• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Enclosed Trailer battery Advice

T
Dec 30, 2008
Tetons
I am looking for some input on the best RV style batteries that you are using to power your enclosed trailer. How many, what size, where did you mount them, and did you direct wire or through a breaker box?

I
Sep 26, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
Get two 6 volt golf cart batteries and wire them in series to get 12V. You should be able to buy them at any RV parts/accesory store and they last a lot longer on a charge than 2 12V deep cycle batteries. That's how I have my 40' 5th wheel set up and I can run both furnaces and lots of lights for a winter weekend trip without firing my generator.

It will be overkill for an enclosed with a single furnace but that is not a bad thing. When I had my old enclosed I had a single 12V deep cycle and several times after a day of riding when I got back to camp I found lights were left on and the battery was dead.

T
Dec 30, 2008
Tetons
That is good news. I do plan to put an electrical furnace in the enclosed. As well, I already have wired some outlets for various use. I will begin my RV battery search tomorrow. THANKS.

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
we put a deep cycle marine battery in ours. it is mounted to the floor in the front V. we have an isolator before the battery and then a breaker between the isolator and the battery. we run a 1500w inverter off the battery and all the lights on the trailer. it also powers the fan on our heater. it works awesome and lasts a long time and whenever the truck is plugged in, it is charging.

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
even though it's more batterys I would go with the 6 volt's and put em in series. they will last much longer than a deep cycle 12v.

westsledin

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2008
I have been using 6volt batteries from Costco. Haven't seen any performance difference then a name brand IMO.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
You'll also want to install a Battery Tender inline between power and the battery. They monitor the charge and have different modes depending on the load and charge.

Premium Features