• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Khaos track changes/modifications.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
It seems that a few people will be swapping out tracks on their Khaos to a longer lug or stretching it to a 162/163. I ordered mine with a 2.6 but I am on the fence on whether to leave it like it is, go to a 3" or stretch it to a 163".
What is everyone planning on doing with theirs?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
IMO the 2.6 is a great track in fluffy low density snow, there is a reason the Burandt and the CO guys all love it so much. The soft flexible lugs generate the "lift" the axys is known for but it tends to give up forward push especially in thicker wetter snow.

Im not a freak for the factory 3", I don't have a ton of time on them in different snow but the bit I have rode them they always seemed to trench more and if anything generate less forward momentum then the 2.6 in drier snow.

I have had great luck with the Camso X3 and Powerclaw 3" tracks in ID/MT/BC conditions. These both dig significantly harder and promote increased weight transfer. The farther NW I head and get into more dense snow these tracks shine more and more leaving the 2.6 behind. My first impressions on my X3 swapped axys 800 last year vs a 2.6 was that the sled had 20 more horse.

Seeing as your in Wabush, I'd assume your snow is fairly dense? One big thing I like is the X3 is tough as nails. I only cracked a few lugs last year and absolutely hammered the thing in some low snow rocks/stumps.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The snow here is fairly powdery and dry because we get very cold winters. Do you notice the weight of the X3 or any loss of track speed?
Interesting. I guess without a strong grasp of the snow and conditions I couldn't say which would work better or worse.

The X3 does spin a tiny bit slower but your ground speed is always higher. Im sure side by side you might feel a slight change in rotating mass. But the overall grunt and increased get up and move forward feeling of the sled far outweighed any cons in my opinion.

If you guys don't often have lots of super deep snow a X2.7 might be an even better option. A little shorter paddle, stiffer, tougher, and cheaper to boot.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I had a 163 with the 2.6" and buddy had the 163 with 3". I thought I did not like the feel of the 3" but now I have a 174 x 850 with a 3" and realize that what I was noticing was not the track as much as the set-up and the extra weight. His was bone stock and had the chain case so it was heavier. Mine had a geared down belt drive and clutching. I could spin the track to initiate getting the sled on edge and his would simple lunge forward as the track was turning slower and would not slip as easy. This was a problem in tight trees. Now with the 850, even the 174 slips enough when I grab a handful and with the narrower front end it rolls up quite easy without noticing too much push. When new, both tracks would trench more than I liked compared to the 2.4" tracks that I was used too. Only once or twice did the 3" out-climb the 2.6". If you go with a bigger track there are gains to be had with gearing down. I fully expect Polaris to be coming with a new track next season. They will go with a bigger pitch to reduce weight but the big question is will they change their drivers as they can skip easier than other types and a larger pitch could make it worse.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I replaced the 2.6 on my turbo 800 axys with a powerclaw 3” two years ago. I also put on the pro belt drive gears at the same time. I thought I would see a big improvement in deep snow performance. Basically I noticed no forward momentum different. It felt different, trenched more and seem to work the engine more, but no noticeable performance improvement in deep, light Utah powder. Did basically the same thing this last winter on my buddies 850 doo turbo, replaced stock doo 3” track with a 2.6. Again we thought we might loose some performance. Once again we were proved wrong. Had 3 other doo 850 turbos with 3” tracks. This one with the 2.6 was equal or better than the 3 others with 3” tracks. So I would definitely agree with wheel house, in super deep, dry snow a 2.6” is a very good track, less trenching, more float and a little more track speed.
My khaos is getting a longer 2.6

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Interesting. I guess without a strong grasp of the snow and conditions I couldn't say which would work better or worse.

The X3 does spin a tiny bit slower but your ground speed is always higher. Im sure side by side you might feel a slight change in rotating mass. But the overall grunt and increased get up and move forward feeling of the sled far outweighed any cons in my opinion.

If you guys don't often have lots of super deep snow a X2.7 might be an even better option. A little shorter paddle, stiffer, tougher, and cheaper to boot.

I was actually looking at that track today. Keep the track speed up and have a tougher track. Anyone here have experience with the X2.7?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I was actually looking at that track today. Keep the track speed up and have a tougher track. Anyone here have experience with the X2.7?

We have been cutting down the X3 for a long time. Now we purchased X2.7 from Bruce and Tony at Tracks USA. They are cheaper than the X3.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The only one that I can find at the moment is the ones that aren't center punched. Do you know if they plan on having those available again later on?
Also, how does this track compare to the 2.6 in the deep, dry powder?

Tracks will center port it for you.
We haven’t ran a Polaris 2.6 track.
The Polaris 3” is not a very good track. It gives up to easily, it folds over.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Picking up a 153 PC at haydays.... Drivers on order. IceAge getting ready to put together custom 153 bombers..... Cant wait for the sled to show up. Is it winter yet?

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We have been cutting down the X3 for a long time. Now we purchased X2.7 from Bruce and Tony at Tracks USA. They are cheaper than the X3.

Dangit Tony.
I can't make up my mind.

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
It seems that a few people will be swapping out tracks on their Khaos to a longer lug or stretching it to a 162/163. I ordered mine with a 2.6 but I am on the fence on whether to leave it like it is, go to a 3" or stretch it to a 163".
What is everyone planning on doing with theirs?

I have had a X3 on my 14 pro for 5 years. Awesome track, however at 2000 miles it came apart. We with the 3" pitch it spins just as fast. I love that track. I put a new one on.
That said, I ordered a Khaos and going with a 2.8 with 3" pitch. Should be the lightest track available. Hopefully the handelling will be what I want it to be.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I have had a X3 on my 14 pro for 5 years. Awesome track, however at 2000 miles it came apart. We with the 3" pitch it spins just as fast. I love that track. I put a new one on.
That said, I ordered a Khaos and going with a 2.8 with 3" pitch. Should be the lightest track available. Hopefully the handelling will be what I want it to be.
Epic or conqueror 2.8?

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
Camso Conquer 280. 15″ x 153″ x 2.8″ lug height. 3″ drive pitch, open window. Clips every second window, 43 pounds.*

Does anyone have any experience with this track?

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
FYI, I'm not sure if its well known or not, the KHAOS rails run a different profile then the AXYS, so you'll have to go to an aftermarket rail if you extend. I know Ice Age & Nextech are working on KHAOS proflies in a 163". Haven't checked if they've been released or not yet... This could have already been mentioned in other posts too, just thought I'd share.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
We have our Khaos rail configurations just about wrapped up! One more small production run on the mill and its free'd up to start cranking out some Khaos rails for people. We will have them ready to ship at the end of the month.

For those who don't know, we will have rail kits starting at just $395 for both 155 and 163 stretches. We will be offering both lengths in our classic and bomber styles for whatever suits your style best!

Premium Features