• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First time to the Big Horns.

Porsy73

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2013
So we are planning our first trip to the Big Horns this year and are staying in Sheridan. My question is the trail starting at Red Grade Rd Parking area on trail A passable all the time or do you drive up until the snow starts park and go from there? Or is it just better to go up north to Black mountain parking area? Any help would much appreciated.

Porsy73

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2013
Yes I looked into the lodges & found that I can rent a house in Sheridan cheaper than just staying at the lodge. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to drive into the mountains every day we wanted to ride. If that's what I need to do its fine just was hoping for a quick drive then a nice ride into the mountains. So that's why I was wondering about those two trail parking lots.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Definitely stay up top. IMO, that drive sucks after the first couple days up and down, especially if the weather is anything close to marginal.

Porsy73

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2013
That's why I was hoping that the Red Grade Parking lot would be a good place to set off from. I am used to riding trails and did the math and it was only about 39 miles of trails up north and with some of the slower riders in my group that would probably be for the best. I'm aware that going up to the lodges is the best bet but like I said was just hopeful I guess. And since this is our first time out there just putting some feelers out there and going to see what we like doing.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
40 mile trail ride after a day of pounding the hill? not much fun. I don't know the trail you are speaking of, but it doesn't sound like it is used very much. that could be both good and bad.

I want to say its like 70 miles from Sheridan to the top of the hill. Do what you like, but it seems like you might be spending a lot of windshield time in both the truck and on the sled to save a few bucks.

I have been to the Bighorns 5 times over the last 10 years, with the 6th time being 2 weeks from now. I can say I have been on the road going up from Dayton before when it's snowing heavy and it is not very much fun.

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
x3 on staying at the top.

The main road out of Ranchester can be hairy enough, let alone all the twistys on red grade. Snow depth is not showing much snow in that area, so not sure what you would find.

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
I haven't been on Red Grade this year, but IMHO it really isn't that bad of a trail ride up to the top from the parking area. There are plenty of place to ride between the top of Red and North toward the highway.

Porsy73

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2013
Ok thank you Lander that's what I was hoping to hear like I said since this is our first trip out there we are probably just going to be taking it easy anyways. So its nice to hear that its passable and I was looking it has some snow according to snowtel in the area. And for a couple in the group it is a test trip to see if they want to come with again so if the answer is no then next time we come down will probably just stay at one of the lodge's.

clarson80

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Valley City, ND
No offense, but the previous posts are right...Sheridan is quite drive from rideable snow, you'll spend more $$ on fuel in the pickup than you're saving on the room. If possible, I would check with the lodges up there, you'll have a much better time!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
More options staying in Sheridan food and gas last few stays up top have not been very good I would rather stay on top but the drive isn't that bad. Trail up red grade is usually pretty good just long trail ride to better snow. The snow in the horns can drastically change in 10 miles.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
My experience has been that there is more snow up top around and not limited to, Wyoming High Country area. My big concern would be getting trapped up there with no place to stay if the road back is impassable.
Call these people for conditions/info. $.02
http://bearlodgeresort.com/

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I used to ride the horns a lot. Most of the people that go there book rooms at the lodges months in advance so a lot of times they are booked up. I usually would stay in Sheridan and drive back and forth everyday. Its about an hour from Sheridan up to Burgess Junction. Not a big deal since the lodges are: expensive, no cell service, very spotty internet, and the food sucks. Ive never ridden red grade, but from my understanding it is usually better late season?? I'm guessing there are a lot of rocks and not quite as much snow there this time of year.

Sheridan is a nice and fun town. The Wyoming Rib and Chop house makes a decent steak. A few different bars on main street that are all walking distance apart as well.

Make sure you guys have avalanche gear (beacon, probe, shovel, backpack). The bighorns don't get publicized as a big avalanche area, but i have seen a ton of slides there and everything open is usually corniced up. Maybe this isn't your first mountain trip? If not, sorry, just making sure you have the basics covered.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
We have stayed at the top and also stayed in Sheridan one year when everything on the top was booked. Sheridan is a nice town with alot of dining options I don't think I would do it again though. You loose so much time everyday loading, unloading and driving. A couple of the days were very slow going due to road conditions. You pay a little more on top but well worth it for convenience.

Porsy73

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2013
Thanks everyone for your 2 cents. I appriciate all the responses I got. Most of our group is trail ride orientated and the rest of us get off trail as much as possible. We are just looking to try a new area and see if some our trail riding group want to continue to move up in elevation. And also somewhere we can all go and be happy with trails and off trail and meeting up somewhere for lunch and the big horns sounded like a great place to go.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Thanks everyone for your 2 cents. I appriciate all the responses I got. Most of our group is trail ride orientated and the rest of us get off trail as much as possible. We are just looking to try a new area and see if some our trail riding group want to continue to move up in elevation. And also somewhere we can all go and be happy with trails and off trail and meeting up somewhere for lunch and the big horns sounded like a great place to go.
I can only ad that the food at the Bear was excellent when we were there many times in the past. Heads up, don't let your guard down, the weather there can turn for the worst in a hurry just like any other mountain range.
picture.php

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Sounds like Black hills might be better for your group.

Nope just took an 8 year old there over the weekend. Not enough snow to do anything but trail ride. The horns have a great trail system compared to most mountain ranges, should be a great spot. West Yellowstone would be a great place as well.

I can only ad that the food at the Bear was excellent when we were there many times in the past. Heads up, don't let your guard down, the weather there can turn for the worst in a hurry just like any other mountain range.

picture.php

With the horns beings so open it can be worse than most places at times. At least the trails are well marked to get you back home. I've had good experiences at all 3 lodges, but more bad than good. Still haven't had a bad lunch at high country though.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
My question is the trail starting at Red Grade Rd Parking area on trail A passable all the time or do you drive up until the snow starts park and go from there?

There are 2 parking lots at the base of red grade. Seeing pics of the storm that came through early/mid this week, you shouldn't have a problem riding red grade all the way to the HWY.

Premium Features