• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grand lake where to stay, any guides?

R
Nov 15, 2013
SE Wisconsin
As the others have stated. Make sure you trailer to Idleglen and head out from there. You'll save 12 miles of trail riding. And in those first 12 miles, it's all at about 9000 feet so the snow is not even close to as deep as at 10-11k feet. That way you'll save your energy for the off trail and higher elevation. We didn't, but I wish we would have. I believe it's about a 5 mile drive from town to the parking area. South out of town I believe.

S
Mar 6, 2015
Iowa
Ok, here is the scoop....We went up Thursday, Friday and today. You absolutely can not ride from town. Don't even try. Idleglen is about the only place, from what I understand, you can really access the trails. Idleglen is a muddy disaster! Just the lot itself. Once you take off from there, the trails have some slushy spots and pretty sticky bit totally fine for the first mile. After that they are better and better as you go up. High elevation is great. Groomer was out last night and the further you get away from the rental places, the better. Super chicken hill, Gravel Mountain areas were great. They will need some snow in the next week or so at Idleglen area or they may be in trouble if it stays this warm.
I managed to wrap my sled around a tree. I was trying to do one of those big hills at Gravel Mountain and got sucked into the trees. BAAM! Superman, right off my sled. We both survived.
I highly recommend eating at Sagebrush. Going to try the pizza joint tonight.

R
Nov 15, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Sucks to crash but as long as you're not hurt. Easier to buy parts for sleds than the body. Hopefully it cools down and some big snows move through to keep the season going.

Premium Features