• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclaw Bob's

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Cloudy

Cloudy skies this morning is what the snowman is saying. The next chance of snow comes in on Monday and its a 50% gamble.
We need to start the snow dance today and keep it going for a good week.
You can find places out on the mountain that hasn't been touched by a sled and you don't have to look to hard to find it.
The Top of the World has been good for riding. Lots of untouched area's.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Yellowstone Club Community Foundation and Wisetail.
The snowpack is gaining strength but there are two weak layers we are keeping our eye on. One is sugary facets near the ground (depth hoar) and the other is a thin layer of facets a couple feet under the surface. The facets at the ground are everywhere, the other layer is not. On Wednesday in Lionhead the depth hoar was obvious and I was happy to see this layer getting stronger. As I know from going to the gym, getting strong and being strong are two different things. Avalanches could still be triggered on the depth hoar from thinner areas of the snowpack. The snow is 5-7 feet deep around Cooke City and 4-5 feet deep in the other areas, but near the edges of avalanche paths it would shallower.

Thursday evening 1-2” of new snow covered up a layer of feathery, surface hoar crystals. This was confirmed yesterday at Bacon Rind in the southern Madison Range and I imagine there are many more slopes where it is preserved. They are weak and persistent and we will track this new weak layer closely in the coming weeks.

The snowpack is trending towards stability but the weak snow structure causes me to pause. Although the likelihood of triggering is decreasing I am still traveling as though avalanches are possible. For today, the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

Just a reminder that the AVALANCHE SIGN is on the front of my building. It shows you what the danger is on that day. BE SAFE

The bakery has been busy with all you guys stopping in for breakfast. Terri would like to say THANK YOU for coming in. She still has the special to come in early and get a free cup of coffee on her.

Have a safe weekend.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Surprise its snowing

Woke up this morning to find another inch of snow on the ground. The snowman didn't call for that. The snowman is calling for a 70% chance of snow for Monday. He is stating at least another couple of inches. We'll have a chance of snow through Tuesday night. It's going to get down below zero from Wednesday to Friday.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is dedicated to Andrew Greicar who was killed in an avalanche outside of Cooke City on this day fourteen years ago.

The snowpack has had minimal stress with 2-3” of snow this weekend as the only snowfall over the past ten days. Buried weak layers have gained strength, but create a structure still capable of producing large avalanches. The last observed avalanche activity was a large natural avalanche in Beehive Basin last weekend, which broke on sugary faceted snow near the ground. A weak layer of facets buried 2-3 feet below the snow surface also remain a concern. Stable results in stability tests and a lack of avalanche activity indicate a stronger snowpack. Avalanches are possible to trigger on these weak layers, but are less likely as time passes without heavy snowfall or wind-loading. Doug’s video from his most recent trip to Lionhead outlines this situation.

Evaluate the snowpack and choose terrain carefully today. Large avalanches are more likely to be triggered from shallower areas of the snowpack. These areas may be found near the edges of slopes. Previously wind loaded slopes have greater variability in slab depth and could have the perfect recipe to trigger a large avalanche. Expose only one person at a time to steep slopes and watch partners from safe areas. The avalanche danger today is MODERATE.

I'm about out of the BCA link radio's, call to save one. I also got in several tunnel bags and shovels. Stop in and check them out.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
He's right

The snowman was right when he stated 2 inches. That's what I woke up to. Should have been two feet. We could see another 5 inches by tomorrow morning. But wait, remember we are going to see below Zero temp's for the next few days.
If anything else comes in today while I"m gone, I'll give you a update tonight.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Had a good ride Thurs-Sat. We really ventured into the steep trees and found good snow. Cooke always amazes me with what you can find even when everyone says its tracked up and no good....Also have to give a shout out to Bob. Always appreciate his extra help and hospitality. He even sold me a set of straps that he just bought the day before in Billings :rofl:

http://snowest.com/forum/forum.vb/picture.php?albumid=3532&pictureid=34214
http://snowest.com/forum/forum.vb/picture.php?albumid=3532&pictureid=34213
http://snowest.com/forum/forum.vb/picture.php?albumid=3532&pictureid=34212
http://snowest.com/forum/forum.vb/picture.php?albumid=3532&pictureid=34211

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
NO Snow

Afternoon from a sunny town in the mountains. The snowman called for snow last night and today. But instead we have lots of sun. We have a 50% chance on Wednesday but then turning to sunny skies till the end of the week. The highs will be in the mid 20 and lows from zero to 5 below.

