• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Have to rant...BEWARE

I have ridden rabbit ears a couple times....its an awesome area. That being said...the last time I was there an incident happened that really was a wakeup call. So me and my buddy get up there,,, the snow is EPIC...visiability is about zero though. After riding maybe a 1\2 mile out of parking lot we stop and take stock of the conditions. While we are stopped, another snowmobiler stops right beside me...he asks have I seen a group of riders, I say no ,,,you couldnt see anything. He sits there for a minute...trys to start his sled, wont start, says he is out of gas. So me being naive good samaritan offer him my sled to go back to parking area to get his gas can, since conditions were miserable visability wise I say take my sled,,,we will just wait for him to get back. Shorter version of long story he never brought my sled back!!! Fortunately the group he was with stumbled upon me...I explained situation, these guys were awesome and lead me to the lot they left from, different than mine...anyway we finally get to the lot there sets my sled...nothing missing...my keys, credit cards, wallet were in handlebar bag yet! This mystery sledder left me sitting there for an hour and half!! Anyway his sled was not out of gas,,,rode the hell out of it getting to parking area...the guys that directed me to my sled took us with them on a great ride the rest of the day. This could have been a disaster, lost sled , no keys, no wallet...I know (how dumb are you lending your sled to a stranger)...Anyway in 20 years of banging around wyoming, montana, idaho...I have never had that happen!! So hats off to the helpful crew that saved my trip. As for mystery sledder no one claimed to know anything about him...I am not a vengeful person...but I would have loved to take his sled back out to who knows where and left it..but snow as so deep you couldnt ride double...and I did not want to waste my time being an *******...I came to ride not get into a fight. But will think twice about situations in the future. Food for thought Colorado is great except for one mystery sledder.

dam u got really lucky. but things happen for a reason but at least you came out fine and was able to have fun still, i would of like when i see that dude im going to worlstar his ***.

I give you credit. I think duct taping the throttle to the bars before pulling the start cord may have happened if it were done to me. What was he thinking? I hope we never come to the day when we can't trust a fellow snowmobiler....but then stories like this come about.

WTF.
When did this happen? That's a pretty bizarre story. Way to help a guy out who's in a bind, though. I've had some people save my a$$ at Rabbit Ears when I got towed back to the lot with my exploded secondary in my backpack.

Letting other people ride your sled/quad/bike is just asking for something terrible to happen. I've seen that go sideways way too many times.

I second the "duct tape throttle to bar and send it on it's way" idea. lol

Super weird story. Something's missing though. Appears guy dupes you into stealing your sled while leaving his there w you. Maybe it was stolen.....but then after stealing your sled he levels it in the lot untouched and is nowhere around.
What'd you do with his machine? Those weren't his buddies, he just hooked up at the parking lot to ride w them?
Strange.

Super weird story. Something's missing though. Appears guy dupes you into stealing your sled while leaving his there w you. Maybe it was stolen.....but then after stealing your sled he levels it in the lot untouched and is nowhere around.
What'd you do with his machine? Those weren't his buddies, he just hooked up at the parking lot to ride w them?
Strange.

Strange indeed...I left his machine where he left mine,,in the parking lot...his "buddies" said he was in lot and needed someone to ride with, just hooked up there...anyway the mystery sledder seemed nervous, like he was on something in retrospect...his "buddies" said he was having words with a woman minutes before they departed. If I had not just driven 600 miles to get there I would have looked into it more, but only had a couple days and the snow was great..I think february 18th 2016..

The strangeness is why I shared story..anyway he was riding a POLARIS ASSAULT/15...i think thats what it was, nice sled, for a minute I thought his sled was stolen,,,but doubt it. It was strange, random, and nerve racking. Next time I will go get whatever it is someone else needs...but at the time it seemed so simple..lol..my riding buddy had a brand new sled..like 2 miles..but since snow was so deep it was easier to swim over to mine..heck my sled had 150 miles on it..lol to qoute that guy from the movie Dreamcatcher...what a ****aree..

I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt. What he did was dickish but it is possible he had a family emergency and had to leave quick.

As for his sled not starting, its possible he was new and the kill switch was on or his tether was not fully pressed in or his sled is hard to start when warm. Had an ATV rider last year swear he ran out of fuel 10 minutes into a ride which I fixed by turning the fuel petcock valve on.

His sled was just "loaded up" from all the powder...you couldn't go far without stopping and clearing the hood vents etc on everyones sled that day...I feel fortunate that there was no foul play involved...end of story!!

I think I would have called the Sheriff or Colorado State Parks because it is so odd. They could trace the registration if there was one or at the very least, the VIN.

A flakey dude who wanted to get back to his vehicle to chase down 'skirt' issues. Stupid, selfish, self-absorbed moron, absolutely, acting like a total stoner. And lucky, too, he left before you got there. If he has a simple thief, he would have taken your sled. Likely came back to retrieve his sled, or someone else stole it from the lot, if it wasn't stolen already. This is the same moron who would take someone's truck to get back to town (everyone used to leave the truck keys in the fuel door in Montana for anyone to get to in an emergency, or move the truck if in the way - we were all locals - but that was years ago). Thanks for sharing, worthwhile read.

A flakey dude who wanted to get back to his vehicle to chase down 'skirt' issues. Stupid, selfish, self-absorbed moron, absolutely, acting like a total stoner.
Exactly...nervous as Hell after we thought it over. I did get the VIN off the sled just in case...but never followed up with anything.

Premium Features

Back