• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting more out of on 04 800?

HOOTS, thanks for the reply!

i have REad the thread you're talking about and realize the BJ is a very solid choice. I was hoping for some LOCAL guys to speak up about their experience with either RKTek Drop in or 827 experience or BJ 840 experience(got his website in bookmarks);)......... Whatever I end up doing, it would sure be nice to have some local guys to compare notes with when dialing in.

V.E, I ride the same area you and Paul ride. Last fall I built a 04 800 144 for a buddys son with Big John's clutching and other tricks, oem pistons (yes the single ring that everyone says are garbage) CPI pipe(?? BJ says probably a no gainer but had already sold stock pipe) Head mod, dropped to 410 mains.

This sled goes all day, never gets a rest and kills the 146 and 154 XP's. The hottest the clutch gets is 128' F on my infared gun after repeated climbs and is still on the original belt. Sled now has over 4,000 miles on it. This off-season he wants to go to a 150 2.5 track, but honestly, I don't think it's needed.

PM me if you want more notes or help.

ive ran a proven combination a couple 04 revs.

dj clutch kit, dynoport pipe anc can, 400 mains, boysen reeds. and boondocker nitrous. 151x2.4x16 camo extreme.

off the nitrous this setup kills stock 154 xps.

on the nitrous well.....new ball game.

add a drop in kit and im sure it will RIP

the nitrous isnt a bad addition. it wont hurt your motor in 2 seasons thats forsure.

My Rev

JROD, here is my VA Rev!

04Rev.jpg

Thanks! New for next year, going to have Big John:

Head mod
Rave springs
Clutch

Don't know if I should do a CE 156X16x2.5 or have the cylinders ported??? Has a Mav 162 on it now.

VE .... I ride the same areas as you.

I have an 04 800 with RKT's drop in pistons, 13.5/1 RKT head, RKT ported jugs. Stock ceramic coated pipe with a HPS can. 19/46 gears with 10 tooth extros. I have it clutched the best that I can.

Power: it flat out rips! At any elevation, it pulls and pulls and pulls. Very happy with the power.

I've had very good luck with the kit. I change out the rings every season and have not had a reliability issue that hasn't been my own fault. I've had it for 3 seasons. I can't remember, maybe 4.

With all the good points, I have a bad one. The compression. It's not the head but the high compression domes. (I can change these, but have been lazy) I have to run 2 gallons minimum of 114 when I ride around here... Stampede sno park, Salmon la sac, Baker, etc. Below 3000 ft, I have an erratic idle at times that I contribute to deto or some other issue I can't seem to fix. If I had to do it all over again. I would be running stock compression 13/1 for piece of mind. I have easy access to 114 but it gets spendy at $6+ a gal.

Good luck with BJ's stuff. My buddy has some of his stuff and raves about his customer support and advice. :beer;

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back