• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boise Area Riders

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
i like channel 1 (one).

imagine we have a search going on. we are all using channel one.

all of a sudden someone comes on and says "hey, i'm lost, come get me."

Success!!!!

If you get some kids or something, you can chase them off pretty quickly by saying search, rescue, and Sheriff all in the same sentence, even if Sheriff isn't there yet.

Being real, if we are assets in place, and a traditional search/rescue unit shows up, they will in all liklihood use us.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I carry a SPOT as well but found out when Troy broke his neck last year they were going to send Crouch ambulance to retrieve him. I had to talk to dispatch and convince them that we needed Life Flight. Granted, I didn't push the 911 button as I knew I'd have cell reception on the ridge and just rode up there while the other guy in the party watched him. I did wonder after that how much time would have been added to the response time had I just pushed the button and not called. They are a great tool though. We carry the FRS radios and use Colletts as well.

L
Sep 24, 2003
Boise, ID
This is an awesome idea.. It would be cool to create our own site that we were in control of where we could list our contact info but keep it private to the people we know.. I would work on this if there is an interest... We could keep it exclusive so it's not open to everyone.

Also another thought maybe we could post/share pictures of everyones sleds/tow vehicles it would help identify if you were looking but it would also be fun to know when you pull into a parking lot that a fellow snowester is out there and riding.. I always talk to lots of people on here but never make it riding with them when I bet I have passed them on the trail somewhere...

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
This sounds like a really good deal. I like the disclaimer too.

I'm in the same boat as Tammy and Alan... if things go bad I'm always with Juli and were both there in the middle of it, at least I have someone better looking to keep warm with.

This kinda happened last weekend to the two of us... we went for a motorcycle trip to Box Lake via the Crestline loop trail. We left from the trail head that goes up to Blackwell Lake up through Squaw Lake, Black Lake, up through some nasty granite rocks above Box and then down a steep drop into the sister's lake area... once down there we rode about half a mile and came across a ton of down trees... we tried to go around, over and under the trees but after an hour we only made it a 1/4 mile and it was getting dark. We were heading to the Pearl trail head but it was 6-7 miles and with all the trees we were screwed. We tried going back towards Box thinking that the trail heading toward Lick Creek might be better but it wasn't...
At 730pm we called some friends in McCall and looked for advice (cell phones just barley worked). After a few calls back and forth the decision was made to leave the bikes sense it was too late to try to go out the way we came in especially with the steep climb out of the lake. We did have everything we needed to stay the night but it was suppose to drop below 40 in McCall and colder in the back country and it was a little dry to start a fire... we hiked out past Box out the end and down to Lick Creek... by the way, I'm not a hiker and the 7.2 miles sucked in the dark. We caught a ride out from our friends and tried to go back the next day from the Pearl side. There were three of us a chain saw and another bike but at about 3.5 miles we came across a mass amount of trees that would take us days to cut through... so hiked out to find another way.

We left the bikes all week and after many phone calls to the forest service they moved a trail clean up crew from one area to this area and spent two days clearing over 100 trees so we could hike in and get the bikes on Monday.

A couple things I didn't mention... I called on Friday before we rode in and they said the trail was clear and passable by motorcycle. I talked to Hinsons and they said that most people ride in from Pearl but some ride in from the South from Blackwell... I called the forest service the following Monday and asked the same question about the trail seeing if I would get the same answer... I did initially but then they said there was an obstruction about 3.5 miles in from one way and 11.2 miles from the other side (approx 2-3 miles of downed trees in the middle). I told them that I confirmed that and that my bikes were in there. They also said that the trees had been down for sometime... I figured at least two years. The only thing that made me really made is that they never marked the trail in the past two years saying that it wasn't passable or that bikes could not do the loop.

All in all we made it out and it was a bit of an adventure. On top of that I was proud of Juli for sticking it out with me and hiking in and out. We don't have big bikes but they are geared and setup for this type of riding and we struggled through a lot of this trail. I'm not the best rider but this trail is pretty technical. At least I can now say I've done what I set out to do and that I hiked in/out of Box lake both directions. I now know why it takes so much snow to cover the rocks and trees... that is one rocky area.

Reactions: 76FOMOCO
J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Does SPOT even work in tree wells? John? Hauler?:eek:

Blah, blah, blah...you need some new ammo buddy. One half day ride with me and that's all you have? :rolleyes:

Hauler, is he always this relentless?

Scott, sounds like a great adventure. We rode the Boise front and had a great day. Did you get any pics?

Last edited:
T
Nov 26, 2007
One thing to keep in mind, is if you are from another county or state, and have to go to a ridge top and call 911 from a cell phone, that it does not automatically call 911 dispatch closest to your location. It will sometimes get ahold of 911 dispatch closest to where your cell service originates from.
An example was a guy got buried in an avalanche up in an area called Caribou ridge ( Bonner County) , guys made the 911 call, but it went to a dispatch in another county ( Sanders county ). So make sure you alert dispatch what state and county you are in. ( Caribou Mntn/ Caribou ridge are common names, duplicated in different counties ).

C

concreteman

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 27, 2007
Blah, blah, blah...you need some new ammo buddy. One half day ride with me and that's all you have? :rolleyes:

Hauler, is he always this relentless?

Scott, sounds like a great adventure. We rode the Boise front and had a great day. Did you get any pics?

