• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How are the newer Ford Super Duties?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Hey guys, one of my work trucks, a 2008 Dodge 3500, has gotten to the point that it's needing major repairs once or twice a year, so I've decided to replace it. It's an employee rig, and my work truck is a 2020 GMC 3500 diesel. I was just going to get something 5-7 years old to replace the Dodge, but I think I might hand down my 2020 and get something a little newer for my own work truck.

I see some pretty decent deals on the newer F350s in xlt trim, some deals good enough they have me considering going brand new (which I never do).

What are guys thinking of the 2023-2024 models? Have they been having lots of issues like the 2024 GM's seem to have?

How do they ride? I think the newest Ford I've driven was like a 2017 and that one was lifted and rode like garbage.

I do see some 2020-2022 models for decent prices too, would it be worth going with that range with low miles rather than the new gen?

Reactions: christopher

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
2017 had some small issues with water getting into the plugs back by the spare tire and causing random electrical issues. Clean those up and seal with grease and seems to cure it. The cab lights can start leaking too, but the updated ones fix it. I have a 2017 and haven't had the rear plug issues but do have leaky cab lights I haven't addressed yet. It's not uncommon to have HVAC blend door motors go bad and get stuck with full AC or full heat on one side of the cab if you have dual climate control. I did have this problem and it's a royal PITA to fix. Impossible if you have big hands. The big, panoramic sunroofs stick to the seals if not used frequently and/or keep the seal lubricated. Breaks the tracks then. This is a known problem from 2015 F-150s to current F-150s and super duties.

2018-2019 don't have the cab light or plug issues.

2020s can have some covid-related build issues. I'd try to get a 2021 or 2022.

Some 2023-2024s are having AC compressor problems on the forum I follow. Other than that I haven't seen any big recuring issues. Occasionally someone has a rear end failure from them being under-filled from the factory. I've personally heard of this in the real world from family dealing with Ram and GM trucks too so not just a Ford thing. More of a poor dealer PDI thing.

I've seen several threads on ride complaints. The Ford shocks are junk and lots of people happy with a shock upgrade. I put fox 2.0 monotubes and sulastic spring shackles on my F-450 and I think it rides really good for what it is. Depending on the year the F-250 with high capacity trailer tow package has the same rear springs as a F-350. If it has a camper package or snowplow prep the front springs are stiffer to account for the added weight. All of this can affect ride too.

I would RUN from a new RAM pickup based on what my dad sees working on gas company field trucks.

Reactions: MTsled3

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
2017 had some small issues with water getting into the plugs back by the spare tire and causing random electrical issues. Clean those up and seal with grease and seems to cure it. The cab lights can start leaking too, but the updated ones fix it. I have a 2017 and haven't had the rear plug issues but do have leaky cab lights I haven't addressed yet. It's not uncommon to have HVAC blend door motors go bad and get stuck with full AC or full heat on one side of the cab if you have dual climate control. I did have this problem and it's a royal PITA to fix. Impossible if you have big hands. The big, panoramic sunroofs stick to the seals if not used frequently and/or keep the seal lubricated. Breaks the tracks then. This is a known problem from 2015 F-150s to current F-150s and super duties.

2018-2019 don't have the cab light or plug issues.

2020s can have some covid-related build issues. I'd try to get a 2021 or 2022.

Some 2023-2024s are having AC compressor problems on the forum I follow. Other than that I haven't seen any big recuring issues. Occasionally someone has a rear end failure from them being under-filled from the factory. I've personally heard of this in the real world from family dealing with Ram and GM trucks too so not just a Ford thing. More of a poor dealer PDI thing.

I've seen several threads on ride complaints. The Ford shocks are junk and lots of people happy with a shock upgrade. I put fox 2.0 monotubes and sulastic spring shackles on my F-450 and I think it rides really good for what it is. Depending on the year the F-250 with high capacity trailer tow package has the same rear springs as a F-350. If it has a camper package or snowplow prep the front springs are stiffer to account for the added weight. All of this can affect ride too.

I would RUN from a new RAM pickup based on what my dad sees working on gas company field trucks.
Yeah I was planning on going at least 2020 to get the 10 speed and figured by the time they refreshed them, they should've had most of the gremlins ironed out. I always forget about covid affecting things like build quality. I see a few 2022s in higher trims that are in the price range i was looking at, with super low miles.

I am not a moonroof person, I've had a couple vehicles with sun/ moonroofs and I never touch them. I even try to avoid sliding rear windows because it seems like all of the manufacturers have forgotten how to make one that doesn't leak.

How expensive are the fox shocks and how do they do with towing heavy? Any other options people like? Bilsteins maybe?

I knew the Rams had issues from about 2013 to 2018ish, didn't know the newer ones were the same way. Someone told me the AISIN transmission was great, but I just saw an article that said it's been problematic as well. Wasn't really considering one anyway

Thanks for the input!

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
The 10 speed tranny is still a little weird - always hunting for the right gear, and occasional clunky shifts. Better under load than without, and also better at speed than creeping around. I'm due for a service soon and hope there's a software update.

