• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Convert 154 to 146 Parts

M

McTwist700

So I am posting in the Gen 4 section, but I have a 23 Summit X turbo 154 spring checked. The skid seems to share geometry across the track lengths, except for the 175, for both models in their respective years.

I want to know if converting from a 154 to a 146 is as simple as rails, track, and drivers (plus maybe gearing). I looked at the parts breakdown for both skids, and I don't see any differences in part numbers for major components.

I want to switch the skid to a 146 for spring riding. I have a 2017 165 right now, but even my friends on 154's find they get too much traction in the spring and can never keep the sled WOT for too long without gaining way too much ground speed. I want to make spring riding funner because I don't really enjoy it right now. The 154 will be an improvement, but I still think there will be more traction than I need.

I don't care about the time aspect to swap as it would be twice in a year, I just want to know if it is as simple as it seems. Bolt on 146 rails and slap in a driveshaft with proper drivers and track.

i'd add an adjustable limiter strap to your 165 to improve the agility. it's not a night and day difference but it is noticeable. don't know if a '23 adjustable strap which has even more range would fit on your 165 since 90% of the new skids have been changed.

i'd add an adjustable limiter strap to your 165 to improve the agility. it's not a night and day difference but it is noticeable. don't know if a '23 adjustable strap which has even more range would fit on your 165 since 90% of the new skids have been changed.
Limiter is at 5 all the time and I have aftermarket shocks. My preload is set properly and weight transfer is controlled by compression clickers and rebound. I have spent a lot of time learning sled suspension setup, and I am very happy with my 165 setup for maneuverability, but we don't get the snow conditions to make it shine over a 154 very often. I'm in the Yukon BTW.

I am going down in track length because my skill has improved and I was very impressed this year how well the 22 turbo freeride 154's I was riding with got anywhere I could go or could trench for days and keep moving. The issue I have is with so much track, and with the 23, the power of the turbo, you build too much ground speed in the spring here. I want to be able to pin it and get more track speed without building ground speed as quickly because picking around at part throttle is not as fun as wot haha.

I could be completely wrong in my thinking here, but I see a 146 as a great spring riding length for our conditions. And who knows, maybe with the skid redesign and the 34" front end, I find that I don't want to bump down for spring riding.

What’s up. Just did the same to my 22 154 turbo. u can re use shocks you’ll need rails and axle from ice age u can do offset axle with larger wheel kit or just axle we’ll need new drive shaft for 2.8/6 pitch verse’s 3 inch different gearing in chain case and call ibackshift, Joe and he will set you up with same setup for my sled.
Ice age: 1650740499729.jpeg

What’s up. Just did the same to my 22 154 turbo. u can re use shocks you’ll need rails and axle from ice age u can do offset axle with larger wheel kit or just axle we’ll need new drive shaft for 2.8/6 pitch verse’s 3 inch different gearing in chain case and call ibackshift, Joe and he will set you up with same setup for my sled.
Ice age: View attachment 387846

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Why can't the original rear axle be used? Can I get the stock 146 rails or do I need to go aftermarket?

How did you like your turbo as a 146? Worth the money to convert back and forth? What track and lug size did you go with?

Premium Features

Back