• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Keweenaw Trail Conditions

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I was up over New Years, rode as far south as the firesteel trestle bridges and as far north as Copper Harbor, sticking to mostly higher terrain. There was some good, some fair, and some ugly in between (lots of rocks from copper city to Mohawk, also going south out of houghton)As mentioned already, the best snow was around twin lakes through toivola, then up to south range. Brockway mountain spur was in great shape, very surprised. We made the best of it, M8 stayed in the garage, we rode trail sleds all weekend. Ended up with 300 miles from sat afternoon through Monday afternoon.

Shout out for Chad @ M&M powersports in Hancock, he always takes care of us! He has a great rental fleet this year with yamaha vectors, the power steering on those sleds is sweet! Also had a buddy rent an XF1100 which was a nice sled, all got great MPG on the trails. If you're in the area definitely stop by his shop.

Don't forget the www.johndee.com ride-in the first weekend of February, it's always a great time at the banquet dinner and everything benefits the Make a Wish foundation. I hope to be back up before the event, I want that LES to get all fired up after this thaw! We always seem to be blessed with good snow for the event, and I hope that trend continues.

Stack

Last edited:
M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
So in our future we see some good and some bad.. If you plan a trip for around the 14th and possibly onward i think you will be rewarded. The pattern is finely setting up to be good for a long time. Bad news is its 37 degrees outside. This is gonna last through the week as well. So long as we don't get significant rain it will help for this next round. So not good now good the 14th and on for a significant lenght of time....guaranteed :yo:

M
Jan 22, 2010
We were up at Twin Lakes Jan 2nd -5th. probably saw you on the trails given that there were few out riding. I agree with everything you said. Snow was not like it usually is, but did over 350 in 2 1/2 days. Trailered east of L'Anse on Thursday. Riding was decent if you stayed north. Rode to Copper Harbor and back Friday from Twin Lakes. Trails were as stated ---watch for huge ditch in trail S. of Calumet!! Mariner for lunch. we were the only group in there---sad! Had a good trip, though. Need the snow!!

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
I will use the words of john dee. the timeframe he is referring to is starting about the 12th;
I am still very tempted to use pink (even yellow) for some of the LES belts on the map, but the way this winter has gone so far, I will continue to hold off and not get too excited about LES amounts for next week as a whole. But the bottom line is LES does look be a very good likelihood, with some pretty meaningful accumulations. -John dee

If you know what yellow means your probably dancing. That's means pow pow and a lot of it. I have lived here 4 partial winters now and if he uses yellow it would be the first time I have seen it in one of his graphics.

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
He changed that in a hurry...guess its Wyoming if i wanna ride

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

It may not even be that big of a stretch to think some areas could see 2 feet+ of LES fall next week.---John dee

Hope that reassures you. We are gonna get dumped on starting sat! It will start out slower than originally anticipated but by the end of next week we could have 2 fresh feet!!

Fridays update;
The news in this period is still the same, which means lots of cold, LES and some lighter snows from a couple of clipper systems in the Northwoods, but limited system snow elsewhere. I have finally broken out the pink marker for some areas of the UP LES belts.

The exact details to the LES will really not be known until a day or so before they occur, but it looks like the LES for most of next week will favor areas impacted by a west to northwest winds. This would include the western UP from the Porkies to Copper Harbor and areas from Munising to Whitefish point and inland 15-30 miles. In these areas, I think there is a pretty good chances that they will see more than a foot of snow fall from Tuesday through Sunday of next week and it is even reasonably possible that some areas could see 2 feet+ of LES fall next week.

A clipper system still looks to swing through the upper Midwest by later Tuesday and Wednesday and looks to bring a few inches of system snow to most of the Northwoods.

Conditions for LES behind that clipper system look to increase dramatically and it is still looking like from later Wednesday through Saturday, a pretty solid 5-8” of LES will occur in many of the LES belts of the UP and NWL MI, with some locales to see more than 8” and if all works out to the good side, more than 12”...

3ft possible in next 15 days :jaw:

Last edited:
T
Jan 9, 2009
I will be there on Friday. Staying in Berglund. I am with some older guys so off trail might not be in the forecast us. Usually some fire road riding but nothing technical unless you like pulling sleds all day.

LET IT SNOW YEEEHAAAW

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Plan on arriving Thursday night IF the LES gets cranked up, it's nice to see a promising forecast, I can't tell you how long it's been since I saw a winter storm watch/warning up there!

Stack

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
Let it snow!

I was going to leave today (13th) to go to the Twin Lakes area and changed it to next weekend. Hope the snow has started by now and I hope they have lots of snow by thursday night. Just need to watch out for all the stumps etc still.

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
We picked up a few at my house but I am right on the water so its prob like 4" in toivola/twin lakes area., its snowing at a good clip right now as well. The real snow did not start until about 10pm last night. We are looking better but still not enough to do anything with....:sad:

Buuuuuuutttt by Thursday it should be a different story. Keep you guys posted:yo:

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Just got back from an evening ride. Found about 12-16" of fluffy fluffy pow on a marginal base. It is getting deep enough to start compensating for the lack of base. By Thursday if it keeps up we will be in heaven.. Expecting it to snow all night and then let up until wends..

My word of caution is that the way this les is lining up its really slamming places and others are hardly getting snow.so know that we're your going has snow!. Here are my snow total guesses from the areas I visited today

Redridge - 5"
South range-12-16"
Houghton- 8"
Toivola- 12-16"

Last edited:
M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Dee used yellow. Tons of snow comming. Does anyone want to sled this week? I am headed out right now! We got another 8" last night and its now time for pow turns!

capnkirk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2010
Appleton, WI
i looooove to see Dee use that yellow on the forecast map!!! I might have to make a trip before heading to WY in 3 weeks... :bounce:

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Bring it! If you need someone to ride with I can go all day every day! Just about to head to head out the door.. I will try and grab a couple shots for ya'll

R
Jan 11, 2013
I think everyone will be heading to the U.P..... Gonna be a mad house if they get what they are talking.... I think this is the first time since 2010 he has used yellow!!!

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010

bout time. keep it comin! :smow:
This is the quote from the above link...

"Snowfall started on Saturday night and continued to be hard through midnight last night, when it was measured between 18-20" in South Range. Reports from Painesdale are coming in at 20-25".

Picture from last night at 10pm.
217824_10200472604124089_450077820_n.jpg

Took a drive up the road and was pushing snow the whole way. This was bare ground on Saturday!
481349_10200472601884033_2034276722_n.jpg
"

Premium Features