• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys front-rear weight balance

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I don't see any threads regarding this mater at all, and I think this is a pretty important topic however I cannot discuss this among my friends, they are simply oblivious about how important sled setup is and how this may affect their riding

I just want to share my thought and experiences and I am hoping someone who rides better than me can share their insight into my thinking.

So basically when I receive a new sled I have a certain setup procedure with suspension that I always do, that is I make the Front-Rear shock softer so that the sled climbs on snow better, also I make the Rear-Rear shock slightly softer so that more weight is transferred into the back of the sled. I usually do not touch Front-Front shocks at all. I do not like my sleds to be nose heavy, it feels to me like with the nose heavy sled the traction in the back is much worse and most importantly I feel like my hands are getting tired very quickly while side hilling. On the other hand the downside of having slightly more weight to the back is that on steep uphills the nose of the sled might go up, however I am able to counter that with my body going over the handlebar. I generally feel that it is much more natural feeling of the sled when there is more weight in the back. Now I do not mean that I have 50% more weight in the back, in my settings the difference is subtle - it feels like there is just a little bit more weight to the back. I would like to know other riders opinion and if my thinking is correct, I did try all kinds of settings and this feels the most natural to me. It is also my understanding that the new Khaos is set up to have a lighter front (so definitely more weight to the back), but they achieved this by changing the geometry of the skid and not by messing with the rear shock settings, I did not ride Khaos and my opinion is based purely on the description of changes they made to the sled, can someone who rode Khaos confirm this? I just recently saw a video by Caleb Kesterke on how easily he flips the khaos and of course the guy has unbelievable skills but it looks pretty clear to me that this sled has a very light front

This is for technical riding, I am in no way as good as Chris Burandt but for the limited amount of snow that we get each winter I like to think I am decent. I have been riding only Polaris all my life, starting with the pre-axys RMK and I did ride both 155 and 163, my findings are all universal among all track lengths in my opinion

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The Khaos has a 180# rear spring and the Rmk has a 210# rear track shock spring. To soft and you will increase trenching. The Gen 4 Ski Doo feels like it has power steering because the back is so soft. The problem that I have had on the Axys when going to soft is it will bottom out more. I hate a sled that feels like its on rails, it just wears you out.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
The Khaos has a 180# rear spring and the Rmk has a 210# rear track shock spring. To soft and you will increase trenching. The Gen 4 Ski Doo feels like it has power steering because the back is so soft. The problem that I have had on the Axys when going to soft is it will bottom out more. I hate a sled that feels like its on rails, it just wears you out.

as I understand 180 and 210 is spring stifness, so Khaos has a softer Rear track spring meaning it is slightly similar to my personal setup on Axys platform. I do not ever have a problem with trenching, snow here is not bottomless and also I trench only when I make some stupid error, I do not jump either - we have no terrain for that. What does it mean that the sled is on rails?

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
On rails means super heavy front end. I bet if the front suspension arm was put in the bottom hole and the 180# spring in the rear. It might feel similar to a khaos?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
There might not be any threads about this in the 850 forum, but there is in the axys forum.

I have put my sleds on a set of digital racing scales for several years now. I put one scale pad under each ski, one under the FTS and one under the RTS. If you place a 2x4 on edge, between the track lugs the load will be coming directly from the rails and you get accurate readings.

If you want to know what spring adjustments actually do, this is how you do it.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
There might not be any threads about this in the 850 forum, but there is in the axys forum.

I have put my sleds on a set of digital racing scales for several years now. I put one scale pad under each ski, one under the FTS and one under the RTS. If you place a 2x4 on edge, between the track lugs the load will be coming directly from the rails and you get accurate readings.

If you want to know what spring adjustments actually do, this is how you do it.

I do not think that so accurate measurements with scale are necessary, when setting up my sled I go for my gut feeling. In this thread I just wanted to confirm that people tend to have slightly more weight in the back like I do and that it is the proper way to set up sled

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I do not think that so accurate measurements with scale are necessary, when setting up my sled I go for my gut feeling. In this thread I just wanted to confirm that people tend to have slightly more weight in the back like I do and that it is the proper way to set up sled

Is this a new concept?

I mean to you?

Suspension adjustment for riding style is kind of like “sledding 101”

Everyone who progresses past the sit down hillclimb days should have a basic idea what the adjustments do.

Are you looking for affirmation?

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
Is this a new concept?

I mean to you?

Suspension adjustment for riding style is kind of like “sledding 101”

Everyone who progresses past the sit down hillclimb days should have a basic idea what the adjustments do.

Are you looking for affirmation?

I am sorry I do not know a "sledding 101", everything I know comes from my personal experience and reading this forum :) I know what adjustments do, I am just looking to confirm that my sled setup is correct and the best I can get, so I am looking for "confirmation"

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I am sorry I do not know a "sledding 101", everything I know comes from my personal experience and reading this forum :) I know what adjustments do, I am just looking to confirm that my sled setup is correct and the best I can get, so I am looking for "confirmation"

The way you have it setup sounds like the best bet for marginal snow and low angle hills.

#wheelieallday

reuben

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2007
I use a Carls Cycle suspension setup and it has not failed me for over 20 years. I also rely on movement of feet on the rails and I adjust my handlebars so my weight is where I want it. I think the handlebars is often over looked adjustment, but it works for me.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I agree that a sled that transfers more is fun but when you climb steep terrain it gets out of control quickly. I like to have light steering by cranking up the front skid shock a bit but that usually makes a wheelie machine unless you have a way of reducing the wheelies when you want. I recommend a suspension coupler that can be dialed in and out for the type of riding you want to do. We make and sell a coupler for Polaris. It works great. Most guys ride them how they come out of the box but they are leaving a lot of performance on the table.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I agree that a sled that transfers more is fun but when you climb steep terrain it gets out of control quickly. I like to have light steering by cranking up the front skid shock a bit but that usually makes a wheelie machine unless you have a way of reducing the wheelies when you want. I recommend a suspension coupler that can be dialed in and out for the type of riding you want to do. We make and sell a coupler for Polaris. It works great. Most guys ride them how they come out of the box but they are leaving a lot of performance on the table.
Chris, I just loosened the fts
,2 turns from stock ,cause mine felt to light and for the first time ever I was experiencing to much ski lift when climbing steep deep snow in sicamous and I felt my carbides weren't grabbing enough when I needed the steering grip, so I'm gonna try this for a few rides.

Premium Features