I like tree wells great place to get out of the wind and snow:D:D:D ohhh yes and I try too break off a couple trailing arms first thing :beer;:beer;I don't mind being the most unskilled rider on snowest It':):):)s actually kinda funn

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
ya he's like that....

Sorry to say if MOCO's lips are moving (and thats alot!!!) he is usually spouting some more chit! :D He likes to talk up his cat and busts on everything else. Good thing my Doo doesn't have ears or it would have hurt feelers.

Crazy part is, I love to hang with the guy... no explainin' it.?! Just fun to ride with and the smack talking is ALWAYS in good fun. I could see him gettin' under somebodies skin but mostly those guys have some insecurity they are trying to hide so... thats even better!!!

Me, I'm rich, sexy, drive a bigger truck, ride a faster newer sled and I'm bettin' money hung better than MOCO so I just laugh it off when he runs his mouth..... hahahahahahahaha Hey MOCO I meant all that in a good way. :D:beer;

cya Hauler

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Me, I'm rich, sexy, drive a bigger truck, ride a faster newer sled and I'm bettin' money hung better than MOCO so I just laugh it off when he runs his mouth..... hahahahahahahaha Hey MOCO I meant all that in a good way. :D:beer;

cya Hauler

OMG That is funny.......Hung better...:face-icon-small-win ya ok.. the snow hasn't even fallen yet and my back doc tells me i will have fully recovered from all the damage your trench magnet caused me.:eek:

I'll bring the cat over this winter you just bring the books and the pen and you can take notes.:D

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
76FOMOCO, we are going to tie one of those orange flags to your cat this year. Put it up on a 20 foot whip, so we can find you in your own trench.

Are there any stories about getting lost overnight, and spooning?????

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
oh manq

MOCO you crack me up man! No WADE no over night session last year but there is always next year... ha

I like the flag idea. At this point he has a new turbo something with NOS under the hood. I know he has designs to make it a 195 x 18 track (special order thing ya know) and new ti bolt kit is on its way. You know how some guys have lifted trucks to compensate... ya get my drift?! ;)

MOCO, bring the sled and I'll sharpen a pencil to take the notes... as for your back... I got stuck once last year! Thats how I remember it anyway. You on the other hand... it's like your boat anchor... oh sorry I meant sled and riding style are some sort of PT program. Instead of going to the gym and doing dead lifts we just spend all day lifting your dead (or stuck) sled. haha j/k man you know I love ya. haha

cya, H

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
Good idea Wade.
Count me in.

That's all good John.
I'll throw them some ammo.....
I seem to remember seeing you roll a borrowed sled down a large hill first thing right by the parking lot. lol

Credit where it's due though. You got up, threw away many broken parts and rode anyway.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Lmao!

Good idea Wade.
Count me in.

That's all good John.
I'll throw them some ammo.....
I seem to remember seeing you roll a borrowed sled down a large hill first thing right by the parking lot. lol

Credit where it's due though. You got up, threw away many broken parts and rode anyway.

You were there that day weren't you! Actually, I picked up all of the parts and disposed of them in the truck that was sitting 100 yards away before taking some asprin and riding off. :D Poor Rons sled, I did get it back together for him though. Damn thing almost took me out on the 8th or 10th roll. Ah, good times and stupid spring snow...seeing a trend? That was my first ride on an EFI Cat too...:confused:

So, how many do you have now Wade? If BMWMS & Concreteman get lost we'll need all we can get. :eek:

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
You were there that day weren't you! Actually, I picked up all of the parts and disposed of them in the truck that was sitting 100 yards away before taking some asprin and riding off. :D Poor Rons sled, I did get it back together for him though. Damn thing almost took me out on the 8th or 10th roll. Ah, good times and stupid spring snow...seeing a trend? That was my first ride on an EFI Cat too...:confused:

So, how many do you have now Wade? If BMWMS & Concreteman get lost we'll need all we can get. :eek:

About 10 or so, a bunch more people have said they will send me something.

If those two get lost, they'd best start walking back to the road. Where James rides, that'd take a week. I kinda know all the places he rides, but haven't been to most of them. We'll get some more people, season is still a ways off. And, I haven't pushed anyone.

I hope everyone realizes this is local. Say McCall to Fairfield, outside of that, we might need to have you guys setup something local.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
You were there that day weren't you! Actually, I picked up all of the parts and disposed of them in the truck that was sitting 100 yards away before taking some asprin and riding off.

Ya I remember, I drove that day and we pulled your trailer.
And yes, you did round up all the parts etc, as apposed to littering them.
I'm pretty sure we all know you well enough to know that you don't do that.

Now that I think about it, that was some time ago.
I was still riding the 151 Ultra then.
We'd better drink some Optimators and plan a couple rides for this season.

Hey Wade,
Lob me a call on the GWR line at 559-1689 and I'll give you all the info.

Last edited:
A
Jul 27, 2001
Meridian, ID
I've been on a list with Reggie for years and have had more than one midnight phone call from him. I'm glad to do it. I haven't had to have someone come haul my tired behind out and don't plan on it, but it sure would be a comfort to know "you had my back". Also, if you have a lifelight membership, we should definitely know which one (Al's or Luke's).

I'll PM you Wade.

Ryan

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Wade,

I'll get you some info in the next couple days as well. Great idea. I also like Tammy's idea about a page where we can post where we are headed for a trip, that could be a great advantage for those than aren't on the list but are looking.

Premium Features