• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy Dan 850

Pow-Shredder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2015
The Hills
Anyone have any experience with his 850 motors? Have a blown up 850 out of warranty and that seems to be the cheapest and easiest option would be to go with his short block motor. Just wanted to hear some pros and cons from you guys. Thanks!

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
While I can't speak to the 850 - Indy Dan is extremely sharp when it comes to understanding motors, but still a bit of old school. Meaning that his motors are hand built. All the parts are checked/verified to fit properly together. You are buying a "system". Your not getting a collection of individual parts that might meet the specs of each part, that turns into a small piston in a big cylinder leave a sloppy fit and earlier failure (like you could get from factory). In addition, you will get little tweaks that are improvements on what can't be done efficiently when mass producing a motor. He will give you full guidelines (like 3-4 pages) of what to do. Follow it to the letter, and he will stand behind his motor.

Further to the above, he can look at what you have and help you figure out what happened, and what to do to avoid the issue in the future. Case in point, I had an oil pump problem, air on one of the lines, scuffed/scored one piston. if I hadn't taken him the entire block, we would not have found the oil pump issue (the real issue, that resulted in the problem) and I could have burned it down again.

He's not cheap. Yet you get what you pay for. Full meal deal. I will take Dans motor over a collection of new factory parts "all day long"

Good luck !

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Anyone have any experience with his 850 motors? Have a blown up 850 out of warranty and that seems to be the cheapest and easiest option would be to go with his short block motor. Just wanted to hear some pros and cons from you guys. Thanks!
don't all the 850s have a 4 yr warranties ? just wondering if i should buy a used one

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The way my dealer explained it to me was that once the sled was registered if it was not the same name as the snow check name it did not qualify for a 4-year warranty. Once registered in a snow Checkers name then the sled could be sold several times and the warranty will still be 4 years.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The way my dealer explained it to me was that once the sled was registered if it was not the same name as the snow check name it did not qualify for a 4-year warranty. Once registered in a snow Checkers name then the sled could be sold several times and the warranty will still be 4 years.

It only transfers once after the snowcheck registers.

I bought a sled after 2 owners and got denied.

C
Jan 14, 2020
don't all the 850s have a 4 yr warranties ? just wondering if i should buy a used one
only 4 if snowchecked
I was wondering the same thing released in 2019 but out of warranty???
Or Voided Warranty???
4 yrs if snowchecked. Also, if used for commercial purposes, i.e. rentals it is a 1 yr warranty. There was a perfect, 100% ready to use khaos purchased by search and rescue for sale, it only got the 1 yr commercial warranty.

IndyDan is pretty much the best from anyone that's bought his motors. Really important to find out cause of failure though. Injectors not giving fuel or oil pump failure/air bubbles/ kinked hoses kill the vast majority of new sled motors it seems.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
Anyone have any experience with his 850 motors? Have a blown up 850 out of warranty and that seems to be the cheapest and easiest option would be to go with is short block motor. Just wanted to hear some pros and cons from you guys. Thanks!
I have run both his 800 and 850 "Warthog" motors... both with silber turbos. I just sold my 800 turbo and it has been a rock solid sled with no issues. I still have my 850 and it has been a great sled also with no issues. I have over 1000 miles on each motor and compression and leak down are mint on both!

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I believe you cannot go wrong with Indy Dan.. you just need to make sure what your original problem was so if you throw a new Bullitt at it the same thing does not happen again. Never assume the problem that took you down the first time you need to know what happen to take down the motor so it does not happen again.

Premium Features