SNOW DANCE tonight.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Grizzly Outfitters in cooperation with the Friends of the Avalanche Center.

Today’s stability concerns are with two layers: large, sugary grains of depth hoar at the ground and a layer of facets 2-3’ under the surface. The snowpack is getting stronger which we see in our stability tests (snowpits) and lack of avalanche activity. We are happy to see this trend, but we are still a tad nervous about the weak layer at the ground. In our conversations we ask each other, “Would you ski it? Would you ride it?” in reference to known avalanche terrain. Our answers hover around “maybe”, a bit wishy-washy and telling. Triggering an avalanche at the ground would be large and deadly. We believe that on thinner spots of the slope (around edges of the path or near rocky outcroppings) a person might be able to trigger a deep avalanche. On the upper weak layer, a skier in Beehive Basin got an unstable result in his stability test (ECTP14), a sign that triggering a slide is still possible. For these reasons the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE on all slopes today.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
overcast

Morning from Bearclaw / Bakery and the Super 8. The snowman is calling for isolated snow shower today with sunny skies then for the next 4 days. Temp's will be in the mid 20's with lows in the single digits.

The bakery has two best sellers, they have been the almond french toast and the western omelet. MMMMMMMM

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Gallatin County Search and Rescue and Spark R&D.

The tricky part about current conditions is many slopes are stable but a few are not. Figuring out which slopes are stable and which slopes are not requires digging a snowpit and doing a quick stability test. It’s not worth throwing caution to the wind and assuming that all steep slopes are stable and safe.

In addition to buried depth hoar, isolated wind slabs are also a concern. This problem exists in upper elevation, alpine terrain. Watch for and avoid areas of wind drifted snow, especially in steep high consequence terrain.

Today, natural avalanches are unlikely, but human triggered avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

I've just got another shipment of BCA link radios in. Come in and check them out. I do rent these if you don't want to buy them.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Below

It's 8 below this crisp clear morning. The snowman is calling for clear skies for the next 4 days. The highs will be mid 20's and lows zero.

Dance, Dance Dance. Lets all start the snow dance today.

My shipment of Amsoil will be in next week. My 3rd shipment of BCA link radio's are in. I'd swear that they have wings on them.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by World Boards and Edward Jones.
Outside of the wind slab problem, facets near the ground remain a concern. This layer is getting stronger and has not been stressed in over a weak, which is making it less likely to produce avalanches. With that said, depth hoar is notorious for producing unexpected slides, which is a good reason to respect this problem. Doug explains the current situation in a good video from the southern Madison Range.

Today, heightened avalanche conditions exist and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
partly cloudy

Reporting from Bearclaw/bakery in Cooke City. The snowman changed his mind from clear skies to partly cloudy. The snow dance brought some clouds in, but not enough to make it snow. Tomorrow we should see clear skies. The next chance of snow will be this coming Tuesday.

AVALANCHE CONDITION: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Gallatin Valley Snowmobile Association and Excel Physical Therapy.

The mountains south of Bozeman had less snow than the Bridger Range on Wednesday, but there is enough light snow on the surface to form wind slabs. Yesterday, a skier in the Northern Madison Range triggered a 50 foot wide wind slab that ran 800 feet, and Big Sky patrol reported reactive wind slabs up to a foot deep on all aspects. Wind slabs 1-2 feet thick are possible to trigger today. Evaluate terrain and snowpack carefully, and approach wind loaded slopes with caution.

Weak layers of facets and depth hoar near the ground are still a concern. This weak snow has gained strength and has not produced recent avalanches, but there are still some slopes where unstable snow could create a large avalanche. Doug found an unstable slope among many stable slopes at Lionhead earlier this week. He was happy he dug a snowpit before skiing the slope, and went to a different slope (video). Slopes with a shallow snowpack or variable slab depth are most likely to have weak and unstable snow. Depth hoar can produce unexpected avalanches months after it is buried. Evaluate the snowpack before committing to steep slopes. Wind slabs and buried facets make the avalanche danger today MODERATE.

Well, just ran out of BCA link radio's again. I've got more ordered, call and reserve them.

