• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bca mtn pro vest - Any real customer reviews

Monty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wet Coast
Just looking for some more feedback on this vest as to how well everybody is liking them? one guy I talked to said the front would ride up and hit him in the neck

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
One day with mine and I'm happy with it. Plenty of changes I'd recommend to BCA, but nothing yet that will prevent me from using it the rest of the season.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
What would you change? thanks for the replies

X2 Been looking at these but I just upgraded to a new ABS Ortovox avy pack last year. I really like the idea as I wear a Tekvest and have the BCA Link radio which this is basically an all in one.

Would love to hear more feedback, good and bad!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
like it as a whole would love to have about a bit more space (24oz) in the back pack section. it has just about enough space only for basic gear, shovel, probe and a few small item. no room for a water bladder if you have the above gear so water and sodas have to go other places. this is a love hate as you don't have weight on your back that is not life or rescue important so the pack is about perfect for weight.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
  • I'm not into the external shovel option so my shovel and probe go inside the pack. There are dedicated pockets in there for a shovel blade, handle and probe, but they should also have a velcro strap to keep them in place - as it is they fall out easily when I open the pack for anything else.
  • Bigger pockets in the front. I've grown used to my Ogio vest when dirtbiking and would appreciate similar storage options. At least a pocket for sunglasses for when the helmet comes off. Waterproof pockets would make sense.
  • Some way to cinch the front down low instead of just midway, to keep from getting caught on the mountain loop. Or just a half zipper or straps up high so the bottom pulls off the mountain loop easier.
  • Radio pocket off to the side instead of the middle so it's easier to deal with a longer antenna (non-BCA radio).
  • Any kind of a hook to hang the water bladder from, to keep it from sagging and falling down
  • A diagonal side strap like on Zac Speed chest protector/backpack combos to keep the front from riding up into my neck. This wasn't too bad, but it's also a pretty easy fix.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Great info and feedback!!

This is why I'm not a big fan of purchasing a brand new product right away. It seems there is always room for some improvement and I would guess, next years model will have some tweaks and slight improvements.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I put 1000 miles on the prototype last winter and had zero complaints. It was a huge hit with everyone who tested. Comfort above any other airbag on the market and full protection.
No big pockets on the front so the pockets will not snag branches. This is designed as a low profile design for the hardcore rider. Found that more storage capacity in the pack would pull the rider back. Much thought and testing went into the design to give the best performance, most maneuverability, protection and comfort. Holds the key essential rescue/survival gear, extra nonessential gear can be stored in a tunnel bag.
This is a big change to what was on the market. Very convenient to just put on one item instead of four. It is designed for the BCA BC Link radio.
I'm just a little biased. lol. I helped design it.

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com
Professioanal avalanche education for mountain riders.

Photo: Testing a prototype. November 2014.
picture.php

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
it fits little people( see above) better than real sized men, it fits but if you have ANY belly it will push up some

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've always worn the TekVest, race version and a Float 22 or 32.

Wore my MtnPro Vest yesterday for some real riding (and some garage riding).

Honestly, i didn't know I had it on.
It's awesome.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
We have had guys over 6'4" and over 250 pounds use the vest with no problem. Height range we have fit varies from 5'5" up to 6'5". Has plenty of overlap in the side panels to fit different sized people. Find it fits about 80% of the riders. Designed for more of an athletic build. If you have a big belly, a pack may work better. Try it on.

Mike Duffy

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've always worn the TekVest, race version and a Float 22 or 32.

Wore my MtnPro Vest yesterday for some real riding (and some garage riding).

Honestly, i didn't know I had it on.
It's awesome.

Damn it, posts like this usually end up costing me money.......:face-icon-small-dis

