• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Full Face Mountain Biking Helmets - Who is using them and which one do you like?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Hey Everybody,
I know there are some of you out there using full face downhiller helmets in spite of the lack of a DOT rating. I would love to hear from you and would love to know which ones you are running and if you like them. My main concern is just warmth. In a perfect world, I would actually just buy one helmet and use it for biking in the summer AND snow in the winter, but that is probably a lot to ask of a helmet. Anyway, what ones do you like and what are you doing to stay warm?

P.S. Please don't hi-jack my thread about how it's not safe. Feel free to start your own thread on the topic if you would like.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Damn! I wanted to hijack your thread about safety. Ok, I won't go off but can you just answer if a DOT mountain bike helmet is the same as a DOT motorcycle helmet? I'm curious because the mountain bike helmet is lighter.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I used a Giro for a couple years....years ago. It was ok, but from what I've seen, all MTB helmets have quite a bit more venting, so on a cold day they can get chilly (even with a balaclava), particularly on the trail out at day's end.

I think I would try to find a well vented, lightweight motorsports helmet to do both....rather than a less-vented, beefy MTB helmet. Not thread jacking, as I have used both. Safety wise, I'm sure there's somewhat of a difference, but truth be told I have taken worse wipeouts on an MTB than I have on a sled....soooo ?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Troy Lee D3

It works. And I hit my head harder mountainbiking than sledding.

I wouldn't say it's overly warm but it's not cold or anything. Cruising groomers at 50mph as the sun is coming up still warrants some neck and jaw cover.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I like the Troy Lee D3. I feel safe enough wearing it. If I rode a Polaris Pro with glued A-arms that fall apart under normal riding conditions, I would not feel safe wearing it!:face-icon-small-ton

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/DH-Helmets-vs-Motocross-Helmets-Which-Is-Safer.html

Helmet certification standards are a highly controversial subject in motorcycle circles, everyone wants to believe their helmet’s certification standard is number 1 but at the end of the day it’s down to each rider to do their research, make their decision and the wear their helmet. Every time.

Troy Lee D3 helmet
Exterior shell: aerospace carbon/composite shell
Interior liner: EPS foam with TLD dual density shock pad system
Weight: Size L is 1111 grams
Vents: 20 intake and exhaust ports
Safety standards: Exceeds CPSC 1203, CE EN1077, CE EN1078, ASTM F1952, ASTM F 2032, ASTM F2040 bicycle and snow certifications
What makes it cool: Besides the great TLD graphics, titanium visor screws, Dual Density Shock Pad System for improved comfort and protection, the removable, washable liner that provides 20 vents for cool air transfer, and improved airflow? Maybe that it comes with two visors?
Other stuff: The chin bar area has been optimized to cover the chin area better than on the D2; the cheek pads fit a bit snugger compared to the D2 and have a quick release tab for quick removal in an emergency; and the D3 was intentionally designed to be more compatible with neck braces.

Here's some info on standards of motor sports helmets.

DOT – An acronym for Department of Transport, DOT is the is US government approved standard and, in the United States, is the most popular. DOT standards are aimed at protecting skulls from 90% of impact types ( low to moderate energy impacts according to the HURT Report) and favours a more shock-absorbent helmet. The maximum G-force allowed by the DOT test is 250g’s, an impact of 200 to 250 g’s to the head would result in a severe, though probably survivable brain injury (the DOT anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The DOT’s favouritism towards more shock-absorbent helmets seems to fall inline with recent studies indicating that absorbing the force of an impact is more important than resisting the impact.

Snell – The Snell Memorial Foundation is a not-for-profit, independent organisation established in 1957 and is named after William “Pete” Snell, a famous racing car driver who was tragically killed in 1956 when a helmet failed to protect his head during an accident. The Snell M2005 is the “old standard” and favours a more shock-resistant helmet, the M2010 is the new, more shock-absorbent standard. The Snell M2005 test allows an impact-shock of up to 300g’s, a 250 to 300g impact would result in a critical head injury. The M2010 standard allows a maximum of 275g’s (the Snell anvil is a steel ball shaped rather like a tennis ball, they also test with flat and “kerb” shaped anvils). The Snell M2005 standard is widely believed to be too “hard”, the newer M2010 is set to replace it completely in 2013, the M2010 standard favours more impact-absorbent helmets and a helmet that passes the M2010 test will probably also pass the DOT and ECE R22-05 tests (though this isn’t guaranteed). Snell certified helmets are allowed by the AMA for professional motorcycle racing however the M2005 standard will no longer be permitted after 2011.

