• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch recall

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Info from the comments. A shield is BS compared to the clutch recall that should have been!

FB_IMG_1706556952568.jpg
FB_IMG_1706556964892.jpg

I don't feel like this is going to help in the clutch cooling department either.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I could only imagine, with what we have seen personally from the havoc, that the shield has potential of becoming shrapnel- wonder about the testing procedures?
I don 't think there is a clutch from Cat that would be a safe replacement. Something is causing the issues- but its a hit and miss concern for us consumers currently.

From what I have seen on pre orders on the 858, the clutch concern is not paramount over HP and weight numbers.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I personally think it is the outer cover bottoming out before the clutch can get to full shift. Then when running wide open down the trail or with the track off the ground the moveable sheave is trying to rip itself apart containing the force from the weights. Would need a re-designed movable sheave that can handle those forces. At least with the Team roller. Haven't looked at the Adapt primary close enough to see if it has similar issues.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Got a recall letter today pertaining to this. All it stated was that they would contact me when parts are available and in the meantime it says to examine the clutch for damage/cracks every couple hundred miles and sent a page of pictures of cracked clutches for reference. Already pulled my team off at 1100 miles for a cracked sheave.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I run the indy specialties cover. It will never bottom out. I made this choice due to the same thought as others. Cover bottoms out and start stressing the moveable sheave.

I also quit going 85 down the trail.
Save the track and the clutch.......?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I don’t go much over 35 or 40 down the trail, but the day mine cracked I had done a bunch of consecutive up hill drag races in 4-5” fresh on hard pack cuz some dude on an 850 doo couldn’t accept defeat by a little 800. The hill was somewhat steep so I highly doubt mine was shifting out to full shift, but obviously the events that day added some sort of stress to the moveable sheave. I was thinking maybe it got heat soaked or something. I’m usually pretty good about letting it cool down after a hard pull or two but was on a roll that day and got a bit over zealous. I know it wasn’t cracked prior to that ride as I had started making it a habit to look it over after every ride once I started seeing blown up ones all over the interweb.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I could only imagine, with what we have seen personally from the havoc, that the shield has potential of becoming shrapnel- wonder about the testing procedures?
I don 't think there is a clutch from Cat that would be a safe replacement. Something is causing the issues- but its a hit and miss concern for us consumers currently.

From what I have seen on pre orders on the 858, the clutch concern is not paramount over HP and weight numbers.
The recall is for Team clutches , I thought the Catalyst was using the Adapt clutch? What are you saying that the Adapt clutches are blowing up or they are putting Team clutches on the 858?
The recall is nothing more than a CYA move.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The recall is for Team clutches , I thought the Catalyst was using the Adapt clutch? What are you saying that the Adapt clutches are blowing up or they are putting Team clutches on the 858?
The recall is nothing more than a CYA move.
Adapt clutches are falling apart at the same rate, but they don't seem to have the same violent explosion.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Adapt clutches are falling apart at the same rate, but they don't seem to have the same violent explosion.

What is the rate that they are falling apart at? What is exactly happening? My dealer hasn't seen any Adapt issues like that? There has been some worn rollers but that's about it. I am trying to understand what is actually happening.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
My adapt blew on a super sticky mashed potato day. Lots of wide open but doubt I was getting full shift out as warm and sticky as it was out. I think mine was from heat
Was like pulling teeth to get it warrantied and took 11.5 months
Local dealer left chunks in the bellypan that shot blasted both new clutch faces on the first ride on the sther side of Wyoming.
Dealer blamed me and wouldn't stand behind it
Bought a new adapt and secondary out of pocket and got it in two days from country cat.
Bet I got a hundred miles on these and the roller bearing is already toast
Fanntastic

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
What actually happened to the first one? The last one failing in 100 miles is a part or assembly error. You have had a tough go with the adapt for sure.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I've seen a lot of broken covers like this. Also seen them destroyed like the Team.
32436cea9896d66a93b97678ccb11280.jpg

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK

Engagement 2850 give or take, lets see your 160 horse factory clutch do that?

Pay attention to how quick the rev is

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Well glad I decided to put speedwerx bushings in my first set of adapt rollers for back ups. Got bored again so decided to swap them in and found this. This was the second set of rollers for this clutch and only had about 300 miles on them. First set lost a bushing completely by 600ish miles, barely caught it before it toasted a weight. So I’m on the 3rd set of roller bushings in around 900 miles. Hopefully the speedwerx bushings last longer. Also threw a bdx billet cover on about 70 miles ago so hopefully that prevents cover cracking like mentioned above.

IMG_2241.jpeg

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
I wonder if early adapt clutches had some different covers and parts. My 23 mountain cat is not under the recall, and I have over 1000 miles on it with no clutch issues at all. Mine does not have that guard, either

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I wonder if early adapt clutches had some different covers and parts. My 23 mountain cat is not under the recall, and I have over 1000 miles on it with no clutch issues at all. Mine does not have that guard, either
Yes, different models take different adapt clutch, price is noticeable different for some reason also. The new M6 is 720.00 as to the new Riot is 734.00 that is out of stock to the new 7000 4 stroke that is 389.00

Premium Features