• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclaw Bob's

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
partly cloudy

I have been gone for a couple of days. So the recap for Monday is that we had about 3 inches of snow fall in town and about 6 inches on the mountain. It did cover all the tracks up. Tuesday was a sunny day. Today we could see something fall. Not sure what it will be. I'm thinking rain. Thursday we have a 60% of snow / rain, Friday will be partly cloudy. The weekend is showing snow/rain.
It's getting to be spring riding. crusty in the morning with soft snow in the afternoon. I like this time of year, you can get around and see more of the area.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Temperatures will rise and the sun will shine, warming and melting the snow. A thick and supportable ice crust 6-12” deep is a perfect sliding surface for the wet snow. Expect natural, point release avalanches on slopes getting baked by the sun. Wet avalanches will be easy to trigger. Signs that the snow surface is weakening and getting close to avalanching are roller balls and pinwheels. Yesterday, Eric and I toured north of Bridger Bowl to Texas Meadow where I triggered a large pinwheel on the ice crust. At lower elevations there is no crust and the snowpack is wet, unsupportable and prone to avalanching.

Yesterday was warm and the low lying clouds created a greenhouse effect which trapped the heat and warmed the snow more than normal. Even outside Cooke City, our winter hold-out, a ski guide reported moist snow on all aspects up to 11,000 feet. Yesterday’s video from the Bridger Range and Monday’s video from Taylor Fork, show the wet avalanche potential for the coming days.

For today, the wet snow avalanche danger will rise from MODERATE in the morning to CONSIDERABLE as the day heats up, especially on sun exposed slopes.

If you can find dry snow at higher elevations the danger will be MODERATE since avalanches are possible, especially with the recent snow and wind.

CORNICE DANGER

Cornices are extra big this year (photo) and the warm temperatures will weaken their grip on the ridgelines. They can break far from the edge and can trigger large avalanches.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
overcast

Morning from Bearclaw / bakery and the Super 8. The snowman is saying we might see several inches of snow by tonight. Its going to be cooler with the high in the upper 30's and lows in the teen's.
Friday well see partly cloudy skies.

The snow still isn't bad. The conditions at this time are crusty in the mornings and softens up by 10 am. With the chance of snow today, we might not see it soften. If we do get a few inches of snow, it will make down hill slopes faster to go down. Be careful.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: It’s a choose your own adventure type of day. Dry snow still exists on high north facing slopes while spring corn conditions can be found if timed right on south facing and lower elevation terrain.

The snow will change quickly today. A surface crust that formed overnight due to below freezing temperatures will break down when exposed to warmer temps and sun. This will produce poor travel and increasingly unstable conditions video. We had an observation of skiers who found themselves slogging for over three hours to cover what would normally take a half hour due to isothermal snow conditions. My partner and I found similar conditions when skiing out of Beehive Basin around 1 p.m. yesterday. In the Bridger Range, a large wet loose avalanche was observed on Bridger Peak yesterday. It started as a small point release in an upper elevation rock band, but grew in size as it traveled down a majority of the slide path.

With a good freeze overnight, wet snow avalanches won’t be a problem until late morning-early afternoon. If skies stay cloudier than expected, wet snow instabilities shouldn’t be a problem above 9,000 ft. If the sun comes out in earnest, roller balls and point releases will be an issue on sun exposed slopes. If these signs of instability are present, it will be best to move to shadier aspects or away from steeper terrain.

For today, the wet snow avalanche danger will start out LOW in the morning and rise to MODERATE as the day heats up, especially on sun exposed slopes and mid to low elevation terrain. The dry snow avalanche danger on high north facing slopes is LOW.

CORNICE DANGER

Cornices are extra big this year and the warm temperatures will weaken their grip on the ridgelines. They can break far from the edge and can trigger large avalanches like this one observed last week in the Bridger Range.

Last edited:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Sunny

Its going to be a great day to go ride. The sun is out and the temp's will be around the lower 40's. The temp's will drop to the lower 30's tomorrow with a 50% chance of snow and Sunday with the temp's staying the same and partly cloudy. Snow moves back in for Monday and Tuesday.

