• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do boost controllers raise min boost pressure?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
I want to lower the minimum boost pressure on my Push TM1000. When I bought my kit I asked Ken for a low boost Tial spring so I could run around 6 lbs and turn it up from there with my boost controller. The spring he gave me doesn't have any color on it, so I am not sure which spring it is, but even with my boost controller turned all the way down I am still getting 8-9 lbs. When I asked him if he gave me the wrong spring he told me that just having a boost controller raises your boost around 2 lbs over the wastegate spring pressure. Is this what everyone has found? Do I need to buy the 3.6 lb Tial spring to be able to run 6 lbs boost with a boost controller?

Not positive on your exsact kit but most kits have the waste gate actuator an you can loosen that rod off that goes from it to the waste gate an cheat your boost down a bit.

Thanks, but that only works on an internal wastegate Garrett. With an external Tial wastegate you have to change the spring to change boost level.

Looking at pics of Tial wastegate springs makes me wonder what spring Ken gave me. My spring doesn't look like them at all. Wound opposite, different number of coils, and absolutely no paint on it at all. Here are some pics of my current spring:

DSC01910.jpg DSC01911.jpg DSC01912.jpg

if your controlller is totally unwound it should be right at the boost your spring is setting it to. so go buy a 6# spring, and dont worry about what you ended up with.

that actually looks just like the 6# spring Josh bought last year and is sitting in the shop.. same weird dull brown color.

Any reason not to buy the 3.6 lb spring and just use the boost controller to turn it up from there? I assume there is a limit to how much you can raise the boost with a boost controller, but I will never run over 9-10 lbs.

There is a limit, but if you only plan to run up to 10lbs or so, you will be fine running the 3.6lbs spring and using the boost controller from there.

Premium Features

Back