If you need to get out of the cold to work on your sled, come on over and use a heated garage. It comes with tools to work on them.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
partly cloudy

I have shocking news. The snowman is calling for a 100% chance of snow for Tuesday and Wednesday. Lets keep the snow dance going.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Cooke City Super 8/Bearclaw Bob’s and Buck Products.

Sugary depth hoar near the bottom of the snowpack is still there, but avalanches on this layer are unlikely. It has been over two weeks since the last reported avalanche on this layer. Snow depth in the advisory area ranges from 3-4 feet in the northern ranges to 4-7 feet in the southern ranges. Where the snowpack is deeper, minimal snowfall and wind-loading have allowed weak depth hoar to adjust to overlying slabs. Depth hoar has grown weaker where the snowpack is shallow, but has not had enough load to create an unstable snowpack. Isolated areas where an avalanche could be triggered on this layer are more likely on slopes with varying slab thickness or recent wind loading.

Above freezing temperatures and sunshine today could create wet loose avalanches on sunny aspects. Anticipate changing conditions on sunny slopes through the day. Avoid steep, sunny slopes if the surface is moist or wet.

The avalanche danger today is MODERATE on wind loaded slopes and LOW on non-wind loaded slopes.

I've had lots of people ask if I work on sleds, I do and I specialize on Arctic cat sleds. I do carry parts for most brands.

Don't forget I let people work on their sleds in a heated garage and you can store your sleds over night.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Had to work

Yes, I plowed snow for two days. The town picked up over 2 feet and the mountain over 4. The powder is way over the handle bars. Its still snowing ( 3inches ) and the temp is 5 below. The winds out of the East.
By tomorrow the temp's will be in the lower 30. The 10 day forecast from the snowman is calling for snow and more snow. I think we can stop the snow dance for a while.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Bountiful Table and Alpine Orthopedics.

The mountains around Cooke City picked up over two feet of snow Monday night and Tuesday. During the storm, heavy snow and strong winds added a rapid and heavy load to the snowpack. Fortunately, the new snow bonded well to the old snow surface and fell onto a relatively strong snowpack. Yesterday, my partner and I only observed one small natural avalanche on a wind loaded slope off Crown Butte.

Today, wind loaded slopes will be the primary avalanche concern. Winds blew predominately out of the W-NW during the storm, making east and south facing slopes the most likely to hold wind deposited snow. Today, I expect wind loaded slopes to remain sensitive to human triggers. Avalanches failing within the new snow are also possible on non-wind loaded slopes, mainly in steeper terrain.

Today, human triggered avalanches are likely on wind loaded slopes which have a CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger. Non-wind loaded slopes have a MODERATE avalanche danger.

The garage is full of sleds and I've got most of my rentals out. I wish every one was here to enjoy the great powder.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
7 days left

Found the temp's to me 30 degrees this morning at 4:30 am. I've been out plowing snow again. The snowman is still calling for 7 more days of winter. You can blame the ground hog or the snow dance for this weather system. We picked up about 4 inches yesterday and several today with high winds.
Snow is still over the handle bars this morning.

The bakery has been really busy, Terri and I would like to THANK everyone that comes in to support us.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Yellowstone Arctic Yamaha and Yamaha Motor Corp in partnership with the Friends of the Avalanche Center.

The southern ranges picked up a healthy shot of snow over the past 24 hours. Madison Plateau Snotel site near West Yellowstone is showing 8-10” of new snow totaling 1” of SWE (snow water equivalent). Fisher Creek Snotel near Cooke City is recording 6-8” of snow totaling .8” of SWE and Carrot Basin in the southern Madison Range is showing 4-5” of snow totaling .5” of SWE. This new snow was accompanied by strong winds out of the W-SW. Today, wind loaded slopes will be the most prone to human triggered avalanches. Slopes below ridgelines and on the leeward side of cross-loaded terrain features will be likely areas to find fresh wind slabs. These fresh slabs will be sensitive to human triggers and should be avoided.

Outside of wind loaded slopes, a few different weak layers have the potential to produce avalanches in non-wind loaded terrain. In the mountains near West Yellowstone, a buried layer of surface hoar is capped by over a foot of snow. This layer doesn’t exist on all slopes, which makes it tricky. It’s worth digging a quick snowpit to look for this layer before committing to steeper terrain. In the mountains around Cooke City, a thin layer of facets sitting on top of an ice crust can be found on south facing slopes. Yesterday, Doug got this layer to propagate in stability tests on a south facing slope below Daisy Pass. Given the heavy amount of new snow overt the past 24 hours, careful snowpack evaluation is essential before skiing or riding any steep slope.