The last day for the bakery will be April 2. Terri will reopen around memorial day weekend. She will give you more dates for opening.
The bakery has been packed all week and Mom's motorsports will be back this Sunday.

I'm still waiting for my last shipment of BCA link radio's, I've got most of them sold.
Stop in and check out the latest helmets, great colors.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: It’s not snowing but at least it cooled off. Below freezing temperatures overnight combined with clear skies will produce a firm and locked up snowpack during the first half of the day. On all but high north facing slopes, a solid curst will exist on the snow surface creating stable conditions.

As the day progresses, snow conditions will change under the influence of warming temps and sun. If timed right, skiers and riders will enjoy good corn snow as the day heats up. If timed poorly, skiers and riders could endure a slog fest through breakable crust and isothermal mush video. Roller balls and pinwheels are obvious clues the upper layers of the snowpack are becoming unstable.

One saving grace will be increasing clouds and wind this afternoon. This could reduce the potential for wet snow avalanches, at least at higher elevations. I still expect snow on mid to low elevation slopes to become increasingly unstable as the day progresses.

It's worth noting – a few dry slab avalanches were observed on north facing slopes around Cooke City. This isn’t a widespread problem, but it’s something to consider if you’re skiing or riding in that area.

For today, the wet snow avalanche danger will start out LOW and rise to MODERATE as the day heats up, especially on sun exposed slopes and mid to low elevation terrain. The dry snow avalanche danger is LOW.

CORNICE DANGER

Cornices are extra big this year and the warm temperatures will weaken their grip on the ridgelines. They can break far from the edge and can trigger large avalanches like this one observed last week in the Bridger Range.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
lightly snowing

Its been lightly snowing since 5 am. But we really haven't seen it collecting yet. The ground is to warm in town to let it pile up. The snowman is calling for 3-5 inches by tomorrow. I feel we'll see it on the mountain.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS:Early morning snow showers urge an increase in avalanche danger today. The forecast is for light snow accumulations and calm wind, but the forecast could be wrong and just a few inches of snow will create small hazards. New snow will bond poorly to firm crusts and make loose avalanches easy to trigger. Small wind slabs could be found near ridgelines and have high consequences above cliffs or dense trees.

Yesterday, temperatures stayed relatively cool and allowed the snow surface to stay frozen and supportable after two nights of solid freeze. We went to take down the Hyalite weather station and found thick, supportable crusts on high elevation slopes through early afternoon. Ski patrols at Bridger Bowl and Big Sky were similarly satisfied with strong, supportable surface conditions through the day. Freezing temperatures last night and clear skies prior to early morning snow allowed the snow surface to again refreeze.

Today, cool temperatures and cloudy skies make wet avalanches deeper than the new snow unlikely. If the sun peeks out for just a few minutes or where temperatures are warmer (e.g., lower elevations) the new snow could get moist, and wet loose avalanches could run naturally or be easily triggered. Be aware of natural dry or wet loose avalanches from steep terrain overhead. I have been surprised more than once by small, but potentially high consequence sluffs during quickly changing spring conditions. The avalanche danger today is MODERATE.

Last week, skiers near Cooke City observed some deeper dry slab avalanches on north aspects and a group triggered two wind slabs on an east aspect. These deeper dry slabs are not widespread, but possible on shady high elevation slopes.

CORNICE DANGER

Cornices are extra big this year (photo) and warm temperatures weaken their grip on the ridgelines. They can break far from the edge and can trigger large avalanches like one observed last week in the Bridger Range

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SNOW

Walked out the door to find about an inch fresh powder on the level. The mountain picked up about 3-4 inches. The snowman is calling for snow through Tuesday and partly sunny for Wednesday. Temp's will stay in the mid to upper 30's to mid 20's at night.

Bakery is busy again this morning.
Mom's motorsports made it in early this morning.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Freezing overnight temperatures and cool days have maintained a thick, supportable crust at the surface of the snowpack on all except for shady high elevation slopes. The snowpack is generally stable and avalanche concerns are confined to a few inches of recent snow. Similar dry or wet loose avalanches are possible to trigger today or could run naturally in steep rocky terrain. Be aware of terrain overhead that could produce large loose snow avalanches during increasing temperatures or intermittent sunshine.

