• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

yee haa boys another POLARIS RECALL

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
30 burst tanks, 16 caught fire, one person suffered 2nd degree burns. This is the sum total of this entire recall. They catch fire when you start them after sitting all summer in a hot trailer with very little gas in the tank and no stabilizer leading to a build up of vapors. The fuel pump causes a bit of static discharge which ignites the vapors. I can't find the CPSC data sheet on it again but I read it when the notice first came out and this was my conclusion from reading it. Run fresh gas and don't store your sled for any length of time without filling up the tank. I feel like this could have been resolved with a warning sticker.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Interesting. If it's a long sit, empty tank situation causing the problem, then the recommendation should just be "Always fill tank before summer or long-term storage," and quit telling people to run inferior gas. I thought it was something happening while fueling a sled, maybe because of experience in airplanes (you're required to attach a grounding wire). I've always stored with the tank full and fuel stabilizer; on top of that, I'm reversing my old practice, and going to drain and refill before the first ride of the season. I had a tank turn yellow a while back, so I'm not taking a chance. In addition to the potential ignition source, storing with the tank full is the best practice because it reduces the potential for condensation.

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
they have anti static agents for rc jet planes and for like refinery equipment i dont know if there is any for gasoline though. i got bored of looking after a few minutes

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Interesting. If it's a long sit, empty tank situation causing the problem, then the recommendation should just be "Always fill tank before summer or long-term storage," and quit telling people to run inferior gas. I thought it was something happening while fueling a sled, maybe because of experience in airplanes (you're required to attach a grounding wire). I've always stored with the tank full and fuel stabilizer; on top of that, I'm reversing my old practice, and going to drain and refill before the first ride of the season. I had a tank turn yellow a while back, so I'm not taking a chance. In addition to the potential ignition source, storing with the tank full is the best practice because it reduces the potential for condensation.
Exactly I top off everything that needs to be winterized/ summerize before it goes to hibernate.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
30 burst tanks, 16 caught fire, one person suffered 2nd degree burns. This is the sum total of this entire recall. They catch fire when you start them after sitting all summer in a hot trailer with very little gas in the tank and no stabilizer leading to a build up of vapors. The fuel pump causes a bit of static discharge which ignites the vapors. I can't find the CPSC data sheet on it again but I read it when the notice first came out and this was my conclusion from reading it. Run fresh gas and don't store your sled for any length of time without filling up the tank. I feel like this could have been resolved with a warning sticker.
One exploded and burned at my dealership.

1/3 full, sitting all summer, went to start in 20 degrees.

Whoosh!

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I have insider information and they sent me this video that Polaris is going to be posting publicly as to what they want us to be doing to our fuel now before we put it in our sleds….

Premium Features