• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High mileage summit 800

P
Jul 23, 2020
I’m looking at a 2014 summit 800 etec and it’s priced really cheap but it has 6500 miles. Some were mountain miles and most were trail miles. It was taken to a dealership for a check up last season and the compression was great and the guy said the dealer told him it still has plenty of life left in it. Anyone see summits live much past 6500 miles? I only need it for a year.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
Have not seen many go past 6000 miles. Mine went down at 6300. Ring rotated. Ran great before that. Replace the pistons and go for it. Peter

X
Oct 8, 2009
The question is not miles. I have seen rentals go past 10k. As with any engine component, wear is caused by heat, which is caused by load. You physically are the same. Bench press is easy without any bar or weight. You can do a bunch of reps. However, put a lot of weight on a bar and your cycle life (reps) decreases significantly. This is referred to as "work" done. More load equals more work. If you reduce load, it takes more cycles to do the same amount of work.

So, there is no way to answer your question unless you know the load cycle life compared to the load cycle life at the point of failure. Mountain sleds tend to see a lot of load. Trail sleds live a little easier life unless they are WOT all the time.

Premium Features