The sun is more powerful each day as it gets higher in the sky and the briefest bout of sunshine will make the snow surface moist and wet loose avalanches easier to trigger. Move to shadier slopes if you encounter signs of increasing wet avalanche hazard such as a moist snow surface, roller balls, or sink into wet snow deeper than your boot. Deeper wet slides, similar to a few in Beehive last week, will be possible when the surface crust melts. Today, relatively cool temperatures and cloud cover will minimize wet snow avalanche hazard and wet avalanches deeper than a few inches are unlikely.

Dry slab avalanches are unlikely, but may be encountered on shady slopes that do not have a firm refrozen crust below recent snow. Practice safe travel techniques, be diligent with snowpack assessment, and anticipate rapid changes during variable spring weather.

The avalanche danger today is LOW and will rise to MODERATE for wet snow avalanches this afternoon.

CORNICE DANGER

Cornices are extra big this year and warm temperatures weaken their grip on the ridgelines. They can break far from the edge and can trigger large avalanches on slopes below.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
snow

The snowman has put us in a winter storm warning from tonight till midnight Friday. We could see up to 18 inches of snow.
Went out riding today with a couple of friends from Bozeman and Jacob from Mom's, what a great day. Found up to 10 inches of snow in most places.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today is a day of transition as another storm approaches. This morning sun will dampen the snow surface creating the possibility of wet loose avalanches. This danger will be short lived as increasing cloud cover and wind will keep significant melting at bay. Later this afternoon rain may occur at lower elevations. Rain on snow is bad and can quickly trigger widespread avalanches.

Light winds are moving snow and today they are forecasted to increase. Throughout our advisory area the dry snow avalanche danger is rated MODERATE on all wind-loaded terrain and LOW everywhere else. The wet snow avalanche danger will rise to MODERATE on slopes getting sun and if rain occurs, the danger will rise even more.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
snow

So far the snowman has been right. The mountain has picked up 8-10 inches of fresh powder. We've picked up about 5 inches of wet and heavy snow in town. The winter storm warning is still in effect till Friday midnight. For Saturday will be partly cloudy skies and lower 40's. The Sunday and Monday more snow moving back into the forecast.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The current weather pattern will create a variety of avalanche problems today. On mid to low elevation slopes, above freezing temps and rain will increase the wet snow avalanche hazard. The thick surface crust that formed the past few days will hold up this morning, but the snowpack will become soft and unsupportable as the day progresses, mainly on slopes below 8,000 ft. This problem will be most dangerous in steep terrain, primarily in areas associated with terrain traps such as creek beds and gullies.

On upper elevation slopes, the dry snow avalanche hazard will increase as snow continues to fall. Dry loose avalanches in steep terrain will be the main concern. The firm crust below the new snow will make a good surface for the new snow to slide on. These slides have the potential to entrain a large volume of snow, which can carry a skier or rider into hazardous terrain.

Wind slabs below upper elevation ridgelines will also be a concern. Winds blew 20-30 mph out of the W-SW yesterday, which likely loaded leeward slopes. A recent avalanche outside of Cooke City is a good example of what’s still possible in steep, wind loaded terrain.

Today, the dry snow avalanche hazard will start out MODERATE, but rise to CONSIDERABLE with continued snowfall. The wet snow avalanche hazard on mid to low elevation slopes is MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
partly cloudy

Morning from Bearclaw/ bakery and the Super 8 motel. Most of the snow storm went North of us. The mountain picked up about 12 inches total from the storm. The snowman is still calling for a winter storm watch until midnight tonight.

Tomorrow will be the last day for the bakery to be open. Terri will be back open the end May.

Sunday will be my last day for the season. If you need something you can always call me. I'll try and help you as much a possible. I'll see everyone next season.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Although the new snow had a day to settle and bond to the underlying bed surface, loose snow avalanches will be possible in steep terrain today. This problem will be a growing concern once the sun comes out. Pay attention to changing conditions and don’t be afraid to change plans if instability is on the rise.