Crash1

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2015
Harbor Springs, Mi
I'm 5'5-1/2", 144 lbs even after Thanksgiving. Never worn a pack, never been out west, but I'm going. This pack fits great, very adjustable, nice job Mike Duffy!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I'm waffling on this one lol. I've been wearing the Snowpulse vest for 3 years. The Snowpulse fits poorly. It REALLY wants to ride up in front unless you wear it TIGHT. It is hot, I run hot anyway. The protection is not enough to really protect your ribs. I broke a rib clean thru 2 seasons ago and tore up the muscles between the ribs. I had a padded shirt under the Snowpulse too. Long painful recovery. Started wearing a TEK vest under the SP vest and it was too hot.
Likes on the BCA. The fit is awesome, I am 6'4' 245, no belly lol, and it feels great at the snow show. Design is clean and lean, just enough room for what you should carry on your back. I use the BCA radios and love them and these vests are set up will for them.
Dislikes. It is a vest and will be warm. The padding/armor is insufficient, way better design than the Snowpulse but still lacking. I don't like my beacon exposed on the front of the vest, I've smashed other stuff in front pockets and one hard hit on the bars and a $300 beacon and a day of riding are done. Beacons are pretty tough but that's a fail. I always carry my beacon in the thigh zip up pocket of my Klim pants so thats not a deal breaker. Or carry it in a harness under the vest.
I am buying new packs/vests for my boys and I this year. I think my son is going to use the BCA vest. My other boy and I are going with packs.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I'm waffling on this one lol. I've been wearing the Snowpulse vest for 3 years. The Snowpulse fits poorly. It REALLY wants to ride up in front unless you wear it TIGHT. It is hot, I run hot anyway. The protection is not enough to really protect your ribs. I broke a rib clean thru 2 seasons ago and tore up the muscles between the ribs. I had a padded shirt under the Snowpulse too. Long painful recovery. Started wearing a TEK vest under the SP vest and it was too hot.
Likes on the BCA. The fit is awesome, I am 6'4' 245, no belly lol, and it feels great at the snow show. Design is clean and lean, just enough room for what you should carry on your back. I use the BCA radios and love them and these vests are set up will for them.
Dislikes. It is a vest and will be warm. The padding/armor is insufficient, way better design than the Snowpulse but still lacking. I don't like my beacon exposed on the front of the vest, I've smashed other stuff in front pockets and one hard hit on the bars and a $300 beacon and a day of riding are done. Beacons are pretty tough but that's a fail. I always carry my beacon in the thigh zip up pocket of my Klim pants so thats not a deal breaker. Or carry it in a harness under the vest.
I am buying new packs/vests for my boys and I this year. I think my son is going to use the BCA vest. My other boy and I are going with packs.

Just curious, you mention that you run "warm" and have issues with the vest and tekvests. I'm actually close to your build but a little shorter and run warm as well. I run a tekvest and don't think I would go without but it took a little while to get dialed in on the heating issue.

It really starts with the base layer, which for me is something like under armor. Then my upper mid layer is only a jersey style shirt, then the tekvest and then my shell outer layer. This set up works pretty good and I'm not overheating like years ago. In the mornings it can be a little chilly but by late morning and on into the day, I'm good to go! I really like wearing the tekvest with the backpack as it takes the weight of the pack and disperses it across the tekvest, instead of your shoulders. Obviously, this is the main idea behind the BCA vest.

I really like hearing the feedback on these new BCA vests, as I'm pretty interested. If I would pull the trigger, I hope a guy wouldn't have to change too much as far as layering from what I run now???

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Dog you are right on. I wear JUST a base layer under my tek vest down to about 20 degrees. Colder than that I add a thin wool t shirt like a smart wool style. And I wear a true shell with zero insulation. I'm cold for a bit and I'm really cold when I stop but pretty much perfect while riding. The problem with the vest over the coat is the coat is pressed down tight over your torso and traps a lot of heat and doesn't allow the gore tex or whatever to breath. Guys that run cold or don't sweat or maybe don't ride as hard this won't be a problem for. I've found that wearing my tek vest under my coat and a true pack style avy pack breathes much better for me and I don't get as wet from sweat. Generally I'd don't get cold unless I get wet.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Dog you are right on. I wear JUST a base layer under my tek vest down to about 20 degrees. Colder than that I add a thin wool t shirt like a smart wool style. And I wear a true shell with zero insulation. I'm cold for a bit and I'm really cold when I stop but pretty much perfect while riding. The problem with the vest over the coat is the coat is pressed down tight over your torso and traps a lot of heat and doesn't allow the gore tex or whatever to breath. Guys that run cold or don't sweat or maybe don't ride as hard this won't be a problem for. I've found that wearing my tek vest under my coat and a true pack style avy pack breathes much better for me and I don't get as wet from sweat. Generally I'd don't get cold unless I get wet.

Awesome info!! Thanks!

My brother in law just bought one of these BCA vests, I'll have to take a real close look and wait and get more feedback on these before pulling the trigger.

Premium Features