Those days are gone. Expect nothing better from Motorfist. The rest are overpriced at full MSRP, like alot of Klim gear now.

Reference point - started buying Klim in 2000 with the original Valdez and pants, many sets of base, mid, outer layers, gloves, helmets, myself and family. Easily into $xx,xxx of gear. Stealth jacket and pants the past few years. I stopped buying first year products 5 years ago - the improvements in year 2/3 in new designs were often big - testing works. Version 2 of just about every product is much better than version 1. Was also just matching up gear this week to work with a new BCA float vest, and I was looking closely at the lessor quality of stitching and findings - zips, etc. - in the past five years. This is all geek stuff, but, what you see and are experiencing is real, and after this week, was compelled to reply.

Premium Features