• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does such a turbo sled exist? Add fuel and go?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I've read a ton of threads here about guys messing with boondocker boxes, exchanging #s, looking at lights etc.

I've got a hate on for Boondocker boxes, but I'm really interested in a pump gas turbo 2 stroke. I do NOT want a 4 stroke tank. My dilemma is this:

I travel 1000-1400 miles from my home (750ft elevation) to ride anywhere from 6500-11000. I do not want to spend any time tuning this sled while I'm on vacation. I don't ride the sled here at all, other than a quick spin in the yard before I put it on the trailer.

I'm not looking for monster power, just a little extra track speed when I need it.

What is keeping some of these PGT sled from being true pull and go sleds? Is it the EFI? Boost controllers? I see that Power Commander has an Autotune feature. Could that not be incorporated into a turbo setup? If so, how well does it work?

Any information would be helpful.

Avoid boondocker... and the answer is YES.

I've had two stage II's that are stupid powerful, run great, and are pull & go.

You don't need to have a low power PG setup in order to have a reliable setup.

Every time I ride a PG sled I shake my head. They cost more than what I spent (I had dale install the whole setup on a brand new sled, no shortcuts) and they're not close to being in the same class as our sleds.

(I also ride with some BD RG setups that are badazz too though... but more maintenance then our sleds, heavier, less reed life)

PCV isn't ready for boost... it doesn't read boost.

If you JUST want PG though, you can have a completely pull & go sled like ours, you may just have some small burbles you'll learn to ride around. My sled I tune when I make a change (updated ECU, tuned for 10-15 min, added cold air intake, probably SHOULD tune, but I just rode around it because there was stupid snow last weekend, so didn't feel like tuning at all.) I could have taken the cutler setup & never touched a button had I not made any changes, but if you need to... the attitude box is VERY simple to tune.

Last edited:
Yeah.... Cat makes one. Its called the M1100t. :face-icon-small-ton

I'm sure someone makes one though. My super modded big bore with a pure logic box was basically pull and go. I would mess with the settings sometimes but I always ended up putting the settings back to where they were.

How do you tune with the attitude box? That one uses colored lights or something, doesn't it?

Did anything ever come of Precision EFI and their standalone engine management stuff?

I think no matter what kind of turbo you own you really need to know and understand how they work!!!!!!! I've owned a boondocker, pure logic, cutler, and Twisted. I run Twisted because of how simple and reliable it is. It uses the Dolbec box like the pure logic and cutler. I like the Dolbec boxes because they are very easy for people to learn. The boondocker box works great to but it took me over a year to feel fully comfortable with it. I learned the Dolbec box in 2 rides. My advice is to find a sled that just plain Rips and then build that exact one. All the pump gas kits run great but I have found there was a Ton of power that was not getting to the track! So the other very important piece is gearing and clutching! With the right combo we are seeing awesome power to the track and getting between 800-1200 miles on a belt. And we ride in the steep and deep and work the throttle like fat kid on an ice cream bar!

Dude once you own a turbo it's game over!!!!! If I had to ride a stocker again I would give it up! When I'm 70 yrs old ill still own a turbo and rip that sucker down the trails if I have to! People just don't realize what the pump gasses at 5-7 lbs of boost are capable of! Watch out!!!!!!!!

I am yet to see a stand alone that I would feel comfortable running. It is soooooooooo Awesome to be able to adjust your own Efi!!!!! We are even able to tune problems out of the stock Efi settings with these control boxes. It's great!

I like the idea of the standalone but I don't want to give up my ability to tune. No matter how good they get it, you will always find a day and time when you wish you could make minor adjustments to get it Spot On! Even on stock sleds this is true. Nobody has it perfect even the major manufactures struggle to cover every element of tuning.

If someone is going to own a turbo they need to learn how to run these control boxes'. Once they really understand them and feel comfortable with them their outlook on a stand alone will change.

The standalones on the 4 strokes work good but I have seen the guys that build these and they are constantly changing and tweaking to make them better. But they do work great!!!!

Adjustment is key, even many of the new bikes that are coming out allow you to switch between fuel maps......

As an owner of a turbo, a piped sled and having past odd mod sleds (triple in a RMK chassis) I can tell you one thing: More power = more tuning = more risk. You won't get power without having a very good knowledge of tuning. From what I've read, if you want the turbo power, you go with a reputable turbo build, have them do it and go ride with less than expected issues. But you can still have issues. The thing about my turbo is that it is fun...but it's essentially a motor hooked to a motor...separate electronics, fuel delivery and flow system. One small thing can wreck a trip. If you want to keep it reliable for your road warrior ways and you don't want to tune, leave it stock. If you want more performance, install a pipe and some good known clutching. The closer you keep it to stock, the more people know exactly what to do and how to make it run out of the box. You step into bigger power mods and you have to be a tuner and have to have the right stuff on you to expect a good weekend...and you might spend half the first day tuning. The current technology is awesome...but if you want pull and go turbos, there is no way to ignore the 4 strokes. They are tolerant and they run with a wide range of tuning. The turbo two strokes are incredible for power to weight, but you will tune more...even with the best kits. And, yes, you might blow a trip over it...or a motor.

I'll be clear, I know how to tune. But I get limited ride time compared to you westerners, and don't want to spend my time tuning when I could be riding.

What's interesting is we have some guys saying you absolutely have to tune, and some saying you don't depending on the turbo system and efi controller used.

What turbo systems and efi boxes are you guys whos are constantly tuning, running?

