• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many people run stable or start frequently?

Stable or not?

• Yes I put a gas treatment in

Votes: 446 59.4%
  • No, I use no treatments and start motor several times a summer

Votes: 199 26.5%
  • No, I use nothing at all and do not start and never had any problems

Votes: 107 14.2%

• Total voters
Run stable and start it bout every other week...just make sure its good to go if the snow hits soon! ;) Or thats just what I tell my dad haha

The VP-Fuels "SEF-94" would be the ideal storage gas... expensive at about $9+/gallon.. but, IMO very easy... Drain your tank out... pop in a 5'er or 10 of the SEF 94 and start it up regularly to keep the bearings nice and coated and the fuel system working.

That would be an easy way to KNOW that the fuel is not gummed up...and have a great first ride.

The SEF 94 is what many of the Fire Departments use in their Critical gas powered equipment for it's long term stability AND problem free starts... You dont want to have a fuel problem on "The Jaws of Life"!!

IF your sled has more than a couple of seasons on it OR you bought it used... I'm a big advocate of having the Injectors cleaned by a reputable shop so that you are confident that this Critical piece of the puzzle is working up to snuff and you have a worry free season. When they clean them they check the spray patter and the flow rates... AND provide you with a full report on the injectors.

SEF94_6x8_72dpi_0.jpg

Last edited:
I use sea foam. If i have a fuel shut off on the sled i use that also and run the sled out of gas. If i dont have the fuel shut off i do start them up once a month and run them for a few min.

IMO, its not a good procedure to start the engine over the summer. Not for the fact of bad fuel but the fact of condensation from the air entering the engine and becoming trapped. This will cause rust or corrosion. Its better to have a full tank of fuel, Use a stabilizer (its not that expensive), Run the engine til the stabilizer gets through all the lines, Shut the fuel line off if possible, Fog the engine until it shuts off, spray some fogging oil down the spark plug holes and turn it over a few times, let it sit until you are going to ride again, then empty the tank and put fresh fuel in it.

Yamahe stabilizer and yamaha ring free and start them one a month. I believe the ring free is the ticket. motors on sleds and boat have all started easier and run smoother since started using it all of the time, last 2 years, both 2 and 4 strokes. :plane::plane::plane:

I use Stabil and start my engine often and let it come up to temp and warm up about 1/2 the time, acasionaly rides around the yard also, I work on my sled pretty often and trying to do regular mods to it in spare time and not doing Summer Fun things too,

so it will be along time when I let my sled set thru summer and fall with out workin on it one way or another.

Wildcard

I use this..
quickshot.jpg

And this..
stabilizer.jpg

Here in SD I think it's nearly impossible to find anything at the pump without some level of Ethanol in it. Could have swore that it's a Federal thing now that all gas at the pumps have at least a small % of Ethanol??

2 years ago I tore apart some carbs that sat from April-June and there was green stuff already growing on the mains. Premium gas every chance I get....

I use this..
quickshot.jpg

And this..
stabilizer.jpg

Here in SD I think it's nearly impossible to find anything at the pump without some level of Ethanol in it. Could have swore that it's a Federal thing now that all gas at the pumps have at least a small % of Ethanol??

2 years ago I tore apart some carbs that sat from April-June and there was green stuff already growing on the mains. Premium gas every chance I get....

I use the above products as well.

You guys should also be dragging your sleds out standing them and running them for about five minutes once every couple of weeks. A little water from the garden hose on the track to keep it lubed. Watch your h2o temps. There are other aspects of use that need protection from rust and gumming then just the engine!

You guys should also be dragging your sleds out standing them and running them for about five minutes once every couple of weeks. A little water from the garden hose on the track to keep it lubed. Watch your h2o temps. There are other aspects of use that need protection from rust and gumming then just the engine!

I've done that every other start up on the GF's 02 600 RMK. Both clutches are coming off this sled next month to get a thorough going thru , cleaning and balancing. As far as I know they have over 5K and not been touched - bought the sled used.

On my 900 RMK, I used Stabil and topped up the tank with 91 octane. Five summers and no issues. In the fall, put the gas from the sled into one of our vehicles and refill sled with new fuel. It always started in 4-5 pulls and ran well.

In Washington we ride till June or sometimes July then back on snow in November. I start my 900 RMK once a month during down time. Never had a problem. I think if I stored it outside I would be using a stablizer...

fuel injectors

Hey, Mountainhorse. Another useful thread, thanks. Where does one send injectors to be cleaned/checked? It's not like "injector cleaning" is in the yellow pages.
In response to post #19 about the Kawasaki plant using aviation fuel: it is used primarily for EPA emissions ratings. If you took the tour, you would notice the "run-up" booth, which monitors the exhaust emissions. I know, I work there.
When I had carbed sleds, I always ran them until they ran out of gas, then drained the collection tubes on the bowl bottoms. Always worked for me on those. On the CFI sleds, I use either stabil or sea foam and only leave a couple gallons in the tank. Then, I start the sled at least once a month, spin the track a few times to exercise the clutches and brakes. I usually let it run up to normal operating temp (122 degrees), then shut off. I agree that setting the injector arm richer is better than adding oil to gas (premix) because the injector also sends oil to the crankshaft.
As far as the oil injector setting, if you recall, Polaris was having a tough time meeting the tougher EPA standards for a couple of years. So, by leaning out the oil consumption, that would help them meet those standards, even though, in hind-sight, it may have cooked some engines.

Premium Features

Back