Reactions: jh7

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
The 10 speed tranny is still a little weird - always hunting for the right gear, and occasional clunky shifts. Better under load than without, and also better at speed than creeping around. I'm due for a service soon and hope there's a software update.
My GMC is the same way but I've learned where it does it, so I just go manual mode to keep it in one gear for those spots and it does fine

CHarding

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 3, 2019
I have a 2024 Ford F-350 Lariat Powerstroke, love it, great truck so far with 20,000 miles. It definitely rides like a 1 ton, a bit harsh at times. It is a SRW cab & chassis, not sure if the springs are any different or not?!? I might try some shocks like someone had mentioned.

My previous truck was a 2018 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins w/ the Aisin. Absolutely loved it too. Had 205,000 when I traded it off. It rode a little better for whatever reason. The Aisin is stout and solid. It would hunt for gears and downshift with a lighter load and the cruise on when it didn't need to. It shifted better with a heavy load. With the cruise off, it wouldn't downshift unnecessarily, just rip on down the road. I towed pretty heavy at times and it amazed me how easily it handled it. Same with my Ford.

Trucks now are pretty impressive, overpriced but impressive.

A
Dec 3, 2012
Hey guys, one of my work trucks, a 2008 Dodge 3500, has gotten to the point that it's needing major repairs once or twice a year, so I've decided to replace it. It's an employee rig, and my work truck is a 2020 GMC 3500 diesel. I was just going to get something 5-7 years old to replace the Dodge, but I think I might hand down my 2020 and get something a little newer for my own work truck.

I see some pretty decent deals on the newer F350s in xlt trim, some deals good enough they have me considering going brand new (which I never do).

What are guys thinking of the 2023-2024 models? Have they been having lots of issues like the 2024 GM's seem to have?

How do they ride? I think the newest Ford I've driven was like a 2017 and that one was lifted and rode like garbage.

I do see some 2020-2022 models for decent prices too, would it be worth going with that range with low miles rather than the new gI had a

I do see some 2020-2022 models for decent prices too, would it be worth going with that range with low miles rather than the new gen?
I had a 2022 F350 and traded it for a 2024 GMC. I haven't had any issues, not even the tailgate opening that GM had a recall for. I love the thing and pull a 20,000 lbs fifth wheel.
P.S. I have a new PullRite 25k fifth wheel hitch. Cost me $1500 to drive home from dealer then bought the GMC. so anyone need a new hitch?? $1300

Reactions: MTsled3

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Fox, Bilstein, and Rancho are all commonly discussed monotube shock options for the Fords.

Bilstein is a favorite and they have a digressive valving setup. Meaning they are stiff on low speed movements and softer on high speed shaft situations. This gives good body roll control and helps reduce up and down porpoise action when towing, but comfort can suffer with bigger hits. Good choice for daily drivers and towers on smooth pavement and have a pretty long service life.

Fox has a progressive valving setup: softer on the slow speed so get a little more body roll and not as planted feeling as the Bilsteins but more comfort on bumps and more damping on bigger hits. They have high nitrogen pressure to resist cavitation on multiple bumps, aluminum body for cooling, and use the same seal materials as the off road shocks. So a little more performance orientated, but suggest rebuilds at 50k miles. The rebuild cost with shipping isn't much less than just buying replacements, but the fact that they are rebuildable and tunable lets you get them valved for your application from certain vendors. I have a F-450 so I have stiff springs, DRW, and wide track front end so body roll isn't a consideration for me so I went with the Fox my needs.

Rancho has a couple models. Consensus on the RS5000 is it's not heavy duty enough if you tow or haul any weight. They have a new RS7MT that may be good, but limited feedback on those. The RS9000 with the adjuster knob is an improvement over the stock shocks with decent comfort. Some think the adjustment knob provides a noticeable difference between settings and some say after they age a bit and the oil breaks down there's not much difference. My dad has these on his older F-450 and they seem to work alright.

The SRW cab chassis trucks have stiffer spring packs than the SRW trucks with boxes for more payload.

Most of the 10spd transmission complaints were in 2020 paired with the 7.3 gas engine. The diesel calibration seemed to be better off the bat.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i had 2020 f-250 that i towed 13k with, put 37k miles on it with no problems, only oil changes.....traded it for a new 2024 250 Lariat, just because i wanted to, not to mention i drove it for 4 years and only lost $6,000 on trade.....dealer still gave me the new 250 at invoice, i've bought trucks from same dealer for over 40 years.....each trade the truck is a little better, new one rides very nice, even empty....i put airbags under the rear for when i pull trailers, and i bought the 7.3 gas, with which i have no problems....pulls the 30' boat very well, but i don't pull faster than 65 (most of the time anyway)....after many diesels, i like the low over-all cost and convenience of the gas, give up a little pulling power, but that's what the 10-speed is for

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Well, I couldn't find what I wanted anywhere near me. Looked into ordering one and was $80k for an xlt with the sport package (which is needed so it isn't hideous). Went in to the GMC dealer here and ended up ordering a 25 duramax SLE trim. $73k msrp with every option I wanted and they'll give it to me at invoice which should be $69-$70kish.

Hoping the 25 will take care of the issues the 24s have been having, guess we will see.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Premium Features