• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat to begin manufacturing snowmobile engines

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Poo is not moving to Mexico, there are moving the snowmobile motor plant to MN, so that all the Snowmobile related stuff will be made there.

Polaris has stated that some of the production parts on the snowmobile and victory line will be made in Mexico and assembled in the U.S at their existing facilities.
It's just a matter of time until the entire parts supply will come out of Mexico. Once they get rolling, it will be a no brainer for them. Pay somebody $35k a year in the U.S. or pay somebody $20 a day in Mexico.

I've got a superduty ford that was made in Mexico, if I remember right they were either made in Canada or Mexico. Seems the the ones that came from the south were better assembled, and had better parts such as the battery cables, glass, and just a tighter truck. Now you have your choice of a Canadian ski doo, or a Mexican Polaris.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I own a cat because of the power I get for the money, Who ever has the best package is what I'll buy. But I have always been a huge suzuki fan and have always seen the most power from them. Not sure its a good idea

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
We call it jun-uary around here, fresh snow on the pass this morning.

A couple shots I took a few hours ago above my house. (still low altitude)

29203_1305653323485_1295088056_30720992_3284650_n.jpg

29203_1305653523490_1295088056_30720996_4849536_n.jpg

29203_1305667243833_1295088056_30721019_3826987_n.jpg

Going riding next weekend.

Last edited:
J

jdm1985

May 13, 2009
Ambrose ND
I hope that cat knows what their doin on this one, suzuki has made a good engine for them for a long time. i put 5000 miles on my 02 zr 500 before it got new pistons, ran the crap out of it every time i rode it, never a problem. i dont mind hearing that it will support the us economy but it is a long time from now, maybe the economy will be better by then who knows. i dont see why they have to change something that works so well already but i guess that seems to be the thing to do these days. Just my 10 cents.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Yep I did not say what they was moving to Mexico just that they were moving to Mexico.It could have been Corporate offices the point was bringing more jobs to USA.

They are moving components of the ATV/UTV production to Mexico.... Kind of like Rotax did a few years ago with their engine production for the CanAm products.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Aaron,

Here you go.
http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=07C1

Don't get me wrong, I'm about as patriotic as a person can be to America, but show me one American engine manufacturer that can build an engine to run around a race track all day long for days at 10-12,000 rpm's like all the superbikes do. Let's face it, it is what it is. And if there was one, the engine alone would cost $15,000 by itself because the union would be paying the guy $40/hr to build it, which in the end result we pay for. Let's not turn this into a "political patriotism" thread. It's reality!

Aaron

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
OK... an exotic bike that isn't even made in production?

That's not really any kind of proof to me Eric. That company is right up the road from me here in Oregon and is hardly a proven contender in the superbike racing world, let alone having the proven reliability of the Japanese engineering that this thread is discussing. You have to much time on your hands.........Oh the instantaneous knowledge gratification with Google and the internet these days! Good try though....;)

Aaron

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I feel I support Mexico enough with my taxes, insurance, ect... I doubt I will support them that much more by getting a Polaris snowmobile with more parts coming from there.

Now to the West across the Pacific they haven't been free loading and digging into my pocket book every payday like our friends to the south.

So IMO, I will buy things from Japan, Canada, USA. But China, Mexico, Pakistan, Indonesia, etc. They are off my list.

For anyone to expect a lower price tag on a new sled because the motor building is moved to the USA is nuts. Bottom line AC needs to stay in business and increase profit margin. So if the price is the same, they now put 40+ people to work provide benefits that is good enough for me.

The USA was the industrial leader for years. Because we had the best engineers, workers, etc. Now all we think about is saving trees, writing software packages, and tourism. I hate to tell ya folks. But people are going to have to work for a living some day. And if we don't want to do it they can find lots of children and scab labor in other countries to get it done!

Thunder

Last edited:

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
The USA was the industrial leader for years. Because we had the best engineers, workers, etc. Now all we think about is saving trees, writing software packages, and tourism. I hate to tell ya folks. But people are going to have to work for a living some day. And if we don't want to do it they can find lots of children and scab labor in other countries to get it done!

Thunder

Agreed!

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
September 2009 SnoTech Magazine, Page 16 left hand column:

..."I wasn't looking to make [atv] engines. It's a fairly high level of skill required," Towmey said, but Suzuki was reluctant to do the customization he wanted. By building Arctic Cat engines close to home, he said, he doesn't have to spend the time and money transporting them back to the United States for assembly, and he can adjust his production plans more rapidly.

It's ALL about the bottom line in this economy. They don't have to spend money importing/exporting the engines and paying any extra taxes, freight, etc...Anyone who thinks they're going to see a lower priced ATV/sled is absolutely crazy. Fact of the matter is, Cat is struggling, like millions of other people and companies. They're trying to stay alive and this is a cost savings plan to reduce overhead and keep them afloat. On the upside, they create more jobs which I am all for. Hopefully they can put 40-50 unemployed Americans back to work.

What is interesting though, if you read between the lines "I wasn't looking to make [atv] engines. It's a fairly high level of skill required," he's kind of implying that they didn't/don't have the skilled employees required to do the engines...but that they're going to make it work...to save money and keep the company alive.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
I would agree that it does take a fairly skilled person to assemble an engine as that is my biz.....but it aint rocket science. the AC engine plant requires very little input from an employee as the entire operation is automated.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Comment by Twomey is BS. He does want, and needs, to make motors. They recognize the motor is the most complex, most regulated, single highest cost, longest leadtime, largest R&D component, and ACAT has a competitive dis-advantage once they hit a critical mass volume. They've done well considering the circumstances, but now have hit the wall. Y, Doo, and P all make the all/majority of their own motors. They've been trying to break the noose for more than a decade.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Comment by Twomey is BS. He does want, and needs, to make motors. They recognize the motor is the most complex, most regulated, single highest cost, longest leadtime, largest R&D component, and ACAT has a competitive dis-advantage once they hit a critical mass volume. They've done well considering the circumstances, but now have hit the wall. Y, Doo, and P all make the all/majority of their own motors. They've been trying to break the noose for more than a decade.

If you are calling the Suzuki motor a noose, hang'em high! Cuz the motor is largely what makes Cat stand out from the others!

The three 2 stroke sleds are so very close in performance on the mountain that the reliability from the kick azz motor is why guys are coming over to Cat and a large factor in my future buying decisions.

Sure Poo and Doo make their own motors! How do they stack up to the Suzuki motor? From what I see, NOT VERY GOOD!

Premium Features