• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP GO App clarification

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
If you stick with the BRP Go to only track people you are correct. This is were I think it is somewhat miss understood. The BRP Go map is suppose to work with the GPS from your phone and you do not need cell service. Just like Avenza, with a Georeferenced PDF you can be in airplane mode and the phone still tracks your location when out of cell service. The Genius App that is compatible with BRP GO has free downloadable maps for offline and the Rever app that is compatible with BRP GO has free tracking of your buddy but not sure if it works out of cell service for tracking your buddy and they offer offline maps with a subscription. I believe people are just throwing in the towel because they think the entire BRP Go platform needs cell service to work and in reality it does not. There are out of cell service options that work with BRP Go.

Do you have 1st had experience with this and it actually works???

D
Dec 22, 2018
You can already download BRP GO app to your phone, and just by registering anyone can use that. Already now you can track you buddies who also use the app. We testet it this spring and it works. Still under development but I bet its gonna get even better trough time.

I ordered my new expert with 10,25" screen, so I can see my friends on the screen even though they dont have the screen just the app on the phone.

Its 2022, and people are complaining you need a smart phone? Somebody living on stone age still?

As seen with cars, built in media systems get outdated really fast. So its just wise to have phone integration to keep up the with apps years to come.

I just wish there is a chance to install proper topograhic maps for the new gauge. At least here in Europe, Polaris 7s maps are really simple and you still need to use a proper map app on your phone to navigate.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
You can already download BRP GO app to your phone, and just by registering anyone can use that. Already now you can track you buddies who also use the app. We testet it this spring and it works. Still under development but I bet its gonna get even better trough time.

I ordered my new expert with 10,25" screen, so I can see my friends on the screen even though they dont have the screen just the app on the phone.

Its 2022, and people are complaining you need a smart phone? Somebody living on stone age still?

As seen with cars, built in media systems get outdated really fast. So its just wise to have phone integration to keep up the with apps years to come.

I just wish there is a chance to install proper topograhic maps for the new gauge. At least here in Europe, Polaris 7s maps are really simple and you still need to use a proper map app on your phone to navigate.

The BRP go app needs cell service and a phone to link to the gauge, so using maps and tracking is pointless on a mountain sled at the moment. So technically yah BRP is in the Stone Age. It works like airplay.

The Polaris app has downloadable maps so cell service is not required, but I have not been able to find out if the buddy tracking works.

The Polaris 7S gauge does not need a cell phone and has its own maps loaded into the gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
Dec 22, 2018
The BRP go app needs cell service and a phone to link to the gauge, so using maps and tracking is pointless on a mountain sled at the moment. So technically yah BRP is in the Stone Age. It works like airplay.

The Polaris app has downloadable maps so cell service is not required, but I have not been able to find out if the buddy tracking works.

The Polaris 7S gauge does not need a cell phone and has its own maps loaded into the gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone does not need cell service in order to GPS to work. So your location will be updated wether there is cell service or not.

In order to get full benefit of navigation, proper topograhic maps are a must for backcountry riders. I hope both manufacturers will offers proper maps in the future.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
gps alone won’t show other riders on the app which is the main thing people want so still much room for improvement therefore unnecessarily expensive for mountain riders.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Well like I said, we tested this feature this spring (just with our phones) at our backcountry areas, and it worked good. You do see where your friends are. If I remember right, it needs only even a weakest 2g connection for friends location update.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Phone does not need cell service in order to GPS to work. So your location will be updated wether there is cell service or not.

In order to get full benefit of navigation, proper topograhic maps are a must for backcountry riders. I hope both manufacturers will offers proper maps in the future.

The phone need service to load the maps on the BRP go app. No service in the backcountry, no updated map location on the phone or the gauge.

