• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is there an Air Compressor that is worth a darn??

I have a Craftsman that works great. If you need more air storage take and old and broken compressor and plumb it inline with the other tank. I've seen places add 2 more extra tanks.

I have a Craftsman upright, 30 gallons, I think. 5 or 6 years old. Think I paid about $350. It's the oil-less version, so it's loud as all get out. I mean really, really loud. You're not having a conversation over this thing. Also, while I have never actually tested it, I can pretty much guarantee from experience that it's not putting out the 8 or 9 cfm they claimed it was when I bought it.
Also, like some of the reviews you posted, the drain is a joke. The knob (which is on the bottom of the tank of course) is a little tiny-a$$ thumb screw that you'd have to have midget hands to be able to operate. I just use a pliers, and that works fine.

Having said all of that, I don't make my living with this thing. I change a couple of tires a year, pull the skid out of my sled, etc. Almost always using the impact wrench, but I did buy a small grinder that worked pretty well too. Maybe use it 5-10 times a year, total, and it has always done what I needed it to. Based on this, I would buy it again. Also, I have always had VERY good luck in terms of Craftsman's warranty so that plays a factor for me as well.

Having said all THAT, if I used an air compressor on a daily basis, I probably would not recommend it, as I'd want something with more output and also wasn't as loud as an F-18 coming off the deck...

Just my .02.

I have a 17.5 cfm bigger unit that works fine but to be honest ever since I got my milwaukee 18v lithium 3/8 impact I use the comp alot less....everyone should have one of these guns....man are they handy!!

I have a 17.5 cfm bigger unit that works fine but to be honest ever since I got my milwaukee 18v lithium 3/8 impact I use the comp alot less....everyone should have one of these guns....man are they handy!!
I have two of the Milwaukee 18v Lithium drills.
Only problem is that they are SO expensive that it makes air tools look cheap by comparison.

That impact driver will run what, $250 ish??

43633_2651-22.jpg

i use a cheap small makita for 99% of what i do, its very very quite....friends and family are amazed at how quite it works......its worthless with a disk grinder or impact, this is where i corldess or 110VAC

got this unit at home depot a couple years back, cost about $200 i think?

I bought a 60 gallon upright, single stage from harbor frieght and it has worked awsome for about 4 years now. This compressor was only $400 I would recommend it to anyone, my only complaint is it is a bit noisy. It keeps up pretty good with most of my tools, if I use a die grinder for more than about 5 minutes straight I have to let it catch back up, but thats no biggie for me.

Just asking. Shouldn't this thread be moved to the General section. It has nothing to do with Performance/Modifications of a snowmobile.:face-icon-small-con

Just asking. Shouldn't this thread be moved to the General section. It has nothing to do with Performance/Modifications of a snowmobile.:face-icon-small-con
Hmm
Lets see.
Air compressor powers tools that are used to modify sleds.
And we are in the Performance/MODIFIED sled forum.

Yup.
Seems like this is the right place.

I have two of the Milwaukee 18v Lithium drills.
Only problem is that they are SO expensive that it makes air tools look cheap by comparison.

That impact driver will run what, $250 ish??

43633_2651-22.jpg

I bought mine on ebay for a 100 bucks with no batterys, which I had already. I love this tool and it always comes in the trailer on our trips.....

Made my own years ago, lp tank, scrap they were throwing out at the mill, rewired old 3 phase motor for single phase cost $0

another option you could go is build your own , use a old LP tank, comp , motor, check out your local salvage yards and you could find every thing you need at a real reasonable price. A old compressor pump will last you a long time

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Motor-...085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09a92b75

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cast-Iron-Air-C...386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ac0aa8b2

http://cgi.ebay.com/AIR-COMPRESSOR-...925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa216a8e5

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/733537.htm Ran into this company at a farm show and couldn't believe the price, quality, and the low noise. We put one in our farm shop with great luck to replace a IR that died after 4yrs. Don't remember the exact model but a 10hp 35cfm on a 80gallon tank and I bought a stand alone 18cfm to replace the compressor on a old 60gallon tank and 5hp motor I bought with that in mind for in my garage at home. There numbers aren't as impressive as some being they run them slower but they are more reliable and a lot quieter that way. I've seen that they have some great deals on 110volt portable and will be buying one to replace our portable that is on its last leg. If they are made like there big ones which it looked like at the show it would work great for you and last a long time. Also someone above said to use PVC to run lines don't do it when it eventually gives out the shrapnel isn't good.

Last edited:
So you really think this thread should be in general snowmobiling???
it has nothing to do with snowmobiling, and everything to do with setting up to modify sleds.

And if I even considered for one moment creating a forum for all things TOOLS/SHOP/GARAGE everyone would attack me.

Premium Features

Back