• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Discussion on Titanium

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I put this in this section since I ride a cat, but I might post in the "General" area too to get more responses. With so much talk of Ti silencers, pipes, suspension components, bolts, etc. I thought I'd like to start a general discussion about what to look for when buying parts. If any of the part manufacturer's want to chime in I'd like to hear their thoughts on what they are using and why.

What sparked this idea for me was thinking about dirt bike/quad pipes. Ti used to be very exotic, and not necessarily the best choice for durability for non-racers looking for durability. It was even published in pipe buyers guides that while Ti was lighter and more expensive, it wasn't as durable as the cheaper stainless systems. I won't name any names, but just as an example, years ago company A was selling Ti silencers for around $350. Some of the other higher end companies were up to double that price (granted some were overseas so import tariffs played a part I'm sure). In my experience with A, the fit/finish wasn't quite as nice and over time they didn't seem to be as durable. As in get loose, rattle apart, or crack. Then as I became a bit more knowledgeable I learned there are different grades of Titanium, just like there is for any other metal. It seemed that some of the more expensive ones used a better grade and in my experience have been just as durable as the stock pipes.

Now looking at the recent offerings in the sled world, I've begun to wonder the same thing. I do have a Diamond S can on my sled and I've noticed that it is about the most expensive one out there now. I bought it because it was the only think like it available at the time, it got good reviews, and I knew it would work with my setup. Not saying it is any better than the others that are available now, but it has made me think about asking more questions when buying.

I've also read in past posts from Dan at Alternative Impact that Ti welds should have no random discoloration to the welds if they are done correctly. I know I have seen some Ti pipes welded that did have discoloration when it was done. Can this be polished or sand blasted away so the end user would never know?

What grades of Ti are available and what are each one best suited for? Are different types better for suspension arms, shafts, bolts, or exhaust systems?

Also, I've heard that it's more likely to break a Ti a-arm when you hit something rather than having it bend. Is there really any material science behind this, or just people that have seen one shear off and the same thing would have happened to a chromoly arm?

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
ill throw my short answer input on the welding aspect. the colors that you see are actually impurities coming to the surface and there are many factors on what the colors mean and how they affect the material. in a perfect world no one should even know that happens, every weld should be cleaned after therefore the end buyer wouldnt have a clue.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I do know that for a TI shaft you should be grade 5 or greater. A Lot of shafts out there are a 2. They are cheaper but you will strip splines.. I have first hand experience with this. Cheaper is not always the answer or is lighter..

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
When you wreck a titanium arm they shear in to. Really inconvenient with a sheared lower unless you can hose clamp it with a wrench or stick or something. Chromoly bends but holds together.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
When you wreck a titanium arm they shear in to. Really inconvenient with a sheared lower unless you can hose clamp it with a wrench or stick or something. Chromoly bends but holds together.

That all depends on the Particular grade that was used for construction.
The 6-4 or (grade 5) will certainly do just that if subjected to enough of a point load as it is not intended to be flexed / bent.

However the 3-2.5 or (Grade 9) will bend and flex quite a bit more before work hardening and failing.

Additionally the welding of Titanium is tricky at best to do it correctly. Everything needs to be very clean. Even the oil in your fingers will do harm in the weld area. That is why everything should be washed with Sodium Disulfide (Lye) before welding takes place. NO Abrasives can be used as they contaminate the TI. The Purge and welding argon should be 99.999% pure, the normal 99.5% that is readily available is what lets the heat colors show up. Any oxygen exposure to the TI at elevated temperatures destroys it. Both the front side and the back side of the weld puddle need to be purged with Argon and remain Oxygen free until the weld has cooled. That is why it is is made in Vacuum furnaces in the absence of Oxygen and why it costs so much.

There is plenty of info online for those inclined to look for it.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/article-library/titanium-101-best-tig-gta-welding-practices

I found this interesting. Check out the different colored welds and what is acceptable.

Just a side note, TiO2 is an extremely common compound in just about anything colored white. It's chemically stable, notice how white holds up to sunlight well. That means it's a favorable state for Ti to exist in, thus the extra care required when welding Ti to avoid it's formation (contaminated weld).

Also, lye is a somewhat general term, but usually refers to sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide (strong bases). Dissolving sodium sulfide (Na2S) in water will yield a strongly basic solution too, for the same effect.

Is it acceptable when welding Ti tubing to put an argon purge line running through the ID of the tube? I had no idea people used gloveboxes (vacuum chambers) for welding Ti. Synthetic chemists use those when working with air sensitive materials too.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Long answer made short we never had any suspension parts made of ti that survived a full season without having some issues ( mostly cracked welds)
CromeMolly is way superior in its flex characteristics and most Shops can do a god job in producing Quality product with it. Very few can with TI

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Loaded question. Reminds me of my first internship when the engineering manager asked me "which is stronger, Titanium or steel?" I said steel...he said I was wrong. Because it depends.

Many different alloys for Ti and steel and there are a large of factors that influence their mechanical performance.

Yes, Ti can be used in high impact applications and survive just fine (jet engine turbines, for example). It can be used in high strength as well.

All depends on what alloy you are using and how you are using it.

I think it's the most amazing material that exists based on how strong and light it is. Is it the lightest? No. Is it the strongest? Depends...but typically steel is stronger. But strength to weight...just about impossible to beat.

IMO the ideal material for a snowmobile.

Premium Features