As an owner of a turbo, a piped sled and having past odd mod sleds (triple in a RMK chassis) I can tell you one thing: More power = more tuning = more risk. You won't get power without having a very good knowledge of tuning. From what I've read, if you want the turbo power, you go with a reputable turbo build, have them do it and go ride with less than expected issues. But you can still have issues. The thing about my turbo is that it is fun...but it's essentially a motor hooked to a motor...separate electronics, fuel delivery and flow system. One small thing can wreck a trip. If you want to keep it reliable for your road warrior ways and you don't want to tune, leave it stock. If you want more performance, install a pipe and some good known clutching.

I've run a number of mod sleds, from basic stuff, to full blown, and have a ton of friends with pipes/ mods whatever. My turbos have been WAY less work, WAY less tuning than any of my piped sleds, not even in the same ballpark, not even playing the same game.

I'd agree that you need to know what is going on, to an extent, and I'd agree that it's best to know how to tune, but I know more people with some kind of stumble on a piped setup than we have on the turbos we have, and they're easier to ride around.

from what I've seen, it's ALL about which kit, and which box. I know guys with PG BD setups that work... but our setup is just as reliable, and MUCH easier to deal with if you do need to tune, and makes WAY more power, and weighs less.

From the people I've talked to, if you want a NO bs setup, it's cutler or twisted, hands down. I hear guys like the breeze with all the issues he's got... he's dealt with more issues in one ride than I have in two sleds & numerous seasons.

If the starting numbers are close, you can close the hood & not touch a THING. Some basic maintenance here & there & you're ready for the next trip.

I've got a boondocker turbo on mine and it's completely pull the rope and go.. I know I'm not making the power some of these guys are but I haven't touched a boonie number all winter, have only played with the boost tee a few times ranging my boost from 8-10 lbs. I also am not pushing it to the edge either, run pretty conservative, but with the turbo it's still crazy impressive.

Hell I had a water gremlin last week messing with EGT's and I still didn't worry about a damn thing... it's put fuel in, check turbo oil and oil tank and ride the **** out of it.... it's just my view from my view point. I've finally been very pleased with clutching this winter with MDS weights (which made my clutch temps cooler than the stock sleds I ride with) and it's been just a blast to ride. The only tuning I do it setting my boost for the elevation we're riding at, check the duty cycle and boost number 2-3 times/day and ride the damn thing. As reliable a sled as I've ever ridden in my life.

I know ole boondocker gets nailed a lot on the forums, and I can only speak for mine.. but my boondockers pump gas kit on my M8 has been NOTHING but pull and go. Ask any of the guys in my riding group, they've been super impressed as well with not only performance, but also reliability.

what backcountry said "If you JUST want PG though, you can have a completely pull & go sled like ours, you may just have some small burbles you'll learn to ride around."

This is exactly accurate....I alway see guys tuning and tweaking to get that last little bit out of there turbo sled. I mess with my control box a bit here and there, I run my sled at 12 pounds boost and yes I can get more out of it...but that would take up precious riding time..Once you figure the control box out, just get it close and ride the damn thing!

Last edited:
This last summer i got my first turbo, a 2010 rtr 1000 from boondocker.. Although i wasn't the one who first tuned it, i can only say this.. I've owned stock sleds with more problems than this turbo sled i now own..I put the E module on and run 8lbs on pump gas. all i can say is holy chit!!!!I totally agree with the other guy, once you go turbo, there is no going back....I even got over 400 miles on the same belt... go figure..:face-icon-small-coo

If someone can't look at an afr gauge or an egt and see that they need to add fuel or take it away to make it run "safe" you should not own a turbo sled. Pretty easy to run the sled in the different light modes on the fuel box and see where your afr gauge is and then adjust up or down.

blk88 I know how you are feeling as i have the same situation as you (12 hrs to the big horns) My experience has been great very few hickups with almost 2000 boosted miles. I would suggest you find a good dealer to do the install that will save you alot of headaces.
If you are like me and just want a little more power and have some mechanical knowledge I would say go for it you will love it. I think most of the guys tuning all the time are just trying to make it perfect. It only takes me 5 min. to get it running real good going from 800ft up to 8000ft out west (this is my first mod sled and I am no tuner just a farmer ) could it run better ? probably but it has so much power compared to stock I dont care. Tune it on the rich side and ride the piss out of it!

Pull and go.....NO! but DAMN NEAR!

YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK TO STOCK!

What I've gathered is that install is key to the majority of it. I've thought about it for a while and if I ever turbo it I'd rather pay an experienced builder to install and tune it for your preferred elevation. Probly cost more up front but you'll be grinning more after you hop on. Just my thoughts...

The power commander DOES read boost and can be used on a turbo. I have the PCV settup on my M8 turbo and it seems to work good. Call Jeff at Dakota Performance and he can tell you more.

I would do the install myself regardless of the kit. I honestly can't see it being that difficult. Local dealers here are not familiar with 2 stroke turbo combinations for mountain setups, as I'm sure you can imagine. :)

Farmer, are you using the autotune under boost or did someone create and tweak a map for your combination?

yes yes yes

The key is set up tuned the ride it.

First do not just get a pump gas. Meaning just stock injectors the best is 4 or 3 you need extra injectors.

I have a lot of happy pull the rope and go customers.

I'm not interested in hauling race gas with me, it has to run on pump fuel that I can get anywhere I go.

What turbo system and EFI units are you selling/installing?

Premium Features

Back