• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does anyone still use a full face helmet?

W
Dec 5, 2007
I wear a full face. I'm sure people laugh at me. Really, I don't care much. Never fog, always warm. If it's hot I flip up the shield or take it off. I realize sledding is becoming a fashion show...who has the nicest bad-a@@ sled, the $500 Klim helmet and $1000 plus worth of snow gear (some of it pointless). Who pulls the biggest most expensive trailer with the biggest baddest truck. Even after sledding, everyone is sporting their brand... Advertising it on their clothing at the night spots. Dumb to me. I haven't been a sledder for very long, but I say screw that. I've made it for four years with $40 snow boots and pants from Wally-World (pants get wet..boots stay dry), a $50 Mossi jacket and helmet and a purple '97 Polaris 700 RMK. Laughed at...yeah. $30,000 plus richer...yeah. That being said...I am upgrading! I'm buying a newer sled (still 9 years old) and might buy some new(used) HMK gear. Point is, whatever you ride, drive or wear is irrelevant. You're there doing it. So next time you see somebody like me, don't judge.... or laugh. I'm just like you...only not as concerned with what people think... or maybe not as in debt ...or cash heavy.

Just so you know I ride a bad@$$ sled and have a ($375.00) Klim helmet and probably $5K in riding gear. None of it's financed. I keep a fair amount of money in the bank and judge no one. Having nice things does not mean you are in debt, cash poor, or judgemental;).

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Mountain riding = MX style: More O2, more vis, less weight

Trail riding = Full Face: Much more comfortable for trail days. Less wind, more warmth, heated shield.

I guess it depends on what you do more of. I have both so I can switch if I ever go back to trail riding with family/friends.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho

Scott USA 89Xi Turboflow LS.These run about 55.00 ton of foam is no skin exposed. They also have a nose shield that works awesome!!!!!!. I have three pair thats I use different colors on the lens depends on the conditions !!

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
Scott USA 89Xi Turboflow LS.These run about 55.00 ton of foam is no skin exposed. They also have a nose shield that works awesome!!!!!!. I have three pair thats I use different colors on the lens depends on the conditions !!
X2....best goggles I've ever had for sledding. great coverage, they fill in the helmet opening with the oversize foam leaving no place for cold air to get in and freeze your face. my favourite lens is the persimmon(?), kind of a pinkish/orange color that really brings out definition in the snow. the biggest issue for me with the open face mx style was the cold factor, and having to use a balaclava with a super small opening when the temps dropped to -20c and colder. these goggles have totally solved that.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
anyone using the AFX electric goggles? I had a heck of a time last year with fogging up issues and water in between the lenses freezing up. My goggles were probably crap also tho. what is a good pair of goggles that will last longer than a season but aren't $100? :)

I am selling 89XI Turbo goggles with quick Strap in the swapmeet.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89687

$60 a pair delivered in the USA $70 delivered to Canada.

Now that I have had my selfish plug let me add something for free.

Go out and buy a good brand of baby oil. Little 2 ounce bottle will last all season and coat 2 dollars. Get a zip lock bag put a squirt in it and put a lint free cloth for cleaning glasses to soak up the oil in the bag. Take the cloth and coat the lens with the oil. The oil will prevent the fogging. The oil will eventually wipe off and repeat. If you forget the babby oil buy some GOOD baby shampoo dilute it with water and do the same. But shampoo usually freezes. The good stuff is the brand that does not burn you eye when it gets into the eye.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

You can get the Scott 89XI TURBO Q/S QUICK STRAP BY ROKO WITH A FRAME COLOR BLUE AND LENS TINT ROSE AMPLIFIER

for much less than $55 in the swapmeet.

thank you for the plug. :D

Premium Features