• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For those of you that get cold hands while riding...........

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_primovolta_gloves.html

Maintains hand temperature using a conductive film that conducts less electricity when warm, and more when cold.

6 hours of warm hands, using rechargeable batteries.

Goretex

$259, but might be well worth it if you are out and away from your sleds hand warmers.

Pretty cool new product

I might have to give these gloves a try!

Check it out......

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I saw this in popular science, and they are saying that they have developed liners for boots as well........

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You can get battery powered (AA battery) warming strips about 2x3 inches which heat to around 105F for $10.00 They last for about 2 hours on a AA battery.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
and earth friendly

hmm...concerns me what type of people these are made by...

granted i'm not on a mission to 'destroy the earth' or anything, but typically when phrases like "earth friendly" are used, the $ isn't going for a posative cause towards our sport.

BUT, on a more posative note, look like they'd be nice for those cold days!

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho

granted i'm not on a mission to 'destroy the earth' or anything, but typically when phrases like "earth friendly" are used, the $ isn't going for a posative cause towards our sport.

You might be right. But if you are going to sell these things you have to try and reach both sides of the fence. So they have to throw in the greeny crap to pull in the X-country ski folks and the tree huggers. That is where the money and a lot of people are.

We are small bread compaired to them. :(

Thunder

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Thanks for the link Jeff. I have bad circulation and my hands do get cold. Even my feet get cold :(

Soak your hands and feet in hot water for 15-20 a few times a winter. It helps open up your capillaries(tiny blood vessels) that go to the end of your toes and fingers. I do this a couple times every winter and it helps. Not a huge amount, but it does help. I've resorted to carrying enough gloves to last a week. :D My feet never get cold though. My Altimate's are rated to 150 below zero or something like that.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I've heard handguards help with the wind chill thing. I'll be putting a pair on my sled this fall.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Looks like a good product, although spendy.
Would definately be good to have for emergencies.

They look a little to bulky for me... Never know till you try I guess.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
After I put the riser on the bars I installed handguards too.
They help a very small amount but my hands still get very cold on the real frozen days even with the grips turned on high (Mainly at high speeds)
I'm going to look for a good pair of mittens this season for the coldest days.
I think they would be the best for keeping warm.

They would be only for the trail ride to the play areas. That's when the hands get the coldest, and then I'd switch to my gloves when I got there for better control.

Anybody else try this?

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
OR if I recall does donate to greenie groups, maybe someone with time can look it up. Handgaurds help.One Thing I found is gloves with thinner palms keep my hands warmer than big thick gloves since the grip wamers have less layers between them and my hands. Rode in neg 15 a few times last year with Fox thermal paws that are leather palms with Neopren backs and my hands were alwasy toasty.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I just carry chem hand warmers.
Pic em up at the end of the season for a buck for 4.
Just slide one inside the glove on the back of the hand. 5 minutes and your fingers are roasty toasty.

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
bring an extra pair of gloves, i have noticed that when i sweat and or get snow in my gloves the become very wet, therefore freezing ( literaly to the handlebars) and then my hands get damn cold. a fresh pait of dry gloves goes a long way. hand guards don't help much, i have run them and not run them for a few years now, for me my finger tips are what get cold and unless you have oversized guards they don't help the figer tips. not to mention they break off when you roll your sled. a set of fresh dry gloves is key.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN

I think they are getting at the "green" thing by saying the batteries are rechargeable

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I realize there are alternatives to these gloves, and far less expensive as well.

These might be great for ice fishing, or overnight camping, or emergencies, or as a back-up pair..........or?

Just wanted to point out a pretty cool pair of gloves to you all............. That's it.............

Premium Features