• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check out what I'm building for my wife and daughters

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
WOW Scott! Lookin good! dont ya love it when you think a project is going to be simple and alot cheaper than you expected and then...WAMO! Prices shoot throught the roof and the anger meter gets peged out! lol i know how ya feel! our house was built i 1903 and we have(had) hardwood floors under the carpet in our dining room so my mom decides it would be an easy job to do and after my dad and i got the carpet torn out we started pulling up the padding stuff and it wouldnt pull up! the dirty *&**&& who put the carpet in glued the sh*& to the floor! so we had to scrape and pull every last bit off and then sand all the glue off and then get the old finish off! to make a long story short a project that we thought would take a day of two took a flipin week of sanding! then my mom started talking about tearing out the roof to get to the pressed tin roof that she heard was there....we put an end to that idea! lol here is a cold one for all the hard work ;beer:

O
Jan 14, 2008
MN
you definitly got some riding point for that.. I must have missed some of the pics I didn't see any of your wife or daughter sanding..?? :D Looks good

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
Back in late June, they did a quote for me. 940 for two 6x7 sheets and J-channel, and labor included, which I thought was outrageous for one guy and an assistant kid who had his hands in his pockets half the time.
Well, they said they'd do it for $940. Nobody in town would beat their price, so I had to buck up and go with it.

2 sheets of glass. 6'x7' each. $245 each.

They lost the work order twice. Each time I called back, the guy had to make a new work order.

They were supposed to measure for the electrical outlet on two different scheduled occations before July 1 (which I provided the measurements over the phone twice). They were supposed to deliver July 8.

They show July 8th to measure. NOT install.

Guess when they installed..........last week.

And they were there for about 1 hour total. $450 bucks to glue it to the wall with caulking guns. Didn't even use a J-channel like they told me in the quote over the phone. The installer said they prefer not to use it. WTF did they guy in the office tell me they PREFER to use J-channel then? I thought that with glass this size, J-channel was NECCESSARY! WTF!!!

During the hour they were there, they drove over the yard instead of following the paved driveway around back.

They didn't take their shoes off at the door, which was a room away from the dance studio. I had to re-sand the entire ***gin floor. I can imagine the dude not taking his shoes off though..he couldn't see his feet. Probably forgot they were still on.

Then they handed me a bill for 200 more than the quote and said "Oh, there was a glass surcharge on July 1."

Huh?

I called the desk dude and explained that I'd pay the $940, as per "We'll do it for $940" and that they were supposed to have this job done July 8th". Nobody ever mentioned glass surcharges at any time during the past month of mis-dealings.

I am thankful that he atleast reluctantly honored the quote.

I still had to fill with dirt and re-sead tire ruts in my yard and re-sand the whole floor AGAIN.

If anyone uses "Montana Glass" in Missoula, I hope you have a better experience than I did.

Yeah, you got hosed, and they definately should have j channel and safety backing on them. sad, but there is a lot of glass shops like that out there

capnkirk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2010
Appleton, WI
Having never seen this thread before, and being a veteran Woodsmith myself, I would like to say nice job to you Scott. I'm sure your wife and daughter were very happy.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
:face-icon-small-sho
Thought I was going to read something about the mirrors falling off the wall in the middle of the night, you grabbing a firearm & ....oh, nevermind. Nice job BTW.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Whoa… who hauled this one out of the archive? I noticed some of the names of those posting in this thread and thought they all came out of hiding till I noticed the thread started back in 2008! :eek:

Nice work Scott! How about some "today" pics?

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Whoa… who hauled this one out of the archive? I noticed some of the names of those posting in this thread and thought they all came out of hiding till I noticed the thread started back in 2008! :eek:

Nice work Scott! How about some "today" pics?

Is it DONE YET?? Talk about a 5 year project.................:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features