• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many Miles till break in complete?

S

snengineer

Owner manual says 2 tanks of fuel, I haven't been keeping track about how many miles is that roughly? I have 178 miles and I am wondering if I am done with break in mode?

I have been told it is about 22 gallons of fuel and not mileage dependent.

Hey I read it on the internet so it must be true. :face-icon-small-win

Seems like it's either 21.2 gallons or 300 miles from reading the Owners Manual

The only way to know is to hook it up to the BUDS at a dealer....there is no "set" miles or fuel quantity. You probably won't be able to tell much difference after about 100 miles besides less oil use.

250 miles on xm and still uses alot of oil about two rides per gallon of oil.:face-icon-small-sad .I thought owners manual said 10 hours for break in?

Mine seemed to come alive at 330 miles, I gained a few hundred Rpms and the thing ripped on the way out of our last ride

Got a good ride in on mine today. Snow is a little thin but you can play in the trees.
I have 82 miles on my XM and it sure feels broke in. Got a good view of part of the Tetons today.

Owner manual says 2 tanks of fuel, I haven't been keeping track about how many miles is that roughly? I have 178 miles and I am wondering if I am done with break in mode?

Can't recall 100% of the conversation, but the owner at my dealership told me it had to due with the amount of fuel that passed over a certain component of the fuel system - Roughly 2 tanks of fuel. (He was at BRP's manufacturing facility last year, and this was a common question among the dealer reps according to him).

Page 73

Manual states 10 operating hrs or 500km (300mi) required for break-in.

Read further down and it also states that the engine management system controls some engine parameters for a predetermined period, which is based on fuel volume(approx 2 fuel tanks). Engine performance and behavior will not be optimal during this period.

See attached PDF for page 73...:thumb:

Attachments

Im curiuos how many miles people are getting per tank. At 60 miles my gauge is blinking so two tanks to breakin didnt work for me

I'm thinking something is wrong with my gas guage because after 55 miles my guage is maybe only 1 bar off max. I do know the computer is telling me I'm getting about 12 mpg, so I'd expect it to show about half full at 60 miles. My last ride was just over 60 miles but I haven't refueled to see exactly what I used.

Don't forget about the air bubble that you will get when you fill up your sled..

When you think its full and the gas spills out.. put the cap back on and stand on the rear bumper a couple of times and then check again.. you will be able to add another gallon of gas, sometimes more.

I forgot about this the first time I went out to ride and only got 40 miles before the light turned on for low gas.
DC

I think I just answered my own question here, I looked in the owner manual and you can see what the total fuel consumption is on your digital readout. I will just check that. But if I'm getting roughly 12 miles to the gallon its gonna be around 270 miles before "breakin" mode is complete. Thanks for the input guys!

I plugged mine in at the local dealer today and I have 350 miles with 10% left...A buddy's took 370 miles...We ride them fairly normal for break in, easy the first 100 miles then just short bursts, no long full throttle pulls etc. until it's off the break in clock.

However, with our lack of snow, most of our miles have been road miles.. so not a lot of load on the motor.. mostly 6-7k rpm ranges.

Sooner the Better

I have 300-400 miles (I haven't looked) and it still isnt as strong at the 12 so it's not ready yet! The 12 with porting rips pretty good, Any body do a big bore yet?

i broke mine in last wk in 4 straight days. took approx 28 gallons and 260 miles. at about 180 miles i had to drop down 1 click to kep it under 8 k rpm

i broke mine in last wk in 4 straight days. took approx 28 gallons and 260 miles. at about 180 miles i had to drop down 1 click to kep it under 8 k rpm

How did you know when it was broke in ? Are you going by the 10 hour thing in the ski doo hand book.

Premium Features

Back