• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Igloo/Cantwell ride

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Anyone headed there this weekend? We are thinking about taking the rv up there and get in one more good ride before the season ends and we have to put the sleds up for the summer. Man, I hate the thought of that..........

I would like to ride this weekend and Cantwell seems to be the only one logical option now. Is anybody interested in carpooling? Sat and/or Sun are fine by me.

If the Whittier tunnel is still closed and/or the weather is better north for Vis I will be heading back up towards the Igloo and may have a space in my trailer.... Jeff (907) 229-1082

I will be going to a spot closer and with more snow

If the Whittier tunnel is still closed and/or the weather is better north for Vis I will be heading back up towards the Igloo and may have a space in my trailer.... Jeff (907) 229-1082

I will be going to a spot closer and with more snow

Hey Jeff would this be a day trip? Would like to come along if you have space.

Insane, is there room enough to park an rv there? If we can avoid going all the way to Cantwell we would much prefer that instead.

Arghhhh! Insane gonna' play in the new spot, and I'm stuck spinning electrons. ****ker! Oh well, have a cold one and a hot one on me.:D

Headed up that way first thing in the morning with the rv, maybe we'll see some of you out there. We'll be in a 22 ft Winnebago pulling a 3 place Sled Bed trailer with 2 Summits on it.

We made it to the Igloo on Saturday with the rv and sleds in tow, was a little muddy but tons of snow. Rode behind the Igloo Saturday afternoon but had to stick to the trails due to crappy snow conditions. Found some great places to ride for next year though and the trip was well worth it.
It was snowing when we woke up yesterday morning and I was itching to ride, the wife not so much. I waited a bit to see if any of the riders were going out but no one was going so I went solo, told the wife if I'm not back by noon send out the choppers.
I rode for a short bit on the other side of the highway but didn't like the idea of being out there by myself so I turned around to head back to the rv.
On the way I found some small fields on the Igloo side that looked way too inviting, big mistake! It turned into a stuckfest as the snow was super rotten, you couldn't even stand on it without falling through. Dug the sled out and got it up on top, put my gear back on, went 10 feet and down I went. Did this 3 times before I had to give up. Snow was probably 4-5 feet deep and walking through it to get to the highway sucked. Luckily there were 4 riders from Fairbanks that were hanging around just in case I didn't come back.
They had me unstuck in about 2 minutes and I was able to make it back to the rv and load up. Shared a brew with them and called it a rap, sledding is over until next year for us. Time to get the wheelers out and have some fun in the mud.

Wish you'd posted this before I left yesterday morning...Same thing for us monday. Just ugly, rotten clear to the ground, but still heavy and wet as a snowcone. If you kept going, and didn't stop, you could still go, but don't slow down. No low speed boondocking in the trees, and no way I was gonna climb anything. The snow would collaps around you, in a 10-15' radius, sometimes, just sink a few inches...weird. Other times, you'd just dig to the ground. Fork me, I'm toast. Only 180 more days 'till snow, meantime, fish.

John

Premium Features

Back