• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dealer told me today that all snowchecks are being shipping mid December

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
This mod will not make it a "trail sled".
I will be doing what I feel is appropriate for the type of riding I do.
It WILL plant the ski’s.
If that’s what you want? Great!

But……..
Maybe try riding it first with full suspension travel?

For reference.
A 165 khaos out of the box has less wheelie tendency than a 155 pro out of the box.

Last edited:
R
Sep 30, 2021
Washington
It WILL plant the ski’s.
If that’s what you want? Great!

But……..
Maybe try riding it first with full suspension travel?

For reference.
A 165 khaos out of the box has less wheelie tendency than a 155 pro out of the box.
The Pro has a shorter limiter strap and shorter FTS which keep the skis more firmly planted for better control especially in the steeps. The rail angle on the Khaos is also different. By shortening the limiter strap he is most likely trying to gain some of the playfulness of a Khaos as well as the gain the hi/lo shock package and still have a more controllable sled.

I'm confused by your statement that the khaos has less wheelie tendency than a pro?

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Another thing to consider is that inflation has been increasing at a rapid rate, you might be spending $1500 more for the exact same sled next yr... Inflation has went up 6% since we locked our prices in this spring, I expect it to only keep going higher.
Yep, I'll take my 6% discount and wait. Meanwhile I'm pulling the 2017 out and going riding! Nice thing is now I don't really give a sh*t if I bang it up a bit!! Early season riding, ya know.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The Pro has a shorter limiter strap and shorter FTS which keep the skis more firmly planted for better control especially in the steeps. The rail angle on the Khaos is also different. By shortening the limiter strap he is most likely trying to gain some of the playfulness of a Khaos as well as the gain the hi/lo shock package and still have a more controllable sled.

I'm confused by your statement that the khaos has less wheelie tendency than a pro?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but shortening the limiter and playfulness don't go in the same sentence. Planted and less travel and losing some of what holds you on the hill come to mind. My wife had a 21 165 kaos. Out of control and wheelie monster don't go in the same sentence with it. You guys do what you want

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

2 different track lengths……….

And yes I understand how a limiter strap works……

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Last year my bud had his dealer do the adjustment on the strap from "Khaos" to "RMK", as he liked his RMK sleds so much. He put it back to the Khaos hole after riding it. It was a 165.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Last year my bud had his dealer do the adjustment on the strap from "Khaos" to "RMK", as he liked his RMK sleds so much. He put it back to the Khaos hole after riding it. It was a 165.

I am kinda the same in that i liked the feel of the 163" RMK and hope to duplicate that (or make it better). At least with doing the limiter strap mod, that will allow the opportunity to ride it both ways, and see what way works best in the terrain we ride in.

One little problem . . . . WE NEED SNOW!!!

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I don't understand why you guys ordered khaos sleds if you want to have them ride like a pro?
By sucking the limiter strap up you are losing travel on the front torque arm. If you want less wheelie action tighten the rear track spring, and loosen the front track spring that way you still get full travel.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I've been using a 165 Khaos, under a 155 tunnel, and agree it's fairly planted and stable compared to the Khaos 155s I've ridden. But shock settings do a lot, and the 165 Khaos can be made playful enough with just a few adjustments. Likewise, the 155 Khaos can be made more planted. Personally, I would leave the limiter strap in the extended position, and use clickers and preload to meet my needs. I'd ride either track length and be happy. I'm curious about the 146 Khaos for getting rowdy, but have no interest in a 174 even if the Khaos rails become available in that length.

C
Dec 14, 2020
I don't understand why you guys ordered khaos sleds if you want to have them ride like a pro?
By sucking the limiter strap up you are losing travel on the front torque arm. If you want less wheelie action tighten the rear track spring, and loosen the front track spring that way you still get full travel.

That would be my go-to.

It's a lot easier to make a pre-load adjustment, than deal with the strap on the hill. It has blown me away at how much a front and rear track shock pre-load adjustment changes the sled attitude. I adjust for the snow conditions. Usually more front pre-load when the snow is thin to make it more playful, and back it off as the winter progresses and we have good storms. Back to playful in the spring on the hard-pack. Of course, riding a 163 I'm jealous of the 155 guys on the firmer snow days, but that traction does help in the deep days during the big storms.

Of course, the day I blew the seals out (nitrogen and oil) of my front track shock were comical. Couldn't get any ski lift to save my life, but man would it climb on top of the snow.

I've been using a 165 Khaos, under a 155 tunnel, and agree it's fairly planted and stable compared to the Khaos 155s I've ridden. But shock settings do a lot, and the 165 Khaos can be made playful enough with just a few adjustments. Likewise, the 155 Khaos can be made more planted. Personally, I would leave the limiter strap in the extended position, and use clickers and preload to meet my needs. I'd ride either track length and be happy. I'm curious about the 146 Khaos for getting rowdy, but have no interest in a 174 even if the Khaos rails become available in that length.

I think if you're the guy who rides all winter through varying snow and terrain, you could use a 146 or 155 on the better snow, and have a 174 for the deep loose days. The 174 turbo is a beast at climbing, but it sure sucks to turn if you're on set-up snow. Looser snow the traction becomes more important along with being easier to move it around as you're floating in it rather than riding on top.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I went with the Khaos because it came with the hi/low clicker shocks, and i wanted those rather than the shocks that came on the RMK. These shocks, with a re-valve from Carls is a pretty sweet ride! Plus, knowing i could make some minor adjustments (preload adj. front & rear, 210# R/T spring, limiter strap), to make the sled more planted for the deep snow we like to ride in, is the goal. Once we get some good snow, i can get 'er dialed in.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I am kinda the same in that i liked the feel of the 163" RMK and hope to duplicate that (or make it better). At least with doing the limiter strap mod, that will allow the opportunity to ride it both ways, and see what way works best in the terrain we ride in.

One little problem . . . . WE NEED SNOW!!!
With the 165 all you need to do is soften the front skid shock a bit and tighten the rear. It will then be more planted like the RMK. Easy-Peasy.

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
You guys are all going the wrong way. I was sad I couldn’t order a 165 khaos boost so I got the pro and im gonna “khaos” it.

Love my 21 khaos 165 ! Very much in control and responsive and playful all at once.

That being said every time i jump
On the 155 khaos I kinda wish I had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features