• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bare Chassis Build - 2009 800 155 Dragon

J

Justin_Sane

Nov 17, 2012
Alberta, Canada
nice work. I am working on a bottom up build myself (aside from my turbo assault). Im using a custom 163 tunnel that im going to extend to 174 with my own extension and an 09 assault bulkhead.

I agree air rivet gun is the single most important tool for this job lol.

One recommendation from me though, is go to a proper fastener supply place and buy stainless rivets. they are much stronger and dont corrode. But dont misrivet anything because they are also much harder to drill out (you need better drills not the cheap ones lol)

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
I agree Rivets are not a place to cut corners. Structural strength is important to maintain (you do not want to take this sled back apart to replace cheap rivets). I bought all Polaris original replacements...stainless (the gold looking rivets are stainless) all the way. I did buy a small pack of (black) aluminum with a steel mandrel for a few cosmetic locations. Anytime I have needed a longer stainless rivet that I could not buy from Polaris I bought from http://www.greenboatstuff.com/ststblri.html. Titanium drill bits remove stainless rivets easily. Knocking the mandrel out first makes a big difference in the ease of drilling out any rivet.

Should have the shocks from carl's this week and we are working on the sled all day Sunday. A big thank you to my son for helping me...I really like working with him on this sort of project.

NOTE: I worked the hell out of my hood cables on the front bumper to regain the flexibility (I will not be replacing). Now I'm glad I powder coated those cables)

Wish you well on your project....that sounds cool and like a very long sled...post some pics when you can.

Last edited:
J

Justin_Sane

Nov 17, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Right on, I usually ended up grinding the heads off the stainless ones before drilling too. I used some aluminum ones on the vents but used stainless on the boards and tunnel extension (i just riveted the extension on with some longer stainless ones. it actually worked out pretty well nice and solid.

Nice its looking good. I love the IQ, I would rather keep my IQs than move on to the pro. i like your colors. cant wait to see the end results. I love the attention to detail.

Ill post some pics of my project soon. right now its basically a tunnel, bulkhead, suspension brackets, and gas tank, but im still gathering parts. I have a driveline and steering setup on the way. still need an engine, skid and track. etc. Its going to be a turbo chute climber, so thats why its so long. lol

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
One other crucial thing. I have always tried to keep my butt out of debt as much as possible. A person has more choices that way. Debt enslaves people. Just my 2 cents. I know this is a philosophical post here, but we are mentoring young men here too.

This makes this even better for me. Resources for me are 1) Cash for parts, 2) Time, 3) Shop space, 4) Tools, 5) Motivation. so far I'm 1-5 :)

Looking forward to more progress photos.

J

Justin_Sane

Nov 17, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I understand about the resources, I've said those very words at times in life....I'm older now and have collected tools as I went in life.

I bought the dragon a year and a half ago when I was not flush with money. I have purchased parts used and new at the best price I could find. I gathered over time, even though not a real long time period. But I knew what I wanted and stayed the course.

Keep in mind (I don't know how old you are), But I would help any young man that wanted to tackle a project like this. I could have put this sled back together for about 6K total. It would have just been a standard dragon, but a great sled with an Indy Dan's motor.

One other crucial thing. I have always tried to keep my butt out of debt as much as possible. A person has more choices that way. Debt enslaves people. Just my 2 cents. I know this is a philosophical post here, but we are mentoring young men here too.

I agree here totally. I have a lot of tools, I gathered them over time as well (and yes it took a loooong time. I usually buy stuff as I need it for a specific reason, but when theres a sale at canadian tire or somewhere for like 50-70% off, I cant help myself lol.

I gathered parts for my builds over time the same way. sometimes it sucks to buy something thats expensive ish, and know its just going to sit on a shelf for like 6 months or a year. but when you actually get to use it its sweet. I probably spent 8000 on parts when I turboed my assault (that included one or two hard lessons (like breaking a brand new track).

Its a passion thing, and its inspiration to other people sometimes. I know. I have two project sleds and two project cars. not very wise investments i guess, but theres definitely worse hobbies to have. lol

Also, for the fuel injectors. I would just take them to a specialty place (we have a place locally called fuel injection plus) they will flow test and balance your injectors for you. you dont want to find out the hard way that your injectors arent flowing equally, or not working. that was another expensive lesson i learned lol.

Last edited:
J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Last weekend we (almost) installed the skid due to a boneheaded move on both me and my son's part. We installed the skid and realized we did not install the springs before moving the skid in place. So we dropped the rear. We had torqued the bolts before we noticed the springs...and I had changed the torque wrench back to zero.....wish I had thought about that before handing it back to my son who twisted off the bolt. Ugliest snapping sound you can hear! Me "You did not just snap that bolt?" Son: "Yes I did...". ALWAYS, look at your torque wrench setting prior to use!! anyway...We managed to "easy out" the old bolt (took some time). Figured it was a good time to make a list of misc little parts we needed and placed another parts order. Should be here this week. Started to install the wiring harness. (ANYONE) have a good pick of how this was originally installed. (Wish I had taken a pic of that). We also disassembled the old "white) hood to swap the parts to the black hood. Also switching to the analog speedometer....My old eyes like to glance at a moving needle when doing 80 mph.......