Today, dangerous avalanche conditions exist and the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on all slopes.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
6 days left

The snowman is on his snowmobile running around on the mountains making it snow, having so much fun, he's telling me that we have 7 days left for this winter weather. The chance of snow today is 50% and for Monday is 70%. We could see another 5-8 inches by Monday night. The temps are staying in the lower to mid 30's. The wind has went down this morning, but it blew hard last night.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Yellowstone Arctic Yamaha and Yamaha Motor Corp in partnership with the Friends of the Avalanche Center.

This new snow was accompanied by strong winds out of the W-SW. Today, wind loaded slopes will be the most prone to human triggered avalanches. Slopes below ridgelines and on the leeward side of cross-loaded terrain features will be likely areas to find fresh wind slabs. These fresh slabs will be sensitive to human triggers and should be avoided.

Outside of wind loaded slopes, a few different weak layers have the potential to produce avalanches in non-wind loaded terrain. In the mountains near West Yellowstone, a buried layer of surface hoar is capped by over a foot of snow. This layer doesn’t exist on all slopes, which makes it tricky. It’s worth digging a quick snowpit to look for this layer before committing to steeper terrain. In the mountains around Cooke City, a thin layer of facets sitting on top of an ice crust can be found on south facing slopes. Yesterday, Doug got this layer to propagate in stability tests on a south facing slope below Daisy Pass. Given the heavy amount of new snow overt the past 24 hours, careful snowpack evaluation is essential before skiing or riding any steep slope.

Today, dangerous avalanche conditions exist and the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on all slopes.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WOW

I've had a breather to sit down and give everyone a update. Its still snowing and the snowman is still calling for another 3 more days of snow. Tomorrow will see mid 30's and a 90% chance of snow and then changing into snow/rain in the afternoon. Could see up to 8 inches.
We are in a AVALANCHE WARNING TILL 5:15 AM THURSDAY.

The AVALANCHE CLASS will be at the Super 8 motel on Friday the 10th at 6 pm.

If you say will I be out plowing tomorrow, I would have to say yes.

The snow is still over the handle bars and the visibility sucks. The town is busy with sledders and skiers. Thanks you

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Wisetail and Gallatin County Search and Rescue.

Cooke City got another 6+” of snow measuring .6” of SWE (snow water equivalent) totaling 5.6” of SWE since Friday, a hefty amount of weight. Winds were moderate yesterday, but today gusts of 40 mph will be loading many slopes. Widespread collapses (whumphs) were reported by a ski guide yesterday, and another skier had propagation in his stability tests 2’ under the surface. Steady snowfall, erratic winds, buried weak layers of surface hoar and facets, and most importantly, natural and human triggered avalanche activity on Sunday indicate dangerous avalanche conditions will continue. For today, the avalanche danger is rated HIGH on all slopes.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Rain/snow

Worked all day plowing snow. By this afternoon it started raining just like the snowman called for. But good news, its still snowing on the mountain. Friday and Saturday we will see it start clearing up. Friday a 30% chance of snow and Saturday a slight chance of snow. For next week the sun will be out.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Community Food Co-op and World Boards.

Over the past week, snowfall around Cooke City has been measure in feet! Fisher Creek Snotel site has recorded 6” of SWE (snow water equivalent) in the past 6 days. This is a tremendous amount of snow. Even the strongest snowpack will have difficulty supporting this extremely heavy load. Over the past five days, both natural and human triggered avalanches have been reported. This is bull’s eye information the snowpack has been pushed past its breaking point. Today, continued snowfall and strong winds will create very dangerous avalanche conditions. Both natural and human triggered avalanches are likely. Avalanche terrain and avalanche runout zones should be avoided.

For today, the avalanche danger is rated HIGH on all slopes.

Don't forget about the free AVALANCHE TRAINING AT THE SI[ER 8 PM FRIDAYS AT 6PM

jjmyzrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Helena, MT
I hope that Cooke City still has powder. I will be there this weekend, I am a little concerned about the last few days of warm temperatures.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
another long day

To let everyone know that the temp's fell back to below freezing and everything was hard this morning and most of the day. The sun did come out after this morning snow fall, only 2 inches. The powder on the mountain was awesome today.
LuLu Passe slid today, went clear across the valley floor. Haven't seen it that way for several years now.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Excel Physical Therapy and Cooke City Super 8/Bearclaw Bob’s.

