• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

hood vent metal clips....get rid of them!!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
you guys are talking goo remover and such am i missing something because all mine has is 3/8 inch insulation is this stock no foam!
the earlier m-sleds had glued in foam, mine did. It was an 05.

Dont have any clips on my hood, just some frog skins and heat tape but the pipe.
011.jpg

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
does anyone make a product like the frog skinz covers for the onpening in the very front of the hood for these upper vents? i have the ones on the front and have noticed that the clips are kind of mangled for the other vents, i would like to prevent some the woes of these little clippers

YEP!! Frog Skins and Cat both do. Got them on mine.:)

S
Oct 25, 2008
FSJ BC
Inspectin my new 09 tonite I found at least a dozen of those little clips wernt even installed correctly and ready to fall off. I was only thinkin of trying to fish a screen out of the belly pan, and not the damage they can do. Yikes, glad I caught them.

Nov 12, 2008
I had one exhuast spring go threw the clutches and thrashed them I couldn't find anyone to fix them. Now I high temp silicone them so if they do break they may stay together enough not to fall off until I see them

M
Nov 26, 2007
I just bought an 09 M8 it has 314 miles. Have not rode it yet, but today I looked at the clutch's. And they are both the primary and secondary and chewed up.

Looks like one of the hoods clips got into them. And it is 1 month out of warrenty, not sure that warrenty would cover it....****ing great :mad:

Backcountry Bandit

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2008
Same with mine. That and a little preventitive maintenance, check them once in a while.

not to be a dick, but, no matter how much "preventitive maintenance" you perform it wont be a for sure thing that they are not coming off. for example: you run alot of trees in the mountains (i do) i have had branches smack the mesh inserts in and off LOTS only to find the screen laying on teh air box and NO metal clips in sight....see what i am saying? why chance it? seriously. look how many people just on this thread alone have agreed or had something happen or have been removing them for years....thats JUST this thread! the ONLY way to garauntee them NOT doing any damage is removing them. besides i tie strapped mine in a matter of ten minutes and they look better than teh metal clips. smaller. i do alot of preventitive maintenance....but i ride hard too.

M
Nov 26, 2007
not to be a dick, but, no matter how much "preventitive maintenance" you perform it wont be a for sure thing that they are not coming off. for example: you run alot of trees in the mountains (i do) i have had branches smack the mesh inserts in and off LOTS only to find the screen laying on teh air box and NO metal clips in sight....see what i am saying? why chance it? seriously. look how many people just on this thread alone have agreed or had something happen or have been removing them for years....thats JUST this thread! the ONLY way to garauntee them NOT doing any damage is removing them. besides i tie strapped mine in a matter of ten minutes and they look better than teh metal clips. smaller. i do alot of preventitive maintenance....but i ride hard too.

Removing the POS hood clips is PREVENTITIVE MAINTENANCE

saves ya from them ****ing up your clutch's ;)

J
Feb 18, 2009
I just took all my clips and foam out from under the hood. There were a good 20 clips that were barly hanging on! I drilled out the tabs that the clips to hold the vents on would go and zip tied all my vents to the hood.

ziptied-vent.jpg

Sorry for the crappy image quality, I took it on my mobile.

ndmeathead

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2009
opened the hood today and it looks like clutch side mesh screen is still intact w/ 4 metal clips holding it on (two above foam, two glued into heat reflective foam). can side not a screen or a clip to be found. I'm calling dealer Monday with wishful thinking that they had some forsight on this problem. If they didn't where is the best place to start looking for these little buggers. None under can and sheaves appear in good shape. Zip clutch side in tonight and have been shopping for frogskinz online with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Premium Features