Engine goes in next.......Anyone know of a location in Missoula I could have my injectors tested? before we drop in the motor.

Yes the strap holding the sled to the stand is running thru the sleeves of the shirt. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Skid (1).jpg Skid (2).jpg

Last edited:
J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
My parts did not arrive this week. I was overly busy at work anyway....but I'm anxious to get further along. I did get the tail light to the auto shop. they are smoking it for me. should be a nice touch.

Again, does anyone have a pic of their wiring harness in it's original position? Showing how it is routed around the jackshaft area?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Make sure to follow the manual on where the zip ties go and add a few more . The factory didn't quite get it right , the wire harness wore threw against the motor mount strap and the second is just shows how the cable was wearing threw the rail .

IMG_20131020_091741_644 (450x800).jpg IMG_20131020_091248_499 (450x800).jpg

Last edited:
J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Hello everyone, hunting season is over and we are back to working on the sled. We put the motor back in place (decided to replace the pull rope prior to doing so). Made the oil Pump adjustments per Indy Dan and are waiting for confirmation that we did it correctly before torqueing down the motor.

A couple pics - Note the smoked taillight.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Smoked Tail light.jpg Motor in.jpg

Last edited:
S
Feb 2, 2009
Mn
Hello everyone, hunting season is over and we are back to working on the sled. We put the motor back in place (decided to replace the pull rope prior to doing so). Made the oil Pump adjustments per Indy Dan and are waiting for confirmation that we did it correctly before torqueing down the motor.

A couple pics - Note the smoked taillight.

attachment.php

attachment.php

What did you use to smoke your taillight?

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
My Son and I got some work done on the sled today!

- Fenders with the X-treme Shock tower Vents.
- Gas Tank, Seat - one bag
- Installed the heat protective foils in the front nose. Added a little extra.
- Hooked up the water hoses and part of the electrical

WE are still messing with the oil adjustment.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

P1010007.jpg P1010011.jpg P1010008.jpg P1010005.jpg

Last edited:
J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Smoked Tail Light Answer: I took it to an auto body shop. I believe they use a 50/50 mix - clear coat / black paint and sprayed it for me. It came out perfect.

Last edited:
J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Hello Everyone, My son and I had a big weekend working on the Sled. We had an agonizing day Saturday working on getting the motor CTC and the "off set" correct. We had to keep pulling the motor straps and cutting with a bur bit. It was not fun and we did not finish till Sunday. We were both so pissed Saturday night we had to stop working on the sled.

It's down hill from here (I believe). I dropped the hood off today to be polished at the auto body shop that did the tail light for me (big thanks to those guys). will post more pics very soon....Can't wait to ride this sled. :)

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Finished the side vents: I decided to leave some of the insulation on the Exhaust side cover to protect the fender on the new/used side cover. I removed all foam from the clutch side cover. When I got this sled, the exhaust side cover was melted in spots. I think there should be enough air flow. Here are some pics and I also covered the front belt guard bracket (?) with reflective tape. I will use it for the side reflectors also replacing the yellow reflectors.

I'll pick up the black hood from the Auto body shop today. They buffed it for me. it's used but will be as good a it can be.

P1010032.jpg P1010036.jpg P1010037.jpg P1010039.jpg P1010042.jpg P1010043.jpg

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The blue reflector tape is pretty cool , I took the yellow off of the side panel and replaced it with silver and replaced the red factor plastic by the rear bumper with red reflector . It's in the detail , now if you guys would just get it put together so we can see it :face-icon-small-hap

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Really cool; really inspiring! This is definitely one thing that I will do before my time is up. Thanks for all the updates and pics.

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Build continued.............

Hello Everyone, I thought today I would bring it all up to date. It seems like a long time as there were issues that took place last year and I parked it, so I could ride out the rest of the year on my old sled. I have sold my 2002 and 2003 sleds. I finished putting in the motor last night. I installed the motor for the 3rd and last time I hope.

Last year I got it together and motor failed in 25 miles. I let it sit over the rest of the winter and warm months. Installed the motor this early winter.....started it and motor was recalled the next day. Now the motor is in place once again and started it yesterday. I did more work on it. I will summarize this build and still have a few more things to add for insight to a build like this.

What I did this year:

1. Had the injectors checked and cleaned.
2. I installed the ($28.00) Thermostat Mod. (read the threads to understand the benefits to the motor besides just lower engine temps)
3. <Future Addition> at a later date I will add the SLP pipe /can in the garage. But not yet.

Here are pics of my sled and the Thermostat mods link.....I apologize for disappearing. I was disheartened at one point.....but no more :)

Thermostat (28.00) Mod

My thread has pics, with a parts list.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3807116

My sled finished and running - 0 miles:

attachment.php

2713 less pix.jpg 2715 less pix.jpg 2716 less pix.jpg 2718 less pix.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features