The mountains near Cooke City received historic snowfall over the last week with 8-10 feet of snow totaling 9.5” of snow water equivalent (SWE) over eight days. This storm was the largest since 1986 when 7.7” of SWE fell over six days. Snow stopped falling yesterday afternoon, but winds overnight continue to load slopes and form huge slabs of snow. Wind loading will continue today and large avalanches are likely on wind-loaded slopes. Yesterday I was in Cooke City during extreme danger. We steered clear of all steep slopes and avalanche runout zones with fear that slides could run historic distances, break trees, and be deadly in small terrain. We were not able to observe many slopes due to poor visibility, but saw a large, 6’ deep wind slab that piled up in a confined terrain trap. Large to historic avalanches are possible today and avalanche terrain should be avoided. Have fun in low angle terrain and avoid runout zones below steep, wind loaded slopes. Avalanche danger is HIGH on wind loaded slopes and CONSIDERABLE on all other slopes.

Been a busy week and weekend for snow and sledders. Have a great weekend. Be safe.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Todays up date

Afternoon from the sun belt. The temp. got up to 37 degrees with a low tonight in the lower 20's. The snowman is calling for clear skies till Friday and we have another storm moving in. Looks like the chance of snow will be at 30%.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by our sweethearts Allyson, Marcie and Nina who are our biggest supporters.

If you Rip Van Winkled the last 2 weeks and missed the action in Cooke City, here’s a recap: it snowed a massive amount (11+ feet in 12 days), the winds blew and slopes avalanched bigger than anyone has seen in 20 years. Late Sunday, two snowboarders riding sleds hit a slope on the backside of Daisy Pass and triggered a large avalanche. No one was caught. Many riders are high marking next to huge avalanches, which is risky behavior. Avalanche activity is the #1 sign that adjacent slopes are also dangerous. The snowpack needs time to adjust to this massive load and in the next few days people will still be able to trigger slides. For today, the avalanche danger remains CONSIDERABLE on all slopes.

Last edited:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Snow Dance

The snowman is calling for snow starting tomorrow with a 40% chance. The best chance of snow is on Sunday with a 60% chance. But we do have a chance of snow all next week.
The last time we did the snow dance, it brought us way to much. My guess is to try and dance for a couple of days to see what might come in.

The garage and bakery has been really busy. I'm having trouble keeping up. But that's a good thing. Thanks to everyone that supports us.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Bountiful Table and Katabatic Brewery.

It has been five days since snow stopped falling around Cooke City. During this time, wind has been relatively calm and temperatures have been above average. This has allowed the snowpack to settle and adjust. As the snowpack gains strength, avalanches are becoming harder to trigger. It has been three days since the last reported avalanche.

This is a tricky and often dangerous time to push it in avalanche terrain. While many slopes are stable, some are not. I would be especially wary of previously wind-loaded slopes, most of which exist in alpine terrain. If you do commit to steeper slopes, dig a snowpit, make sure you have avalanche rescue gear, and only expose one rider at a time. Remember, if a slide is triggered in these conditions, it will likely be large and destructive. For today, the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on slopes that were previously wind-loaded and MODERATE on all others.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Snow Dance

Afternoon from Bearclaw/bakery and the Super 8 motel. The snowman is calling for snow the whole week. At this time we are getting snow/showers. The temp is at 36 degrees.
The riding is getting crusty and hard in the mornings and it softens up in the afternoon.
We need to keep the snow dance going, need snow bad. Lots of sleds engines going down, also hitting tree's.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today’s advisory is sponsored by Yellowstone Club Community Foundation and Montana Ale Works.
In the mountains around Cooke City, the snowpack is generally deep and stable. However, strong winds out of the W-SW have likely created fresh wind slabs on upper elevation, leeward slopes. These have the potential to fail under the weight of a skier or rider. Persistent weak layers are not widespread around Cooke City, but weak-faceted snow does exist in isolated areas. If a slide does fail on a buried weak layer, it will likely be large and dangerous.

Although avalanches are becoming harder to trigger, now is no time to let your guard down. If you’re out skiing or riding this weekend – carry proper rescue gear, only expose one person at a time to avalanche terrain and always watch your partner from a safe location.

Today, human triggered avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

Have a safe weekend.

Premium Features