ECE R22-05 – Developed by the rather lengthily named United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, this is the most common helmet certification internationally, required by over 50 countries worldwide. It is approved for all competition events by AMA, WERA, FIM, CCS, Formula USA and the big one – MotoGP. It, much like the DOT standard, favours a more impact-absorbent helmet allowing a maximum of 275g’s (the ECE R22-05 anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The ECE R22-05 is arguably the most up-to-date helmet certification standard, it’s wide use in a variety of high-level motorcycle racing classes is reassuring to many. The ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard, an ECE R22-05 certified helmet are likely to pass the DOT test and vice-versa.

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I also wore a giro last year but I'm a big guy with a big fat head. Being said there are pros and coins to that. My head is always hot and can use the extra venting unless its truly cold it has a bite. But it seems like its not a very deep lid, my chin and jowels are kind of exposed. Feels weird

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
iboats

PS. Josh, I just noticed your iboats thread about your 79 ski supreme. I can't believe the detail you are going into for that thing. That is a labor of love!!! As a fellow inboard owner, I have a great appreciation for the "classics" and love seeing one of them restored.

Here is a stars and stripes that I guy in my area has restored and is now selling. absolutely beautiful!!!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=26476570&cat=147&lpid=&search=mastercraft&ad_cid=4

Last edited:

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
PS. Josh, I just noticed your iboats thread about your 79 ski supreme. I can't believe the detail you are going into for that thing. That is a labor of love!!! As a fellow inboard owner, I have a great appreciation for the "classics" and love seeing one of them restored.

Here is a stars and stripes that I guy in my area has restored and is now selling. absolutely beautiful!!!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=26476570&cat=147&lpid=&search=mastercraft&ad_cid=4
You just hi jacked your own thread! Ha!:doh::director:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Hey Everybody,
I know there are some of you out there using full face downhiller helmets in spite of the lack of a DOT rating. I would love to hear from you and would love to know which ones you are running and if you like them. My main concern is just warmth. In a perfect world, I would actually just buy one helmet and use it for biking in the summer AND snow in the winter, but that is probably a lot to ask of a helmet. Anyway, what ones do you like and what are you doing to stay warm?

P.S. Please don't hi-jack my thread about how it's not safe. Feel free to start your own thread on the topic if you would like.

I been using them for the last 7 years, Flawless. slimmer profile , More venting and 1/2 the weight of the lightest DOT out there.fit the goggles perfectly. these work so well i use them single track on the KTM also. Highly suggest.. Havnt seen any cars on the mountain , not once , dont need DOT..Ive taken many hits down chutes with the sled no issues.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
I been using them for the last 7 years, Flawless. slimmer profile , More venting and 1/2 the weight of the lightest DOT out there.fit the goggles perfectly. these work so well i use them single track on the KTM also. Highly suggest.. Havnt seen any cars on the mountain , not once , dont need DOT..Ive taken many hits down chutes with the sled no issues.

byeatts turned me onto the downhill mountain bike helmet last season, holy smokes talk about light weight, slimmer too. I absolutely have no complaints about it, rode anywhere from -10F to 50F. Perfect for mountain riding IMO.

B
Dec 12, 2007
w.kootenays
i just got a troy lee d3 carbon.... if your into jumping carbons the way to go.

my last helmet was a six one six carbon....nice light helmet but not the best quality, vents are fastened to helmet lame in my opinion.

also had a thor carbon...awesome helmet...had for 4 seasons too bad i put it to close to the fire place...

P

phillybean

Feb 4, 2012
Kelowna BC
I ride with a Protec downhill helmet. 3 years now. I bought a nose cone that I made work, have the google quick straps and wear a Klim Balaclava and it works great. Super light which is awesome.

K
Nov 27, 2007
Washington
I have worn a 661 carbon since 2005. I like the extra venting onc we get to the real riding. I overheat in a motor helmet. Have to put on a balaclava for the trail though if is below 25 or so. My neck used to hurt also. Of course modern sleds help with that too?. I justify it in the same wYs as the other guys, I think a lot of the weigh of dot helmets comes from crush protection rather than impact protection. Bike helmets are the same or close for impact rating.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Bike Helmets

Our family has two Pro Downhill Mountain Bikers. From first hand real world destructive testing of Bike helmets vs Motorcycle helmets I see a large difference in impact protection. Bike helmets are optimized for weight, not protection.

Conclusion: If you want impact protection go with a Moto helmet and do not consider a bike helmet of any sort. Yes, we used the top ones (some mentioned above) and the protection is not close in real world crashes.

The top ones are not that much different in price and the MFR's have a better economy of scale on the Moto helmets, therefore a deal for the extra protection.

"You pays your money and takes your chances". Same money and way better protection - no brainer! Pun intended for those that do not care.

scootdog

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2011
SF Bay Area Now, Tahoe soon
Giro makes a remedy for snow with less vents than mtb. Pretty sure they are same helmet minus vents. Have both use them for spring and winter as well as biking. Pretty solid way lighter than dot helmet.

If I'm riding and skiing I use remedy, if just riding I use dot helmet.

Premium Features