An additional problem will be wind slabs near upper elevation ridgelines. Winds shifted to the E-NE yesterday, which will create unusual loading patterns. With plenty of snow available for transport, mainly above 9,000 ft. wind slabs will be something to look out for. These won’t be real touchy to human triggers, but they could to fail under the weight of skier or rider.

Today, the dry snow avalanche hazard is MODERATE in upper elevation terrain. The wet snow avalanche hazard will start out LOW, but rise to MODERATE as the day progresses.

N
Mar 17, 2017
Morning from Bearclaw/ bakery and the Super 8 motel. Most of the snow storm went North of us. The mountain picked up about 12 inches total from the storm. The snowman is still calling for a winter storm watch until midnight tonight.

Tomorrow will be the last day for the bakery to be open. Terri will be back open the end May.

Sunday will be my last day for the season. If you need something you can always call me. I'll try and help you as much a possible. I'll see everyone next season.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Although the new snow had a day to settle and bond to the underlying bed surface, loose snow avalanches will be possible in steep terrain today. This problem will be a growing concern once the sun comes out. Pay attention to changing conditions and don’t be afraid to change plans if instability is on the rise.

An additional problem will be wind slabs near upper elevation ridgelines. Winds shifted to the E-NE yesterday, which will create unusual loading patterns. With plenty of snow available for transport, mainly above 9,000 ft. wind slabs will be something to look out for. These won’t be real touchy to human triggers, but they could to fail under the weight of skier or rider.

Today, the dry snow avalanche hazard is MODERATE in upper elevation terrain. The wet snow avalanche hazard will start out LOW, but rise to MODERATE as the day progresses.

Thanks again for the Cooke city snow report all winter again as always!! Great service Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Sunny

It's a bright day here in Cooke city. Let you guys know that Steve and Belinda the managers have left us to go back home to Ohio. We'll miss them. I'm sure a lot of our customers will to. The new managers are Jennifer and Guy.
The snowman is calling for a nice day today, but things will change for Sunday through Tuesday. We will have a chance of snow. For Wednesday through Friday the sun comes back out and be a great day to play on the mountain.
Today was the last day for the bakery. Terri will be open the 3rd weekend of May. We will all see you then.

I do want to thank everyone that has come to town to ride, hike, ski or just visit to have a wonderful summer. If it wasn't for you folks, this little town wouldn't be here. Again a Big Thank you.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today, wet loose avalanches will be the primary concern. The snow that fell Wednesday night and Thursday morning will move easily when exposed to direct sun and warming temps. Yesterday, my partner and I took a final tour up Hyalite and found 8” of new snow above 9,000 feet. The new snow was dense and contained more than 1” of SWE. Alex found similar conditions in the mountains around Cooke City yesterday.

The new snow is sitting on a firm ice crust, which will make a good sliding surface. Wet loose avalanche have the potential to entrain large volumes of snow and run long distances. Watch for signs of instability such as roller balls and pinwheels. These are obvious clues the surface snow is losing strength and becoming unstable. Moving to shadier aspects or away from steep slopes will be a good idea if these signs are present.

A secondary avalanche problem will be wind slabs. Moderate to strong winds out of the E-NE formed wind drifts below upper elevation ridgelines. Yesterday, a skier on Mt Blackmore remotely triggered a wind slab that broke 1’ deep and 30 feet wide. This slide could have caught and carried the skier into hazardous terrain. Be especially aware of this problem is you’re seeking dry snow on high north facing slopes.

Today, the wet snow avalanche danger will start out LOW, but rise to CONSIDERABLE as the day heats up. The dry snow avalanche danger is rated MODERATE on upper elevation-wind loaded slopes.

Last edited:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Side x side

If you plan on coming out this summer. We do rent Single atv's, side x sides, 4 passenger and 5 passenger units. Stop by and say HI if your in town. Have a great summer.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks for all the updates Bob! And thank your wife for the wonderful breakfast. My wife says we're riding our bikes to Cooke this summer JUST to get a breakfast burrito.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
snow

Had to let you guys know how good the riding has been. Excellent

Don't miss out on the best riding, I think for this whole winter. Fresh snow and a great base. The snowman is still calling for more snow for the weekend.

Premium Features