• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do you out run a Moose in the woods?

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
...You could probably run faster scared than I can mad...
One thing about the Moose is he can run around uneven terrain like you can run around a basketball court. Sure you might be able to run faster scared but not fast enough for a mad bull. There was a guy killed by a moose at the entrance the the University here. The moose couldn't figure his way out of a 50' long by 20' entrance. When a 76 year old foreign national came to enter the bldg. (didn't realize moose are dangerous) the moose felt threatened and he attacked. At the time someone was innocently videoing the moose trying to get out of the corridor and caught the whole thing on tape. It was brutal. They strike you with the front hoofs first multiple times and there fast. I don't know if you seen that Youtube video of that guy branding a horse and it kicking him with its hind leg (talk about a swift kick), but I can only think thats whats coming to you after he brings you down with its front hoofs.

C
Dec 7, 2007
I ran up on two female Moose just yesterday...

while riding outside of Fraser, CO. I was blasting down the road through all of the fresh powder we just got when I came up on them, I stopped not more than 40 feet away. They were blocking the road and there was no place that I could go as there was a vertical bank on one side and several hundred feet of near vertical drop-off on the other. I shut off the sled and started looking for trees to jump behind. They just stood and watched me for at least 5 to 10 minutes, looking more and more agitated all the time...Scared the heck out of me. I didn't move. Eventually they took off down the road and then climbed the bank and went into the trees. They were freaking huge and I could just see the news reports of some idiot on a snowmobile being found pulverized out in the woods.

Premium Features