• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch bolt stuck in primary help

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
I have a 98 600 xc I am trying to pull the primary clutch off. I have loosened the bolt that holds the clutch on the crank but the darn bolt will not come out of the clutch. It gets stuck about 2/3rds of the way out. It acts almost as thought I hit another set of threads but I've never had that problem with any other poo clutch I've pulled. Suggestions please

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Any chance that the crank has had a heli coil installed at some point in its life? I would try backing the bolt out a bit and then lubing the heck out of it with pb blaster......then working it back and forth and see if it loosens up....Can't tell you if it will work but it can't hurt to try.....

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Did you try winding out from where it gets caught? Seems i can remember a few models were this way for a few model years...but cant remember for sure...

O

oscar680

Jan 29, 2010
Alberta
If I recall some of the older sleds used an aluminum sleeve on the outside of primary clutch bolt,

the ID of the aluminum sleeve is a little smaller than the threads on the bolt.

sometimes the sleeve can get seized inside the clutch,usually some penetrating oil and a little pry on the bolt head will break it loose.

If the sleeve is really jammed up you can prob unthread the bolt thru the sleeve then give it a tap to break it loose (your puller should make the perfect sized tapper for the job)

Hope this helps

W

w browning

Mar 21, 2009
It does have another set of threads, when you start to pull it out it has to be threaded out of the second or outer set. It also takes a different puller than older or newer models. Pat

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Bolt

I've tried PB blaster pen oil, no it does not have a heilcoil. I've gotten the thing out of the crank but it will not come out of the clutch. I thought of a bushing seize but I couldn't remember if this particular bolt and sled used one. I thought also about a second set of threads in the clutch and yes that is kind of what it feels like but my 97 does not have this problem. Once the bolt is loose from the crank it simply slides out. As for having the correct puller yes I have one but unless I get the bolt out I won't be able to use it. I,ve tired to turn the bolt until it hits the stopping point and then keep working it back an forth to clear out the threads if there were any. No luck so far on that either. The clutch needs rebuilt and if I can't get it off I won't be able to do that. Other suggestions are welcome cause I'm stumped.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Bolt

Nope I've been working on it for about a week now. I will keep backing the bolt in and out on that second set of threads on the clutch. I've made a little headway but I'm still a long way from getting it out I've tried PB blaster to try and clean those threads by tilting my sled on it's side and letting the stuff dribble down around the bolt. I've also tried a pretty strong carb cleaner. I really need to get this clutch off as it is in pretty bad shape. I'm worried if it put to much force on that darn bolt I'll snap it off then I'll be really screwed. I did go over to a friends house, he had a primary from a 98 and as you said there is a second set of threads. His were also pretty gummed up but since it was already off we were able to get his clutch bolt through after some cleaning. Any more ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Just keep working the bolt in and out, gently but with authority, if that makes sense. It should come out after some work and stubornness.

W

w browning

Mar 21, 2009
If you have access to a good air gun you could probably get it out by running it in and out, I've taken some pretty screwed up bolts out of heavy equipment that way. Worst case scenario you ruin the threads on the bolt or the clutch. Sounds like the clutch is already ruined and more than likely the bolt is shot too. If you do get the bolt out and screw the threads up in the clutch you can probably clean them up with a tap. If their totally shot you can drill it out one size and tap it to a larger size fill it with oil and hydraulic it by screwing a bolt in against the oil. Sled has to be tipped up on it's side to allow you to pour oil in the clutch and start the bolt. I took one out last week that I did this on. I had to tighten it as tight as I could get it with a 1/2" breaker bar and then added a little heat to the surface where the belt runs when I put the torch on it popped off and shot half across the shop.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Bolt

I've tried the air gun without any success. I'm working on this sled for a friend and now I see why. Before I go more primal with it I need him to commit to it. If it were me I'd either of had the bolt broke off or had this clutch cut off with a torch. In my view the clutch is shot. This sled is for his kids and he doesn't want to spend any money on it. He is tight on funds. I may be able to clean up with a dremal where the weights wore into the spider and then shim them back to center. I will not be able to replace the spring though. 12yr olds probable won't know the difference. If you have any more ideas throw them out there and thanks.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
You may have tried this but if you have a torch try heating it where the inner threads are. You probably would have to get it pretty hot but maybe it would expand enough to allow the bolt to back through those threads.

Another idea is sort of a variation on the traditional hydraulic method. Tip the sled on it's side, pull the clutch bolt up to the inner threads but not into them. Fill the clutch cavity with oil then back the bolt up as far as it will go into the inner threads and then heat the clutch with your torch. If it seals good enough maybe it would hydraulic the clutch off the crank. I'm thinking oil might be better than water just because it is thicker and may seal better. On the other hand water would turn to steam which may exert more pressure.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
bolt

I've tried a variation of the hydraulic method but without being able tape or seal the threads it doesn't work. Also getting enough liquid t there is almost impossible since the bolt is taking up the hole. As for heat, yep that is where I want to go next and yes I do worry about the crank seal. My plan was to focus the heat pretty much under the spider area where I believe those clutch threads are. I just need a commitment from the friend who owns the sled. I have made headway working it back and forth but it has been a long slog. I've probably gotten3/4in so far, I believe those threads in the cutch cover about 1.5inches so I'm about half there. If someone has one of those years of clutches could you please look and see exactly how much thread there is in there.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Final Update on Bolt

Well after 3 weeks of working on this bolt I finally got it out. A lot of patience and a lot of turning the bolt back and forth. I did not use heat just PB blaster, carb cleaner and a lot of turning back and forth. Funny thing once I got the bolt out and put the puller in it didn't take me 3 minutes to pop the clutch off the crank...go figure. Anyway thanks for all the suggestion and I hope no one has to go through that like the way I did...

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Very strange problem indeed. I am surprised the threads in the clutch were good enough to use the puller in them or was it the threads on the bolt itself that were chewed up?

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Threads

Neither, the clutch bolt threads were fine and the clutch threads were fine. I think those threads were just so loaded up with belt dust, oil, general gunk that when I tried to unthread the bolt through the clutch it simply was binding up against the gunk. Working the bolt back and forth along with the cleaning stuff I squirted down the bolt slowly broke it down and I was able after a lot of threading in and out was finally able to get through the treads. All I know is if anyone owns one of these older sleds I would recommend at least once per year simply taking the bolt out cleaning the threads then retorquing the bolt back down. My dad has a 97 700 and I'm not looking forward to that one either.

Premium Features