• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric Mountain Lodge & Grand Mesa Updates

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Still waiting, some snow...

Got back from Vaca at the beach and found to my sadness little new snow at the lodge. We currently have patches of 4 inch crust at the lodge but I drove a few miles above the lodge and almost did not make it to Overland Reservoir. At overland there were no patches of ground and 6-8 inches of crust in the sun, with a foot or more in shaded areas and drifts.

We are quickly making reservations for this winter season and will be updating our rates to be simpler to read and administer.

We do have a few lodge rooms that can sleep a few. The cabins sleep 6-8 and our new cabins sleep 3-4 people.

Check out our site or give me a call, I'd love to catch up with many of you I have not seen in a while.

Working on getting the web camera up ASAP.

Ben
EML

...major winter storm expected to impact eastern utah and western
colorado early next week...potential for heavy snow monday and
tuesday...

* two weather systems will impact the region early next week with the
second weather system expected to bring the heaviest snow.

* storm 1...saturday evening through sunday...the first system
reaches northeast utah and northwest colorado saturday evening
and sweeps across the remainder of western colorado on sunday.
Accumulations will be 5 to 10 inches over the eastern uinta
mountains and the northern and central mountains of western
colorado.

* storm 2...monday and tuesday...potential for widespread
significant snow for areas along the i-70 corridor and south.

* storm 2 potential accumulations for selected locations:

2 to 3 feet southwestern san juan mountains...grand mesa:)...west
elk...elk...and sawatch mountains.

Sideways Snow, I need a wall to make it drop!

:eek:
Woke up today to the best winter scene, a white out! The snow has been coming in sideways today with high winds. I wish I has a huge wall to make it all accumulate where I want, the drifts should be plentiful.

We will be getting a lot of snow here.... Stay tuned here and I'll let you know what falls.

Today: Snow. High near 20. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tonight: Areas of blowing snow and a chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 4. Wind chill values as low as -15. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 15 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Monday: Snow and areas of blowing snow. High near 21. Wind chill values as low as -15. Windy, with a southwest wind between 25 and 35 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Monday Night: Snow and widespread blowing snow. Low around 15. Breezy, with a south wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow and widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 17. Windy, with a west southwest wind between 30 and 35 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Tuesday Night: Snow likely. Cloudy and breezy, with a low around -4. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Wednesday: A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 17.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 9.

Thursday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 22.

Thursday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8.

Friday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24.

Friday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8.

Saturday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 25.

Warnings....

Blizzard Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND JUNCTION CO620 AM MST SUN DEC 6 2009COZ009-017>019-UTZ028-062130-/O.CON.KGJT.BZ.W.0001.091207T1300Z-091209T0100Z/GRAND AND BATTLEMENT MESAS-UNCOMPAHGRE PLATEAU AND DALLAS DIVIDE-NORTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-SOUTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-LA SAL AND ABAJO MOUNTAINS-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SKYWAY...RIDGWAY...GLADE PARK...OURAY...TELLURIDE...LAKE CITY...SILVERTON...RICO...HESPERUS...MONTICELLO AND VICINITY620 AM MST SUN DEC 6 2009...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM MONDAY TO 6 PMMST TUESDAY...A BLIZZARD WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...STRONG WINDS AND LOWVISIBILITIES REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM MONDAY TO 6 PM MSTTUESDAY.* A STRONG WINTER STORM WILL SWEEP OVER THE REGION BEGINNING ON MONDAY BRINGING BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW TO SOUTHWEST COLORADO.* SOUTHWEST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH WILL CAUSE PERIODS OF WHITE OUT CONDITIONS IN BLOWING SNOW.* BY TUESDAY EVENING 1 TO 2 FEET OF NEW SNOW IS EXPECTED... FAVORING SOUTHWEST FACING SLOPES. HIGHER DRIFTS ARE POSSIBLE.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS AREEXPECTED. WIDESPREAD FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDSAND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUTCONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IFYOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GETSTRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.&&$$

