• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Baldy conditions - Wasilla

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Uploaded a couple pics from Baldy on Wednesday. Some good snow up there now and these were before the last foot or so we just got a couple days ago.

P1030717.jpg

P1030723.jpg

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
Rode Bauldy yesterday...forgot the camera...I KNOW:eek:...anyway like Stewart said the extra foot was NICE!!! I was plesantly surprized!! :D The trees were pretty deep in spots and the draws up to the top were nice too....plenty to get stuck in...still a few open creeks but nothing major!!:D ENJOY

A
Nov 26, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
I was up on the Willow side (Churchill trail) on Fri. Good snow there too.

Good snow everywhere in the Hatchers area now. I left Sat afternoon and still no wind. Hope it stays that way.

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
looks good can someone give me alittle bit better direcitons than whats in the directory in the AK section? And a brief description of what the terrain is like. Is it steep as hell and loaded with boulders to total a sled on like crashers pass or is it nice meadows like in the pictures. Just courious if I can take a beginner rider there are not.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
If you go up from Church Rd. it is pretty mellow. The trail up can get thin and kind of icy in spots and rutted out from 4x4's using the trail but it's not too bad. Once you're on top it's easy terrain. There are some fairly steep hills if you want to climb but there's also a ton of wide open flat terrain to ride. It's a fun area when they have snow. The trail up is a little over 3 miles. I don't know about taking a first time rider up there, but if they've been on a sled a few times and know about weight distribution(both feet on one running board) I think they'd be fine.

If you do go...after you do about 3/4 mile worth of moguls look for a trail on your left. Take that through the woods and go left again, it will seem like you're doubling back for a bit but it's much easier than taking the regular trail which can have a nasty icy/rocky S-turn at times.

Last edited:
D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
looks good can someone give me alittle bit better direcitons than whats in the directory in the AK section? And a brief description of what the terrain is like. Is it steep as hell and loaded with boulders to total a sled on like crashers pass or is it nice meadows like in the pictures. Just courious if I can take a beginner rider there are not.

I don't know that I would take someone who can't handle a sled very well. Sections of the climb are icy and bare and you have to keep on the flipper. Then again, we all had to learn sooner or later.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Hey`

Going up is the easy part....its coming down thats exciting!!!!!

This fall I had a good time in my brother-in-laws Rhino....WOOOO-HOOOOOO

WTH these friggin' career students? LOL!! Hey Joe, don't remember the ride in the fall being so bad. Got a moose up in there a couple years ago and have wanted to get a snowmachine up there since. Last year wasn't the year but looks like this year is the one. Heading for Hatchers in the morning. Woo Hoo!!:D

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Sold the XP

Going up is the easy part....its coming down thats exciting!!!!!

This fall I had a good time in my brother-in-laws Rhino....WOOOO-HOOOOOO

Hey Joe,
Sold my XP to a friend and picked up an 07 800REV Summit-X159 with plenty of candy. How cool is that? What an awesome sled, climbs like a home sick angel. SWEET!!!!!:face-icon-small-blu

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
Back on the old rev chassis....nice.

It started raining on us this fall when we were coming down. Turned that clay-dirt so slippery you could hardly stand up. If we were on wheelers, it would have been less exciting, but you cant use body english on a Rhino...like I said, it was really exciting coming down the top two climbs....

Later

Joe

T
Nov 21, 2007
Wasilla Alaska
I don't know that I would take someone who can't handle a sled very well. Sections of the climb are icy and bare and you have to keep on the flipper. Then again, we all had to learn sooner or later.

I've taken my daughters back there a few times , it's no big deal if they know to stay on the throttle and get a good running start .

100_0349.jpg

Premium Features