Shut your cell service completely off and see how the map loads.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Well like I said, we tested this feature this spring (just with our phones) at our backcountry areas, and it worked good. You do see where your friends are. If I remember right, it needs only even a weakest 2g connection for friends location update.
still requiring a cell signal is still a bummer and makes the gauge not worth the price for mountain riding. i'm also surprised that with the cost of the gauge that it has no integral gps. i'd like to see the marketing reasons behind these two things.

D
Dec 22, 2018
The phone need service to load the maps on the BRP go app. No service in the backcountry, no updated map location on the phone or the gauge.

Shut your cell service completely off and see how the map loads.

No sh*t sherlock. We use different maps&apps for hunting nowadays, you just select the area you want to download before the day and no need for cell service after that. But those are proper topographic maps.

Like I said we have been testing bro go this spring on the backcountry and it works, just as the same as my friend Polaris having a 7s screen. But both would need proper topographic maps, lets hope those are available at some point.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
No sh*t sherlock. We use different maps&apps for hunting nowadays, you just select the area you want to download before the day and no need for cell service after that. But those are proper topographic maps.

Like I said we have been testing bro go this spring on the backcountry and it works, just as the same as my friend Polaris having a 7s screen. But both would need proper topographic maps, lets hope those are available at some point.

Yes we are not talking about topographic hunting apps, dunno where that came from.

You must have cell service in your testing to get maps to load on the go app.
The 7S gauge and the Polaris and doo cell phone app technology is totally different. The Polaris app is totally different than the go app, they are not the same.
The Polaris app allows downloaded maps that are saved.
I have not found that function on the BRP app your BRP go app must be something special.
It’s no different than google maps when I loose cell service in the mountains.
Unless the doo gauge gets a FM transmitter like the 7S gauge, the doo gauge will always be in second.
Everyone knows this, BRP knows this, if your location is downloading updated maps on your go app than you have a network connection.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
BRP had to get in the game. Software will improve, hopefully without obsoleting hardware for early adopters, but there's always a chance that will happen. Early adopter risk. Weirdly, the Garmin TREAD device, offered as a kit for ACs, is the most well-rounded of the three, leaving the vehicle status out of functionality. AC has to go the partner route. It has radio and birdseye view without requiring phone. Smallish display. They will all have radio at some point, and it's just a matter of time for it to be part of helmet systems with bluetooth, no phone required. I did rock a 7S all winter, mostly great, radio will evolve, needs more topo and birdseye functionality.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
From what I have read, and seen unless the gauge has some other transceiver built into it that has not been published it will never have standalone buddy tracking.
as well unless the gauge has built in GPS receiver it will never have standalone mapping, for me this if a $1200 Hell NO I have a standalone GPS already and will not invest into anything that does not add further capability than what I have now. Everyone is different has different wants/needs, I neither want or need to spend that kind of money so I can look at a fancy screen.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
From what I have read, and seen unless the gauge has some other transceiver built into it that has not been published it will never have standalone buddy tracking.
as well unless the gauge has built in GPS receiver it will never have standalone mapping, for me this if a $1200 Hell NO I have a standalone GPS already and will not invest into anything that does not add further capability than what I have now. Everyone is different has different wants/needs, I neither want or need to spend that kind of money so I can look at a fancy screen.
exactly what i've been thinking and i'd wager that there is no dormant gps and/or radio in the new gauge to be enabled at a later date via a software update. if i'm right, the gauge is both cool in it's depiction of easy to read info but overall mostly lame and is an opportunity missed. i ordered my freeride without the new gauge because just having a larger screen is not terribly useful and def not worth the money.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I ended up getting the big gauge after I heard the two button gauge was no longer available. It’s a expensive IPad on the dash but It does have usable features in it like adjustable had warmer settings etc.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I ended up getting the big gauge after I heard the two button gauge was no longer available. It’s a expensive IPad on the dash but It does have usable features in it like adjustable had warmer settings etc.
as did the two button gauge have adjustable hand warmer settings

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
So when that fancy display gets broken, what do you think the cost will be for the dealer to install a new one?

Premium Features