Hazardous Weather Outlook

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOKNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND JUNCTION CO545 AM MST SUN DEC 6 2009COZ001>014-017>023-UTZ022>025-027>029-071245-ANIMAS RIVER BASIN-ARCHES/GRAND FLAT-CANYONLANDS/NATURAL BRIDGES-CENTRAL COLORADO RIVER BASIN-CENTRAL GUNNISON AND UNCOMPAHGRE RIVER BASIN-CENTRAL YAMPA RIVER BASIN-DEBEQUE TO SILT CORRIDOR-EASTERN UINTA BASIN-EASTERN UINTA MOUNTAINS-ELKHEAD AND PARK MOUNTAINS-FLAT TOPS-FOUR CORNERS/UPPER DOLORES RIVER-GORE AND ELK MOUNTAINS/CENTRAL MOUNTAINS-GRAND AND BATTLEMENT MESAS-GRAND VALLEY-LA SAL AND ABAJO MOUNTAINS-LOWER YAMPA RIVER BASIN-NORTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-PARADOX VALLEY/LOWER DOLORES RIVER-ROAN AND TAVAPUTS PLATEAUS-SAN JUAN RIVER BASIN-SOUTHEAST UTAH-SOUTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-TAVAPUTS PLATEAU-UNCOMPAHGRE PLATEAU AND DALLAS DIVIDE-UPPER GUNNISON RIVER VALLEY-UPPER YAMPA RIVER BASIN-WEST ELK AND SAWATCH MOUNTAINS-545 AM MST SUN DEC 6 2009...MAJOR WINTER STORM WILL IMPACT THE REGION THROUGH TUESDAY...THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR EASTERN UTAH AND WESTERNCOLORADO..DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHTWIDESPREAD SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS OF EASTERN UTAHAND WESTERN COLORADO THROUGH TONIGHT. THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALLTHIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. ACCUMULATIONS UP TO 8 INCHES WILL OCCUROVER THE HIGHER MOUNTAIN PASSES OF WESTERN COLORADO. PLEASE VISITWEATHER.GOV/GJT FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAYA MAJOR WINTER STORM WILL IMPACT THE REGION MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED FOR THE SOUTHWEST AND CENTRALMOUNTAINS OF WESTERN COLORADO. WINDS GUSTING OVER 50 MPH...ALONGWITH HEAVY SNOWFALL AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CREATE EXTREMELYHAZARDOUS CONDITIONS. TRAVEL IS NOT ADVISED IN THE BLIZZARD WARNINGAREAS.THE SNOW WILL GRADUALLY DECREASE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...ALTHOUGH UNSETTLED CONDITIONS WILL PERSIST THROUGH NEXT WEEKEND.FOR ADDITIONAL DETAILS ON THIS SERIES OF WINTER STORMS...PLEASEVISIT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND JUNCTION WEBSITE ATWEATHER.GOV/GJT FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION..SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENTSPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT ANTICIPATED TODAY OR TONIGHT THOUGHSPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT ANY STRONG WIND GUSTS OR SNOWACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND JUNCTION.Stay tuned and we will update this thread with actual accumulation.

Webcam

I like your description of the sideways snow, but I would really like to see it as I sit in Minnesota dreaming of Grand Mesa Pow Pow!

Please get the web-cam fired up................

Thanks

Web Camera in the works

We will get the web camera up ASAP! We also have a weather station here I am working on setting up that will also report online. Any one have any suggestions on what type of camera to get? We have a sat connection for out internet so it makes the choice of the right camera a little harder.

The web camera is on the top of my project list!

Stay tuned....

Ben
GM Electric Mtn Lodge

15 inches, Electric Mountain Lodge

It snowed all day on Sunday....sideways! :D

It stopped snowing around 4:30 PM. :mad:

It started again in the early AM. :D

It snowed Sideways in the AM. :p

Then it just fell as a white-out. :eek:

and fell...:face-icon-small-con

and fell...:face-icon-small-con

It is still snowing hard now at 6PM. :D

1 foot of snow in the wind blow parking lot that was bare Sunday AM.

15 inches of snow in the trees around the lodge.

Three foot drifts in front of the lodge.

Now this is the storm I have been waiting for.... :eek:

Will ride to overland tomorrow for another report.

We plan to open on Friday, but stop in if your around...we will be here!

Pics on Flickr below...

15 inches of snow pic

Foot of Snow at Electric Mountain Lodge

Sled in 3 foot drift

www.electricmountainlodge.com

ben@electricmountainlodge.com

Ben

Looking Good

Grand and Battlement Mesas

a blizzard warning remains in effect until 6 pm Tuesday.

* a strong winter storm has moved into the region and will
continue to produce snowfall through Tuesday afternoon.

* southwest winds of 20 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph will
result in periods of white-out conditions in blowing snow...
Tonight and Tuesday.

* by Tuesday evening 16 to 30 inches of new snow:) is expected
with favored southwest facing slopes receiving accumulations
of up to 3 feet:D. Significant drifting will occur.

2.5 to 3.5 feet of snow at Electric! Truck Stuck, Sled Stuck...life is good!

Woke up to get supply order in Paonia, Colorado...
Found 2.5 feet of fresh powder in the parking lot...
Chained up the truck...ha, ha ,ha!
Got 15 feet on the first push with chains on the front of the truck!
I made a good snowbank with the bumper....

Out came the Polaris Dragon 700!
Broke trail most of the way to our Astro Van, it kicked *** too!

Got more snow all day.

It was awesome!

More picks on flicker too... trying to link them here but having issues...

Gotta go look for folk on the way in that are not here yet... here we go!

Ben

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45291276@N04/4171050684/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45291276@N04/4171049240/

Let me know if you can see these or not? Others on flicker too!

Ben

Wondering what the easiest way into Electric Mountain Lodge is. Is it an easier drive to go in from road 265 off of Highway 133 or is it easier to get in from Paonia on road 701? Or is there an easier way in? Do snow plows take care of the roads? I've been out that way during past hunting seasons and remember some areas of the road coming in from 133 can get quite sketchy when there is snow and ice. Thanks.

Pell,
You won't be driving anything but a sled or a snowcat into Electric. Easiest and fastest way in is from the Stevens Gulch trailhead above Paonia.

Ben,
WTF were you thinking keeping your truck at the lodge at this time of the year.... Guess it will be spending the winter in the high country. Sounds like the winter has begun

More picks on flicker too... trying to link them here but having issues...

Gotta go look for folk on the way in that are not here yet... here we go!

Ben

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45291276@N04/4171050684/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45291276@N04/4171049240/

Let me know if you can see these or not? Others on flicker too!

Ben

:D

4171050684_f99b4eb2d2.jpg

4171049240_21c5974920.jpg

Premium Features

Back