• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grand Lake Area

Part of the appeal of your town. The Midwest guys drive 15 or 20 hours and have had enough. Factor in that it seems to be the thing in the States to the north, and there ya go.

Suits me just fine, just means less people where I want to ride.

I know how it is up north being a Minnesota native. I used to have a house in town I could ride from. Hit the trail north of town, and ride 10 miles of county road ditches to work.

It is definitely a different deal in the mountains though. The good stuff is worth the drive!

We went to Grand Lake last year. We did have to change the clutch weights for the elevation. (Coming from Iowa) We stayed in town. Road out on the trail on day one. Not enough snow. Trailered to the trail head the following days. Nice mix of trail and off trail riding. The risk of slides is much higher right now than when we were there. Be smart. The town is super cute, great food. Like others said, no place for food or drink while you are out. Pack plenty of water and your lunch. (Much different than the trails of the North Shore.) We never did go through a tank of gas. Just a different type of riding than us flat landers are used to. If you are not used to the high altitude, I suggest you start hydrating now. Plan to drink far more water than you are use to. Trust me on this one. ;-)

Grand Lake to Gould 45 miles with some off trail play both directions. It is 23 miles to to the trail to head to Illionois Pass. It was an awesome ride. single lane ungrommed for about 5 miles. Then we hit the other side and it was perfect, some grommerd and lotsa a powder. We were the only ones there plus another group from WI that we met. On the way back, we had a 15 minute standoff with 2 bull moose. We took lots of videos and pics, a day to remember!!! Yes, there is gas, should call ahead to make sure they are open. We all had Etec 800's, we could make it there and back but no reason to take a chance...

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back