• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

holtz a-arms on dragon

C
Dec 1, 2007
I banged up one of my a-arms and an thinking of going with the holtz set-up. It will be on a 07 d7 , not sure if I like the idea of going wider??? Anyone had these on there sled?

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Had em on my 07 727 and even w/using the Simmons Gen II which are wider too. I really liked em , didn't take away from side hilling or any of that, sometimes were a bit to much in the trees but i learned how to get threw.In fact I'm putting the whole set up on my backup sled

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I have the complete Holz front and rear......and I LOVE IT!! Huge difference over stock and one of the best investments I made to my sled.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The Stock RMK is 40" centered on the spacers 39" - 40" - 41" by moving the spacers.

The ARS-FX (Z broz) are 40" centered on the spacers. and will go 39" - 40" - 41"

The Holz is 41 centered on the spacers and will go 40" - 41" - 42"

I run the Holz in the 40" position and really like them.

None of the A-arms change the geometry of the front end.. they make it lighter and tougher and I beieve will turn 1 or 2 degrees sharper than stock.

Don't look for any change in handling other than dropping some unsprung weight from the sled by using ANY of the aftermarket a-arms.

If you want to improve the handling... change out to the 2009 swaybar setup which should be possible and still keep the stock fenders.. your would need to cut some holes for it. It also drops some weight AND works much more smoothly.

Improvements in handling will come from improving your shocks and sway and spindles.

The spindles on the 07 RMK are the same as the 2006's. The 2008/09 spindles were a big improvement as far a steering effort.. the new factory spindles on the RMK's are near the geometry Holz/ARS spindles... the 09 Dragon/Assault spindles are about the same weight as the aftermarket ones... the Holz being the lighter of the two (the Holz A-arms are also slightly lighter than the ARS-FX)

In short, If you want your sled to handle well next season... pull off your Current A-arms... sell what is good... put the money into the Arms you like best (Timbersled, Holz, ARS-FX,Fabcraft, Alternative impact) , upgrade the spindles to the aftermarket parts or 2009 Dragon....

I think that Curt at FasTrax can help you with getting a 2009 swaybar into your 2005-2008 front bodywork....Parts and labor (if local)

Pull your shocks front and rear and send them into FasTrax for service and upgrade on the valving... They will check them for damage, upgrade the valving, change the oil and re-pressurize them...

Do all of this before September and you will not get caught up in the pre-season rush and have to wait.

Be SUPER CAREFULL when removing the front shocks... Cover the shafts with foam pipe insulation when removing them... The shafts will nick VERY easily if you even bump them on removal.

When going back on with them... I recommend using the Skinz Protective Gear neoprene shock boots on the ski shocks to protect your investment and keep them performing up to snuff.

Maybe Curt from www.fastraxmotorsports.com will chime in here on the shock upgrades??

Last edited:

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
The Skinz shock covers work AWESOME and really do work! Protect those shocks and save yourself a ton of money in repairs.

For what it's worth my buddy SledTech is a dealer for Z-BRO's and I rode his RMK with the kid installed and WOW! A bit spendy but the improvement is awesome!

View attachment 70255

Last edited:

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
M.H. is correct, we do have a variety of set ups for those shocks depending on several variables-we drill you when you call so we can reccomend the correct stack/piston/oil combo. I would insist you stay with the sway bar with the WE shocks,it has been a big struggle to get them to work well without one.As far as the '09 sway bar...I hate to admit it, but even with all the '09 body kits we've sold, we've never tried the '09 bar on an '08 or older chassis...the bulk of the sleds we've been building ended up with Z-Broz front ends...I know its pricey, but the difference really is phenominal for any rider or style.
Racerjb---have you looked at the '09 sway bar on an older chassis?
sorry I can't help more on that guys!
curt

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I just moved the spacers all the way to the inside and still achieved 40" center to center which was my stock measurement before I swapped them out. I love the Holz set up. I personally think you would have a hard time noticing the difference in the widest setting. My .02.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Alternative Impact A-arms
polaris%20chromoly%20a-arms%20white.jpg

Fabcraft A-arms
A%20arms.jpg

Holz A-arms
IMG_7346.jpg
HRP_1110R.1.jpg

Timbersled
timbersled-1.jpg

ZBroz (ARS-FX)
Polaris%20a%20arms.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
BTW....

Holz is the only MFG to offer the mounts for the sway bar on the pre 2009 IQ-RMK's and 2009/2010 non dragons. (first pic of Holz above)

As Curt pointed out... not recommended to run the Walker Air's without swaybar.

If you upgrade to the 2009 swaybar... I believe that all of the mfgs above will connect to the 2009 swaybar.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Absolutely love mine. I have the arms and the spindles and wouldn't change for a thing.

The non adjustable ski stance part of it is a moot point along with it being a 41" stance. It helps a bit on the trail to and from the backcountry and it steers way nicer then the factory 07 and 08 stuff. Don't know about the 09 design from Polaris.

Get them and never look back.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Correct on the no sway bar, mine is a 07 Holz set up and i thought hey i never ran a sway bar in my edge RMK so I pulled it once for about 1 mile ( has WE shocks) not a good thing went right back on

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
M.H. is correct, we do have a variety of set ups for those shocks depending on several variables-we drill you when you call so we can reccomend the correct stack/piston/oil combo. I would insist you stay with the sway bar with the WE shocks,it has been a big struggle to get them to work well without one.As far as the '09 sway bar...I hate to admit it, but even with all the '09 body kits we've sold, we've never tried the '09 bar on an '08 or older chassis...the bulk of the sleds we've been building ended up with Z-Broz front ends...I know its pricey, but the difference really is phenominal for any rider or style.
Racerjb---have you looked at the '09 sway bar on an older chassis?
sorry I can't help more on that guys!
curt

Sorry, I havn't tried the 09 sway bar on 08 and older plastics. I converted my sled to 09 plastics and removed the sway bar but am using Evol X's.

I think Evol X's (maybe Evol R's too) or Triple rate Exit shocks would be the only way to go for a non sway bar setup. You also lose a little more weight and gain a ton of performance by going with a high quality shock.

S.Diddy

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Park City, UT
I have the Z-Bros 40" set-up with Evol-X's and custom machined (by yours truly) Holz Spindles. I have to say I cannot be happier. Keeping that narrow front end only lets you have an easier time in technical spots. You don't have to relearn or adjust to anything. I would highly recommend spending the cash and go with some nice shocks to eliminate your sway bar. Once your finished you'll be so happy you did.

SANY0203.jpg

SANY0207.jpg

SANY0215.jpg

C
Dec 1, 2007
I'm either going with stock again or with the holtz (due to keeping my sway bar). So are the holtz stronger than stock? If so is that a good thing, wonder if it would just damage the bulkhead instead of the arms?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Holz A-arms will still give before the bulkhead does.

The IQ bulkhead is the strongest in the industry.

I've clipped a tree at speed and sheered off a set of Holz a-arms [top and bottom] and saw no indication of damage to the bulkhead.

The Holz arm are the same for the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009-non-dragon

There is a set of brand new ones for about $70 off list (including shipping) in the swap meet

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148126

Another set, used for $300

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151473

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
S.Diddy,

What did you "custom machine" on the spindles and why?

What are your Shock settings?

Main Air pressure
Evol Air pressure
Rebound clicker
High speed DSC (if DSC equipped)
High speed DSC (if DSC equipped)

Compression (if NOT DSC equipped)

F-Bomb.... if you are reading this... Please check your PM's and chime in here if you can... what were your Front Evol-X setting and Holz Alpha Rear settings?

Premium Features