• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GM to become CM (Chinese Motors)?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Custer, SD
Can you show me where it is illegal?

Because unless it is illegal, then it is legal. Make sense? Unless something is prohibited, then you have every right to do it.

Yes I can! Article 1 section 8

The government is only allowed the powers granted in the 18 enumerated powers. Anything they do that is not granted in the constiution is therefore illegal.

Article I, Section 8: Congressional Powers specifically enumerated in the Constitution

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States;...
To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;
To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;
To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;
To coin Money, regulate the Value therof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;
To establish Post Offices and post Roads;
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;
To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;
To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;
To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;
To raise and support Armies, but no Aprropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
To provide and maintain a Navy;
To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;
To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;
To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia...;
To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States,...
To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

B

B C

Nov 26, 2007
Montucky
GM took the best of both of the above. (what was best for them anyway)
Just plain & simple.....wrong!

And they are still taking what's best for them. Like the $45 Billion tax break they received a couple weeks ago, which was based on loses incurred from the Old GM. I'm still trying to figure out how a "new" company gets a tax break from a bankrupt company's losses.

What foreign companies? Toyota took Japanese government "bailout" money.

They are about the only ones. Companies like Hyundai took nothing during the bailout, except for market share from the big 3.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
What foreign companies? Toyota took Japanese government "bailout" money.

They are about the only ones. Companies like Hyundai took nothing during the bailout, except for market share from the big 3.

Then buy your next "truck" from Hyundai and don't bitch when you or your brother in law get laid off.

B

B C

Nov 26, 2007
Montucky
Then buy your next "truck" from Hyundai and don't bitch when you or your brother in law get laid off.

Hahahaha. Now this thread is about trucks? Seriously? LMFAO. You know they've run out of facts when they start getting personal. Did you even look at that list? GM & Chrysler were the only auto companies there. At least my bank wasn't on there.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Hahahaha. Now this thread is about trucks? Seriously? LMFAO. You know they've run out of facts when they start getting personal. Did you even look at that list? GM & Chrysler were the only auto companies there. At least my bank wasn't on there.

So yes, 2 of the 3 AMERICAN auto companies were on that list.

That was ONLY the American companies bailed out by the U.S. government.

Toyota was bailed out by the Japanese government. I read Honda was going to ask for money, I don't know if they ever did.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Bottom line is......and you cannot argue......
Ford did not take advantage of this freeforall cash grab from our children & grandchildren.
They have proven they deserve our support.

Don't worry, by supporting them you will be supporting US & Canadian autoworkers.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
For me, when I am ready to spend $30k-$50k, I will buy the truck that I think suites my needs. There are still millions and millions of AMERICANS that work for GM. Because the company (like many other companies) struggled and needed help that is not a reason to stop buying from them. Unless of course you are going to avoid the other companies I posted above.

I want GM to sucede not only so the American government can get their money/investment back but so millions of Americans who rely on GM for a paycheck in some way can continue to make that money.

GM is a huge part of American history and it would truely be sad if they were no longer around. Competition is good for the consumer.

Premium Features