• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY Intake...

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
I was going through my before season maintenance thinking of ways to modify the stock air box and get rid of that plume attached to the hood. :light:
This is what I came up with, tell me what you think...should have on snow testing by next weekend I will keep you updated.

I drilled a series if holes in the aluminum directly below the air box and glued pre-filter material directly to it, I then cut the bottom of the air box out and glued pre-filter on that as well. I removed the accordion boot from the air box and sealed it with a 5.5 inch frogskin. Under this portion of the bulkhead is the most protected place on the sled and I figure that it won't have a deep powder bog due to where it draws air and....no intake noise. I also think that the air box filling the gap in the front of the sled adds structural integrity as well as some cushion if you did smack a tree.

The third picture is looking through the top of the air box down at where it will be drawing air.

CIMG0649 [800x600].JPG CIMG0650 [800x600].JPG CIMG0651 [800x600].JPG

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I hope that works out for you. I have heard quite a few times that you need the velocity through the horn for the stock box to work well. But this might be something different. Keep us in the loop.

M
Oct 20, 2009
Lots of guys drill holes in the bulkhead when installing the BDX intake. Actually, it says to right in their instructions.

I might have kept the outside holes a little further away from the edge because that is the bottom flange of a beam in bending. The rest of the plate is only there for torsional stiffness and keeping everything lined up.

I think you will be fine but if it does fail, I predict a crack starting at the outer most hole.

Let us know how it works!

208_RMK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
Idaho
this is the best way to go :first::
intake.jpg

440 Sno Pro Intake

S
Nov 27, 2007
intake

I have a 05 800 snopro.The is a air intake in the bulkhead the same as he did.This was done by speedwerx(I guess) I think if snox sleds didnt fold and M wont either.JMO

U

Uller

Nov 26, 2007
Greater NW
It will freeze over and not work....

I have a timbersled intake kit and wanted to add a little air for it so, I used the small vent on the underside of the stock plenum and put it over (3) 1 1/4" holes just where you have done yours.

It seems to work ok until you get into powder then the area under the holes (around the steering components) gets filled with snow. The filter material freezes over and there isn't any air that passes through it....

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I chopped a big hole and riveted the rectangular screen that use to be on the stock plenum. I have bent one set of control arms and no problems with the bulkhead. The BDX Black Box instructions say to do it if you want. I'm not worried about it. Just make sure you silicone any cracks powder can sneak by or you will get snow ingestion which is a total pain in the but.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Bulkhead Strength

Most of the structural strength is on the vertical supports on the sides of the flat spot where I drilled. I left the middle strong in case I ever did hit something. I don't see hitting something hard enough to smash the bumper, smash the air box and crunch the bulkhead too but you never know. I feel that its strong enough and IMO this would be the best place to draw air from. If it ever does get clogged with snow it can always draw from the 5-inch hole in the top where the accordion boot used to be. I have already ordered several other frogskinz to vent that area so if it does draw through the top it will still be cool air. The best part is short of the holes in the bulkhead I can still return it to stock by blocking off the bottom of the air box and snapping the accordion and plume back in.

I guess we will see, I will keep you updated.

A
Sep 20, 2010
Lowell, MI
I think you'll be sucking hot underhood air into that intake ....especially at high RPM/low vehicle speed (like boondocking & hillclimbing). That's the primary reason for pulling outside air from up high near the headlights.

I'm curious to know how it works for you though.

Premium Features